Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

If I believed for a second it was about COVID, I would have some sympathy. But these people are pretty open about their desire to kill off international rugby so they can turn more and more in on themselves. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

55 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Disappointing but not surprising. Given everyone is in bubbles in Australia it’s a lot of ask of players from a mental health point of view to continue that and then quarantine. Yes some will happily do it but I’m actually of the view it might be better now to wait a year when we could hopefully get a good run at it, to allow more international supporters to attend, hopefully sponsors will stay on board and we’ll pick up a few more and hopefully all other partners stick with us 🤞

That’s my glass half full view. 

On the flip side, there’s no guarantee things are going to be any better next year 

No guarantee Australia will be better.  Their  vaccine programme is garbage.  How can the Olympics go on?  Loads of sporte people from all. over going.  Not least the Chinese for gawds sake.   Are Aussie NZ sports people not going?

This had a cheap garbage decision and lots of politics in it.  I see that that Naga woman wad happy to nod to Aussie NZ politicians and somehow blame it on us.

• Like 1

RLWC organisers' Twitter statement:

RLWC2021 note the disappointing statement made by the ARLC and NZRL which may have wide ranging implications for international Rugby League. RLWC2021 were informed at very short notice and will continue discussions with all stakeholders to agree on the best way forward.

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

This is not a surprise and I don’t actually blame them. Our own government appear to have made a decision to open up just as the rest of the world are making decisions to lock down harder and there’s even talk about the Olympics being cancelled at this late stage. 

what concerns me is that this decision comes so close to the announcement that the competition was going ahead. It’s almost as though their concerns were ignored, and an announcement made to crack on regardless in an effort to force their hand. But that would never happen in RL would it. 

Some much bigger sporting competitions that the RL World Cup have been postponed by COVID. I see no embarrassment or concern in RL doing so until next year and that should have been decided months ago, rather than waiting on decision making which is looking increasingly shaky. 

Are other countries locking up  harder?   Ask that to all the Italians celebrating the Euros. Are you being stopped from going into a cafe etc in France.

We are heavily vaccinated and overwhelmingly safe. We should take sensible precautions and we have many treatments for the illness.   How is it that we can have the Lions tour in SA...   Well !?  SA has not stopped it

This is Aussie NZ politics.  And they will pressurise the Islanders next, because loads play in the NRL.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A lot of anger here, I’m devastated too, but thinking about the players I think it’s reasonable for them to want to spend time with their families rather than come over here for six weeks. 

Nobody has suggested forcing players to travel. Have any players said they don't want to come?

• Like 3

There seems to be a slight change of emphasis on their reasons for crying off. From 'it will disrupt our preseason' to 'the risk of catching covid in the UK is too high'. 

Surely they have time to get all participants vaccinated before then (3 months?) Even if they have to pay for them. 

Assuming they are not just looking for excuses 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A lot of anger here, I’m devastated too, but thinking about the players I think it’s reasonable for them to want to spend time with their families rather than come over here for six weeks. 

Yes mate but surely you’ll find a squad worth of players that would want to play in a World Cup?

Those that want to spend time with their family’s fine. 

• Like 2

Very disappointing decision when you consider that the Olympics are going ahead with Australia & New Zealand participating. It remains to be seen if this call was based on the players or just made by administrators? For players I understand it is tough. NZ warriors have been based in Australia for almost 2 seasons now, whole NRL has been relocated to Queensland. Players would have to undergo 2 week quarantine when coming home after the tournament. But Australia and New Zealand could just select players prepared to do 2 weeks quarantine after the World Cup. 

Edited by John Drake
Covid stuff removed, belongs in political forum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davet said:

"The majority of NRL players are currently living away from home under difficult biosecurity protocols. They would then be required to remain under protocols and away from home for the duration of the tournament before again quarantining on return to Australia. This is too much to ask our players and officials to do.

Have they actually asked the players what THEY want to do??

I suspect they have yes. Moreso than I expect they haven’t.

52 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The Wallabies and the All Blacks still doing their Autumn tours? 

So what? Completely different circumstances and since when do two wrongs make a right?

• Haha 1

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

I suspect they have yes. Moreso than I expect they haven’t.

So what? Completely different circumstances and since when do two wrongs make a right?

what circumstances have the RU counterparts that have enabled them to travel? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

NZ signed a conditional participation agreement ?  Was it simply to do what the ARL told them

Agreement not worth the paper it was written on.

Australian politics is corrupt, it always has been.  NZ is full of bleedin heart liberals. 

Edited by Rupert Prince

Given our Covid figures against theirs and how quickly they then jump into lockdowns, it’s not that much of a surprise they don’t want to be part of it. Whether that’s an easy excuse for them to jump on the coat tails of, I’m not sure. 

As for postponing it, it’s not quite as easy as we’d likely have to find some new venues to host games. 

3 minutes ago, WSRD said:

487 competitors over 33 sports comprise the Australian Olympic team for Tokyo says it all for myself, what is the difference?

The NRL are only concerned with the NRL.

The Olympics is going to descend into farce, it shouldn’t be happening. Give it three or four weeks and I think a lot of people’s view about this decision might change. 

44 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Not just the international game but the domestic game in Europe is now in even bigger trouble

The domestic game being in trouble has absolutely nothing to do with the presence or lack thereof an international scene.

30 minutes ago, JohnM said:

A clearly very angry Claire Balding live on BBC  1 Breakfast TV this morning. She says it's incomprehensible. She says if the All Blacks and Wallabys can come here this autumn, why not kangaroos and NZ. 

Then she is ignorant to current global conditions and mindsets.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Yes mate but surely you’ll find a squad worth of players that would want to play in a World Cup?

Those that want to spend time with their family’s fine. 

True, but we’re also in the middle of a global pandemic, however much we love it this is just sport.