24 Clubs Outside Super League

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fax have been planning for no funding since 2020 got cancelled. We will be in good shape. Strangely I think the reduction in funding would help our chances of a future promotion but it is going to reduce the quality in the championship as we will lose some players to the amateur game and it will make it hard to keep a promotion and relegation system with SL.

23 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax have been planning for no funding since 2020 got cancelled. We will be in good shape. Strangely I think the reduction in funding would help our chances of a future promotion but it is going to reduce the quality in the championship as we will lose some players to the amateur game and it will make it hard to keep a promotion and relegation system with SL.

Yes gonna loose players to Queensland Cup & NSW Cup as well. 

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Can all 24 Clubs below SL continue paying players beyond the current deal assuming nil central funding? Who no? Who yes?

Thoughts welcome 👇 

There won't be nil central funding, although it will be cut significantly.

The real question is what is the pay threshold below which players simply won't be interested in playing in these leagues?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

There won't be nil central funding, although it will be cut significantly.

The real question is what is the pay threshold below which players simply won't be interested in playing in these leagues?

Yes that is the real question mate.

A significant (noticeable & nice) monthly wedge in the bank to supplement non rugby jobs for part timers, gotta be worth their while for the massive Commitment of Championship Rugby, not so bad Commitment wise for L1. 

Then for handful of full timers in several teams, cost of living upwards......

People seem to think the quality gap through the 24 will be massively reduced, I don't think so, players will still go to Clubs with the best coaching staff and the best training & playing facilities, as well as want to play in front of the larger crowds. 

3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

People seem to think the quality gap through the 24 will be massively reduced, I don't think so, players will still go to Clubs with the best coaching staff and the best training & playing facilities, as well as want to play in front of the larger crowds. 

You might get knock on effects like good coaches and backroom staff leaving the game which could effect quality. Also with less money to spend there will be more young players that the SL teams don't deem good enough that won't get a shot in the championship simply because there wont be the money available to try them.

It will be interesting to see if there is any shake up in the order although personally I don't think there will be much change if any. 

Not nil funding but massively reduced. Will affect some clubs more than others but 'expansion' clubs will be most affected. Mainly because their player pool will be reduced. Teams in the heartlands will still be able to recruit from any number of local community clubs. 

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

Oldham will be knackered, no ground, playing outside the town and an aged, dwindling fan base. I think more clubs will go bump and we'll lose a truckload of history and heritage. 

I think you are unfortunately going to be proven right.I think we will lose a number of clubs both traditional and established along with some of the more recent clubs.

The harsh fact is that there is simply not the money in rugby league to sustain 24 clubs outside of Super League.And dare I say I think some Super League clubs will be worried about their long term Super League status and whether they make the final cut.

I think realistically Wigan,Warrington,St Helens,Leeds and probably Hull are the 5 absolute nailed on certs who will have a bright future no matter what.

The remaining 31 clubs I think will have some worries,some more than others regardless of division 

5 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think you are unfortunately going to be proven right.I think we will lose a number of clubs both traditional and established along with some of the more recent clubs.

The harsh fact is that there is simply not the money in rugby league to sustain 24 clubs outside of Super League.And dare I say I think some Super League clubs will be worried about their long term Super League status and whether they make the final cut.

I think realistically Wigan,Warrington,St Helens,Leeds and probably Hull are the 5 absolute nailed on certs who will have a bright future no matter what.

The remaining 31 clubs I think will have some worries,some more than others regardless of division 

It's going to be a very unfortunate situation. 

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

It's going to be a very unfortunate situation. 

I have seen it suggested that there will only be 10 Super League clubs and 12 Championship clubs that will be the professional/semi professional clubs remaining.The rest will become amateur.

As to who will make the final cut of 22 and what the criteria will be in order to make that cut I don’t know but I think it will be quite tough. And it will be a blood bath with a lot of casualties.

52 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

I have seen it suggested that there will only be 10 Super League clubs and 12 Championship clubs that will be the professional/semi professional clubs remaining.The rest will become amateur.

As to who will make the final cut of 22 and what the criteria will be in order to make that cut I don’t know but I think it will be quite tough. And it will be a blood bath with a lot of casualties.

22 yep, but reckon other way around so 12 SL & 10 Championship. I just can't see how the game can sustain the other 14 come next year. 

What a nightmare. 

All 36 club chairman fairly tight lipped currently so don't think anyone knows how to go about this. Don't think anyone, including SL want to loose clubs, could well be inevitable. 

31 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

22 yep, but reckon other way around so 12 SL & 10 Championship. I just can't see how the game can sustain the other 14 come next year. 

What a nightmare. 

All 36 club chairman fairly tight lipped currently so don't think anyone knows how to go about this. Don't think anyone, including SL want to loose clubs, could well be inevitable. 

It’s not for the game to sustain the others, it’s up to those clubs, if they can afford to run as a semi professional operation using their own resources then good on them. 

Non S.L. clubs may be in a better position than the fully professional teams.Only the odd full time players so most will combine working and playing.Before S.L players didn't just play for the money.But looked forward to a bit of bonus if on a Cup run or big game and of course the brown envelope when another club wanted to sign them.Trinity had a good side in the early sixties and one player told me sometimes  they would take it a bit easy in a game knowing the director would offer them another £5 a man if they won.The performance often improved after half time.

What a nightmare. 

We will lose clubs.I am afraid that is inevitable.There simply is just not enough money in rugby league to sustain 36 professional/semi professional clubs.

I think the nailed on certs in Super League are Wigan,Warrington,St Helens,Leeds and Hull.

After that I really don’t know who will make the final cut but we will one way or another see 12 or 14 clubs no longer exist as a professional/semi professional outfit.And some clubs will just fade and die.

Doncaster can't be overlooked

marvelous Stadium, medium to fairly large sized town & Borough, Couple of well established amateur Clubs, very close to heartlands, Northern parts of Borough, where amateurs are located, actually in the heartlands. Verified (blue tick) twitter that has just reached over 10k followers, if you look at other league 1 clubs and some Championship it's plain to see they have put the effort in on digital engagement, head and shoulders above peers. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Think we could lose 3 or 4 and Fev's window for promotion closes. 

No it doesn't, Featherstone came top between 2010 and 2013 when the funding was very minimal. 

Anyway, all of this is very sad, the game is shrinking by greed and selfishness.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Sad state of affairs but Doncaster are a better option than the three Cumbria Clubs. But Cumberland & Barrow & District have a mega amateur scene. Tough decisions ahead.....

Not sure we’re your coming from there mate at barrow we are pulling some of the biggest gates out side super league we own our ground with good income streams. 

6 minutes ago, Butch said:

Not sure we’re your coming from there mate at barrow we are pulling some of the biggest gates out side super league we own our ground with good income streams. 

Craven Park seems to be rapidly deteriorating though, hasn't it got a reduced capacity of only 3k these days? And the clubs digital profile seems to be going backwards, a lot of work seems needed to be done on digital and on Stadium.......

33 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Craven Park seems to be rapidly deteriorating though, hasn't it got a reduced capacity of only 3k these days? And the clubs digital profile seems to be going backwards, a lot of work seems needed to be done on digital and on Stadium.......

Work is being done on the ground it actually looks the best it has done for a lot of years. But what ever state the ground is it is our asset that most rl clubs no longer have. 

Archived