Possible farce?

Workington have their Rochdale game cancelled this weekend. It already seems unlikely that there is room in calender for their Coventry game to be played. I suppose they could rearrange the Rochdale game for an evening kick off?.

So why a possible farce? In the event of Workington not playing again this season they would be promoted on their 83.33 ratio. Barrow with 85.00 could drop below the 83.33 should they lose at home to Coventry ( I know! I know). If no more games were played after this weekend Barrow played 11  would be below Workington played 9.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Workington have their Rochdale game cancelled this weekend. It already seems unlikely that there is room in calender for their Coventry game to be played. I suppose they could rearrange the Rochdale game for an evening kick off?.

So why a possible farce? In the event of Workington not playing again this season they would be promoted on their 83.33 ratio. Barrow with 85.00 could drop below the 83.33 should they lose at home to Coventry ( I know! I know). If no more games were played after this weekend Barrow played 11  would be below Workington played 9.

What's the minimum amount of games required to qualify for promotion or promotion Playoff though? 

13 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I don’t understand the point . Firstly It’s not a farce it’s just the way things are with with all the protocols , and secondly it’s highly unlikely no more games are going to be played . Thirdly deciding on win percentage is not satisfactory but the situation is far from satisfactory as we see across the leagues . The same debate could be had many times with other teams and scenarios across the divisions 

18 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Ron, just take a look at the Championship table! Toulouse top with 18 points, Feb second with 24 !!!

8 minutes ago, Bring back GB said:

Ron, just take a look at the Championship table! Toulouse top with 18 points, Feb second with 24 !!!

Points are worthless this season.  Don’t know why tables are published with them included

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Points are worthless this season.  Don’t know why tables are published with them included

Well London have just been docked 2 points and their W/L %age adjusted accordingly.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

They’ve had a win deducted.  No table is measured on points

Yeah. I think you're looking at it in a weird way.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

14 hours ago, Bearman said:

How would you suggest the game should have operated this year given the extreme likelihood that games were going to be cancelled due to covid? The only reasonable solution was percentage based win ratio and whilst not ideal does at least give an indication of the better teams in the league. Not sure if league 1 operate under the same guidelines as super league but they are required to play 70% of fixtures or 18 out of 25. So if no more games were played neither Barrow or Workington would have met the 70% criteria as neither would have played 13 games. 

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

They’ve had a win deducted.  No table is measured on points

Which is why I said their W/L 5age was adjusted accordingly. The announcements still, said that they had been deducted two points.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 hours ago, IanMac said:

How would you suggest the game should have operated this year given the extreme likelihood that games were going to be cancelled due to covid? The only reasonable solution was percentage based win ratio and whilst not ideal does at least give an indication of the better teams in the league. Not sure if league 1 operate under the same guidelines as super league but they are required to play 70% of fixtures or 18 out of 25. So if no more games were played neither Barrow or Workington would have met the 70% criteria as neither would have played 13 games. 

The RFL said all teams had to play 70% of games to get in play offs so

SL                             18 out of 25

championship          16 out of 22

league 1                    13 out of 18      

the rfl  also said that if games were cancelled due to covid they would not be detrimental to teams league positions  and if teams didn't reach the criteria their league position would be calculated on WP% and DIF%

On 21/07/2021 at 18:17, Bearman said:

In the event of Workington not playing again this season they would be promoted on their 83.33 ratio. Barrow with 85.00 could drop below the 83.33 should they lose at home to Coventry ( I know! I know)

Ron, I just love your optimism, the saving grace is whichever team wins on Sunday you will go home a happy man.........bring both scarfs to be on the safe side. 

The season is farcical whatever way you look at it. Next year's format and prize monies not known. Players swapped around clubs willy nilly. Points/percentages. Bradford. Clubs postponing games to suit. Challenge Cup not taking all teams. It's all a bit of a joke. But it's our joke. It's all a means to an end so let's hope everyone gets through it o.k. and next season we can all get back to some normality. 🏉 😊

Archived