24 Clubs Outside Super League

24 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

In reality most sports have little real concern with viability. When sports become businesses is the time that they cease to be sport in its purest form and simply money making ventures. Maybe that is what most "fans" of these sports thrive on but I have always, naively I guess, believed that RL is just a little different.

I know what you mean but to an extent clubs always have been a business, most lower league clubs have had to sell players to make ends meet at some point. To be fair the club you support do run a tight ship and don’t spend money they haven’t got. My point is that everyone has argued that clubs should all receive the same amount of central funding which I don’t have a problem with but if that’s the case should there not be a case of a limit on funding from the owners and make it a level playing field?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

The problem is clubs are spending money they don’t have, would you really have a business where you just keep pouring money in with no chance of ever recouping it is total madness.

They do have the money, the rich people are giving it to them. If that stops they'll have to adjust. 

But banning rich people from giving some clubs extra money does nothing to save the basket cases from going bankrupt. They'll still be as broke as they were the day before. 

The truth is, we all like to find a bogeyman to blame bad things on in life, and in rugby league that's variously 'Super greed', the RFL, Rupert Murdoch, or in this case rich benefactors. 

But as in real life, the blame can usually found with oneself - or factors that noone can control. 

The rugby league clubs that have gone under - or may go under in future - will have gone largely due to a combination of bad management and societal and sporting changes they couldn't control. ie, local people just didn't care enough any more. 

20 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

I know what you mean but to an extent clubs always have been a business, most lower league clubs have had to sell players to make ends meet at some point. To be fair the club you support do run a tight ship and don’t spend money they haven’t got. My point is that everyone has argued that clubs should all receive the same amount of central funding which I don’t have a problem with but if that’s the case should there not be a case of a limit on funding from the owners and make it a level playing field?

I disagree, fundamentally.

Businesses exist to make profits, purely and simply. The vehicles that they use to make such profits may be arbitrary so long as profits ensue.

Clubs exist to provide sporting experiences to participants and spectators. Along the line they have to somehow make the books balance in order to pat their way.

Much of sport, notably that sold as such in the USA, is now purely a business. Hence the drive by owners to minimise risk and uncertainty. We are now hearing the same arguments from SL clubs here.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

For me clubs should be self sufficient on top of the money rather than relying on it. For example Dewsbury have the Carboot that brings in extra revenue. Batley have been utilising their stadium for years hence why they are one of very few without recent financial problems. Barrow are giving it a massive push this year plus Keighley are trying to bring Cougar time back.

One connection with these is that they have their own stadiums. 

My fear us for some of the others. Oldham and Swinton spring to mind. Swinton tried to rebrand to try and take the club forward. That was poopooed by the fans. This day and age particularly after last year fans need to be open minded. Drastic change at some clubs may save them.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

41 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I disagree, fundamentally.

Businesses exist to make profits, purely and simply. The vehicles that they use to make such profits may be arbitrary so long as profits ensue.

Clubs exist to provide sporting experiences to participants and spectators. Along the line they have to somehow make the books balance in order to pat their way.

Much of sport, notably that sold as such in the USA, is now purely a business. Hence the drive by owners to minimise risk and uncertainty. We are now hearing the same arguments from SL clubs here.

That’s okay it’s really just terminology really you have to provide the money to operate a team because there are costs involved, whether you call that a business or just a club is up to you.

Archived