Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why is it completely different?

Excuse me, I must have missed the part where the RLWC was going replicate the Olympics by hosting all fixtures with no crowds and house the players and officials inside a bio secure athletes village.

The organisers may have done an admiral job in making the RLWC as safe as possible for the players. Unfortunately, the organisers do not have access to the same resources as the Euros or Olympics do to ensure the safety of participants, officials and fans.

Have the Olympic athletes and Participants in Euro been under the same arduous restrictions as NRL players have the last 16 months?

It’s literally impossible to ensure the safety of participants officials and fans . Look at the olympics regardless of everything they’ve done . All you can do is minimise risk as much as possible , which they’d do .  The NRL have decided to take no risks and not come , which is a very insular decision and a shattering blow with knock on effects  . As to the restrictions they’ve been playing under , that’s a different argument to why they’re saying they’re not coming . Other teams are travelling around , including coming here

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

“I have been in regular communication with the RLPA and a number of international players and coaches who have been satisfied with the world cup’s biosecurity arrangements and expressed a clear determination to travel to England and proudly represent their nations.

"They have expressed to me that they feel their own personal choice to participate or not in the world cup has been taken from them. The RLPA have again committed to continue to work with IRL and the Local Organising Committee towards a 2021 tournament including Australian and New Zealand players who have dual eligibility and who are now keen to play for other nations."

Wow. A bit of hope

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

“I have been in regular communication with the RLPA and a number of international players and coaches who have been satisfied with the world cup’s biosecurity arrangements and expressed a clear determination to travel to England and proudly represent their nations.

"They have expressed to me that they feel their own personal choice to participate or not in the world cup has been taken from them. The RLPA have again committed to continue to work with IRL and the Local Organising Committee towards a 2021 tournament including Australian and New Zealand players who have dual eligibility and who are now keen to play for other nations."

It's a possible bargaining chip, say OK your players won't represent Australia New Zealand but will represent Italy etc. 

You're still going to miss out on your precious pre-season trial games and you don't have the jurisdiction to stop us. 

• Like 3

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

i'm liking the noises coming out of the IRL and the world cup.. sounds very much as if they are up for the fight.. 

The Russians compete in athletics as neutral athletes.. The World Cup can put together rep teams, get a coach (Tim Sheens and AN Other??) and get the games on.. Oxen can make the kit (they rip off kits for fun anyway :kolobok_ph34r:).. its very doable if the players want it.

• Like 7

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

It's a possible bargaining chip, say OK your players won't represent Australia New Zealand but will represent Italy etc. 

You're still going to miss out on your precious pre-season trial games and you don't have the jurisdiction to stop us. 

Imagine the enormous pressure that would be put on the players in that situation by the NRL clubs - I don't think any players with ambitions of playing for Oz/NZ would do this.

Mentioned by News Corp journalists during the week a potential tournament between Australia, Nz and Pacific Islands teams at the end of the year. I wonder if this is on the cards?

I feel for John Dutton and his team they have done such a great job and deserve better.

Okay, this stuff coming out about players not being consulted might offer a bit of hope. The clubs can't stop players from coming if they want to I wouldn't have thought. That may open the door for Invitational teams. The bit about players being interested in representing other nations is intriguing. That really would be a middle finger to Oz and NZ if their own players turned round and said they weren't interested in playing for them anymore. 

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Surely the Sensible approach would be for the ARL and NZRL to state they don't advise the players to travel but each player can decide for themselves if picked to play.

That would be sensible, but it is about who pays for the isolation, where the time comes from for it and takes the flack from the NRL.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

This is quite clearly not a player welfare issue, its absolute **** for the NRL to suggest that. Everyone has a choice to participate. That is quite different than the genuine player welfare issues that the NRL have imposed on their players for the last 2 years, necessary I'm sure, and which the players had no choice.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

i'm liking the noises coming out of the IRL and the world cup.. sounds very much as if they are up for the fight.. 

The Russians compete in athletics as neutral athletes.. The World Cup can put together rep teams, get a coach (Tim Sheens and AN Other??) and get the games on.. Oxen can make the kit (they rip off kits for fun anyway :kolobok_ph34r:).. its very doable if the players want it.

Yeah and Super League clubs could always offer their medical teams and other backroom staff if needed. 

• Like 1

Just now, FearTheVee said:

Imagine the enormous pressure that would be put on the players in that situation by the NRL clubs - I don't think any players with ambitions of playing for Oz/NZ would do this.

Players were starting to come out in the media and say they wanted to play in the World Cup, Tedesco (possible next Australian captain) and Cook were two. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

This is quite clearly not a player welfare issue, its absolute **** for the NRL to suggest that. Everyone has a choice to participate. That is quite different than the genuine player welfare issues that the NRL have imposed on their players for the last 2 years, necessary I'm sure, and which the players had no choice.

Yeah, we know this mate. It's blatant ARLC/NRL self-interest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Mentioned by News Corp journalists during the week a potential tournament between Australia, Nz and Pacific Islands teams at the end of the year. I wonder if this is on the cards?

I feel for John Dutton and his team they have done such a great job and deserve better.

Any international matches not organised and sanctioned by the IRL should be boycotted by players. The NRL should no longer be allowed to organise and profit from internationals.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Okay, this stuff coming out about players not being consulted might offer a bit of hope. The clubs can't stop players from coming if they want to I wouldn't have thought. That may open the door for Invitational teams. The bit about players being interested in representing other nations is intriguing. That really would be a middle finger to Oz and NZ if their own players turned round and said they weren't interested in playing for them anymore. 

And V'landys needs a good middle finger. Overrated muppet.

Edited by rlno1
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It won't happen, pressure will be applied. Go to the World Cup and play for an invitational team or another country and kiss goodbye to SOO ambitions etc. Possibly even "compensation" payments for missing out on going....

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

It won't happen, pressure will be applied. Go to the World Cup and play for an invitational team or another country and kiss goodbye to SOO ambitions etc. Possibly even "compensation" payments for missing out on going....

Not if they do it en masse. They won't devalue Origin by not picking the best players. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

So they just bankrupted the northern game. Wow.

Mental.

Will be cheaper for the NRL to swoop in a buy it now. 

Cynical view.

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

Pressure will be applied but this is where the players and fans need to push back harder. We can't just keep letting Australia get away with this kind of thing. Kiss goodbye to SOO, fair enough but none of the best players will be playing in it then will they? That will certainly diminish that product a bit and if fans decided they weren't interested in going of watching a second rate product then the NRL would have to concede something. The NRL is only at the level it is because of the players and fans, without them there is nothing they can do. The players need to make a stand. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Damien said:

I really hope the players stand up to be counted now. If they want an international game at all worth playing then I feel they are now going to have to make a stand and fight for it. They are the ones with the power to do that. This is much bigger than just the World Cup this year, its mid season internationals, tournaments and the entire international game going forward that is at risk.

Completely agree - very much like the European Super League in football, until an actual player comes out and says it, some will just perceive it as fans and journalists going overboard in their reactions. Players need to step up - especially ones in the NRL. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s literally impossible to ensure the safety of participants officials and fans . Look at the olympics regardless of everything they’ve done . All you can do is minimise risk as much as possible , which they’d do .  The NRL have decided to take no risks and not come , which is a very insular decision and a shattering blow with knock on effects  . As to the restrictions they’ve been playing under , that’s a different argument to why they’re saying they’re not coming . Other teams are travelling around , including coming here

If you read the statement, player welfare was the main point of the entire release.

10 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Not if they do it en masse. They won't devalue Origin by not picking the best players. 

Look, if the NRL don't want their players to come they will find the ways and means to do it. That could range from the draconian, to gentle coersion, to paying them not to. Bottom line is they will get their own way somehow. If you think otherwise you are being naive.

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I don't think there is much point postponing by a year tbh, considering we don't know how normal next year will be.  Either you cancel or you make it a NH comp

Question is would you fill Emerates Semi final line up with Eng V wales, and Fra V Ireland (seeing most SH teams won't be able to really compete as most of their players are in NRL).   Also would Eng v Fra final attract 50K people for RL?

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

If you read the statement, player welfare was the main point of the entire release.

Ask them for their own opinion , let them make their own risk assessment and bring a team that wants to come 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1