Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

11 minutes ago, Moove said:

Nobody has suggested forcing players to travel. Have any players said they don't want to come?

I am certain the RLPA have been in discussion, as they would kick up a stink if they hadn’t.

It would be a case of one out, all out.

I'm picking it will be called off now but it shouldn’t. Sport is going on all around the world. When the NZRL came out saying they wanted assurances of player safety when obviously the organisers had already given them that, I had my suspicions that this was a precursor to a jointly organised decision to pull out. The will to make the effort wasn’t there from either NZ or Australia. 
There can still be an entertaining tournament for people to enjoy. If it can be held without negative financial implications then bring it on.

• Like 6

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

what circumstances have the RU counterparts that have enabled them to travel? 

They haven’t been living in the same bubble conditions for the last 16 months that the NRL players have. That’s a start isn’t it?

10 minutes ago, WSRD said:

487 competitors over 33 sports comprise the Australian Olympic team for Tokyo says it all for myself, what is the difference?

The NRL are only concerned with the NRL.

Huge difference. Work it out for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

They haven’t been living in the same bubble conditions for the last 16 months that the NRL players have. That’s a start isn’t it?

Maybe the NRL shouldn’t be putting everybody in bubbles away from their homes now then? 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

So what? Completely different circumstances and since when do two wrongs make a right?

And the Olympic athletes to Japan, and the Football team will presumably be playing internationals?

And obviously the rest of the world are playing international sports in other countries too.

How many "wrongs" do you have to see before you start thinking maybe you're actually not "right"?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

True, but we’re also in the middle of a global pandemic, however much we love it this is just sport. 

A GLOBAL pandemic? A GLOBAL GLOBAL epidemic?  Or an epidemic of antipodean cant and hypocrisy?   Handing the intiative to rugby union? A gift from heaven to kicks n clap more like.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Maybe the NRL shouldn’t be putting everybody in bubbles away from their homes now then? 

If they didn’t do that, there wouldn’t be an NRL. Don’t be naive. If you don’t understand the landscape of the requirements for professional domestic sport here, don’t make statements that demonstrate your ignorance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Are other countries locking up  harder?   Ask that to all the Italians celebrating the Euros. Are you being stopped from going into a cafe etc in France. - Not without a “COVID pass” - imagine the outrage from the liberty brigade here if that was the case here. 

We are heavily vaccinated and overwhelmingly safe. We should take sensible precautions and we have many treatments for the illness.   How is it that we can have the Lions tour in SA...   Well !?  SA has not stopped it - as I understood it they’re not having crowds and the players are effectively in a bubble?

This is Aussie NZ politics.  And they will pressurise the Islanders next, because loads play in the NRL. - I’ve already said that. All SH and some NH teams rely on the NRL to provide players. There’s no way they will release them now. This is the Australian RL commission that has announced this not the NRL so it’s going to effect everyone based there. 

As above 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A lot of anger here, I’m devastated too, but thinking about the players I think it’s reasonable for them to want to spend time with their families rather than come over here for six weeks. 

Really...  What about the Lions tour.  What about the Olympics?  Whay about the Euros.  What about the F1, swanning over the globe... never mind Hamilton etc, what about the lowely mechanic, or the guys working back at the factories.

Truth is the Aussies don't give a !

• Like 3

Rubbish , that’s proper gutting news . What happened to the players being asked ? And what about Tonga and Samoa and Fiji ? How do they know what things will be like by the autumn , and they’re comparing their situation with ours when in terms of vaccinations it’s not comparable . Sorry I think it’s a bit of smokescreen and overall they just didn’t want to come , and I don’t think this will be forgotten 

• Like 5

Maybe this is all a ruse to generate some publicity, and the Aussies will come over after all. This morning alone the tournament has properly received PR that would be worth millions.

I live in hope that it is!!

Edited by Mark S
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And the Olympic athletes to Japan, and the Football team will presumably be playing internationals?

And obviously the rest of the world are playing international sports in other countries too.

How many "wrongs" do you have to see before you start thinking maybe you're actually not "right"?

Olympics and Euros are completely different tournaments that have their own challenges and deemed to have overcome them.

Those events proceeding and the measures undertaken to have them proceed will be unique to those tournaments and completely different to the measures required (and the financial ability) for the RLWC.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

Let's hope Nathan Cleary or another key player doesn't need off season surgery in 2022 or we might need to push it another year.

We should send a container ship full of cotton wool over to the Aussies.  Christ... there were the people who defended Tobruk.

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Olympics and Euros are completely different tournaments that have their own challenges and deemed to have overcome them.

Those events proceeding and the measures undertaken to have them proceed will be unique to those tournaments and completely different to the measures required (and the financial ability) for the RLWC.

Yep the various bodies running the leagues don’t favour club friendlies over international sport

• Like 2

If the government are really going to push this Workington Man/Northern Powerhouse now would be a good time to be on the phone to their Australian counterparts to exert a bit of pressure. I know the NRL have that big fish in a small pond thing being by far the biggest thing in RL but if the Australian government pressured them I'd expect them to fold. 

The UK government wants to sell a global Britain re-opening this Autumn and the WC was part of that. Whatever you think of the politics of it, they are obviously keen for the tournament to go ahead. 

• Like 5

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

25 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

There seems to be a slight change of emphasis on their reasons for crying off. From 'it will disrupt our preseason' to 'the risk of catching covid in the UK is too high'. 

Surely they have time to get all participants vaccinated before then (3 months?) Even if they have to pay for them. 

Assuming they are not just looking for excuses 

the astra zenica jabs the UK bought apparently cost about £3 each.. double dose £6 they recon 500 people £3k... v'landys could pay for it from his next pay packet ffs... if they WANTED to they could do it without an issue... (they could vaccinate the whole bloody NRL for about £10k! including support and office staff)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

the astra zenica jabs the UK bought apparently cost about £3 each.. double dose £6 they recon 500 people £3k... v'landys could pay for it from his next pay packet ffs... if they WANTED to they could do it without an issue... (they could vaccinate the whole bloody NRL for about £10k! including support and office staff)

I guess supply is an issue, why wouldn’t they have done this already?