Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

I'm actually devastated. Picked up 8 tickets to the Ireland vs Jamaica game, accommodation booked and was looking forward to introducing the game to 7 newbies from London and Belfast. After the challenge cup final a few others also wanted to get involved.

I just don't get how the other lot can have the autumn internationals, the cricketers on months long tours and we can't even persuade some Aussie's to come over here for 6 weeks.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That’s a shame, wouldn’t you even go to see France v England in the European Final if it was at Bramall Lane, or even Sandygate Road? 

nope.. not even if they paid me right now... stuff them, international RL is a waste if this is the attitude. 

I've a feeling this coventry is the returning muppet who got banned a few days ago so probably best just to ignore him, he`s just trying to spoil the thread same as he did previously.

• Like 7

I would urge everyone to make their views known to the NRL and Australian media. I think for the good of the game we have to make our views known. A lot of these outlets push the NRL party line but it is quite revealing looking at the comments that many Australians so seem as **** off as us in the UK.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SouthLondonRL said:

I'm actually devastated. Picked up 8 tickets to the Ireland vs Jamaica game, accommodation booked and was looking forward to introducing the game to 7 newbies from London and Belfast. After the challenge cup final a few others also wanted to get involved.

I just don't get how the other lot can have the autumn internationals, the cricketers on months long tours and we can't even persuade some Aussie's to come over here for 6 weeks.

Because the other lot an Cricketers give a damn about the game outside of their own insular little pathetic bubble, whereas the NRL care about the NRL and thats it.

• Like 3

i dont agree with NZ & Australia administrators withdrawing from the world Cup, but I understand it is very tough on players from NZ & Aus to attend the Cup. NZ based players from NZ warriors for example haven't been back to NZ all season to see extended family and friends and another 6 week tournament plus 2 weeks in quarantine is a lot to ask, i can understand that is just to much to ask for some. Anyway I had part of my last post removed due to covid content when the whole reason for Australian and New Zealand is not attending the Wold cup is due to Covid. As a result of this censorship, I wont be posting in this site again, all the best to you all, bye.

• Like 1

I’d really like to hear from players on this , as there’s been a paternalistic decision based on behalf of all of them . I still think a lot would choose to play in the World Cup , maybe the only chance they’d get . If they were given the choice . I’d like to hear from Big Mal as well . I wonder how much consultation was had , or it was just we know what’s best . I hope some people put their head above the parapet and give a contrary view

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Interesting reading the reaction on some of the Aussie press twitter feeds, it's not positive towards the PVL and the ARL, could there be a bit of a backlash of some sorts?

lets hope so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Why is it completely different . The organisers will have been bending over backwards to make it as secure and safe as possible and reassure them as much as they can . Nothing is risk free , there are cases inside many bubbles in sport , but like other events what could be done would be done … but the NRL side just aren’t willing to see beyond self interest 

Why is it completely different?

Excuse me, I must have missed the part where the RLWC was going replicate the Olympics by hosting all fixtures with no crowds and house the players and officials inside a bio secure athletes village.

The organisers may have done an admiral job in making the RLWC as safe as possible for the players. Unfortunately, the organisers do not have access to the same resources as the Euros or Olympics do to ensure the safety of participants, officials and fans.

Have the Olympic athletes and Participants in Euro been under the same arduous restrictions as NRL players have the last 16 months?

Reading comments on Twitter under the announcement, it seems pretty split. Some saying that players shouldn’t be expected to bubble again after being away from home for so long and others saying it’s wrong. 

It seems a premature decision given it appears players were not consulted. 

• Like 2

bring on rebel teams.. this could get quite interesting.. 

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

nope.. not even if they paid me right now... stuff them, international RL is a waste if this is the attitude. 

going back to my answer to this... 

IF the players really start to shout and a lot of noise is made to make the ARL etc see sense then my view would change as there is hope.. Right now though there is no hope with the attitude of the governing body.. 

I dont think this is over

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

I've a feeling this coventry is the returning muppet who got banned a few days ago so probably best just to ignore him, he`s just trying to spoil the thread same as he did previously.

This troll has now been banned and all their posts (and replies to those posts) have been removed from this thread.

Also, remember that if you want to discuss vaccination efficacy or policy decisions relating to vaccine rollout, do that in the politcs sub forum, not in here, or your posts will be removed.

This is a difficult topic, and emotions are running high on all sides, please help me as the moderator to keep it open and available for people to express their views, without dragging it off on a million different tangents, or allowing it to descend into a general slanging match.

Thank you.

• Like 10

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Reading comments on Twitter under the announcement, it seems pretty split. Some saying that players shouldn’t be expected to bubble again after being away from home for so long and others saying it’s wrong. 

i would agree they shouldnt be "expected to" and they may not need to either if everything goes to plan (and this spike was part of the "plan") but they may feel they ought to to be sure.. however, no player should be forced to and should not be punished for saying no if they felt they could not.. however, to unilaterally pull out is wrong.

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The players should have had the chance to make the decision themselves.

• Like 7

I really hope the players stand up to be counted now. If they want an international game at all worth playing then I feel they are now going to have to make a stand and fight for it. They are the ones with the power to do that. This is much bigger than just the World Cup this year, its mid season internationals, tournaments and the entire international game going forward that is at risk.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, SouthLondonRL said:

Keep the faith, we MAY still be on. I’m at the same game so share your sentiments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Thread - Grant claims (as I expected) players have not been consulted

Surely the Sensible approach would be for the ARL and NZRL to state they don't advise the players to travel but each player can decide for themselves if picked to play.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Thread - Grant claims (as I expected) players have not been consulted

“I have been in regular communication with the RLPA and a number of international players and coaches who have been satisfied with the world cup’s biosecurity arrangements and expressed a clear determination to travel to England and proudly represent their nations.

"They have expressed to me that they feel their own personal choice to participate or not in the world cup has been taken from them. The RLPA have again committed to continue to work with IRL and the Local Organising Committee towards a 2021 tournament including Australian and New Zealand players who have dual eligibility and who are now keen to play for other nations."

• Like 12

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Surely the Sensible approach would be for the ARL and NZRL to state they don't advise the players to travel but each player can decide for themselves if picked to play.

I think they know what will happen with that approach. No player has spoken out against going, even the RLPA didn't. The clubs simply don't want this and the players are being told what to do, all in the way of player welfare.

• Like 3