Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, zylya said:

I know this isn't germane to the topic at hand, but just wanted to jump in and offer some support on this. You're right that this is a hugely disappointing decision, but most of the kids you're coaching are probably happy throwing a ball around with their mates and having a great time, regardless of the wider game issues. You (and all grassroots coaches) are doing a great job and it's an important job even if the national bodies are ###### around. Not just because you're teaching them rugby but because sport for kids is so much more than that.

I agree.. problem is I'm coaching Union... i have been talking to eagles about a coaching session that helps with the cross over skills, lines of running, defence lines etc (how i sold it to the RU club).. with the other idea of introducing some kids to league with a carrot of a world cup to watch and the potential of a relationship down the line that could form between the two clubs... just handing the game to union though if there is no international element IMHO 

Although the NRL is powerful if the organisation doesn't want to participate so be it. Replace them with teams that do. Would we like Aus and NZ in: Yes. Do we need them :No. Be interesting to see how Aussie Cricket side get on with Bangladesh next month. Unfortunately plenty of cases still in Bangladesh 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

And the story underneath is about rugby league aiming for the 2032 Olympics as a priority. The game won't be around in 2032 with decisions like this.

Aussies talk the talk about making Rugby League more international but can't walk the walk

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We have to threaten legal action for compensation here. We also have to admit that the WC in 2022 is played in the British Summertime (June/July) if it is cancelled now.

Cancelled?  Why would we cancel and ###### up every other signed-up country's arrangements, hopes and aspirations just because a bunch of molly-coddled Aussies are too scared to travel.

Ignore them.  They would probably have won anyway (which can be something of a bore at best), which opens the door at last to Tonga, England, France, New Zealand (if they don't 'toe the Aussie dictat'), and every other mother's son on the planet who plays this game and is happy to get down off 'mummy's lap'.

• Like 4

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

Maybe I am being overly optimistic, and hoping beyond hope, but I am really hoping that enough players, fans and people with influence within RL make their voices know and as a game we can get this decision overturned.

• Like 5

A very interesting IRL statement here:

“Every sporting organisation, every industry, government and family globally have been impacted by this pandemic. RLWC2021 and IRL only recently stated that we fully appreciated the challenges facing us to run a successful Rugby League World Cup with player and officials’ safety our priority and we have met every request regarding this issue made of us by ARLC, New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) and the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA). All designed to mitigate potential risks and satisfy the demands of ARLC and NZRL.

“I have been in regular communication with the RLPA and a number of international players and coaches who have been satisfied with the world cup’s biosecurity arrangements and expressed a clear determination to travel to England and proudly represent their nations. They have expressed to me that they feel their own personal choice to participate or not in the world cup has been taken from them. The RLPA have again committed to continue to work with IRL and the Local Organising Committee towards a 2021 tournament including Australian and New Zealand players who have dual eligibility and who are now keen to play for other nations.

Statement from International Rugby League Chair Troy Grant regarding RLWC2021 (intrl.sport)

Edited by Damien
  • Like 9

I remember very well the L.A Olympics in 1984. There was a tonne of negativity before the games about who wouldn`t be there. The organizers ignored it and put on a great show. Once the events started people only cared about who was there.

Personally, I`ve been looking forward more to the women`s WC more than the men`s anyway. Assuming that goes ahead as planned, I would urge everyone to get behind it. Imagine what it could do for RL in the UK if the grounds were packed for the women`s games.

I`m more worried that our own government could have us back in lockdown by October with nobody allowed into grounds.

• Like 5

I really think we go all out and deliver a huge festival of RL without these a-holes. 

I couldn't care about asterisks, or standards, I'll buy more tickets if it goes ahead with smaller teams stepping in. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Simon Johnson's wording is very, very strong 

I was unsure whether public battles was the way to go, but his rally cry has won me over! 

I think at this time it is needed and is certainly the right course of action to take.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Think it could be very European Super League if enough people of note come out against it. I’m hoping something comes from the England camp today to get the ball rolling and more stuff tomorrow from Australia. 

The NRL based English lads should be making a lot of noise about this.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

I'm picking it will be called off now but it shouldn’t. Sport is going on all around the world. When the NZRL came out saying they wanted assurances of player safety when obviously the organisers had already given them that, I had my suspicions that this was a precursor to a jointly organised decision to pull out. The will to make the effort wasn’t there from either NZ or Australia. 
There can still be an entertaining tournament for people to enjoy. If it can be held without negative financial implications then bring it on.

When the NRL clubs say the NZRL jump, the NZRL say how high

• Like 1

Just seen this now ..... think I am in shock. Just starting to read through some of the posts here, and the depth of feeling that has gone into them shows what this comp means to so many of us.

• Like 7

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

The narrative is changing on twitter, you've now got everyone and his dog from independence crazy Scottish nationalists to covid fans who clearly want to get pinged for a week off, none of whom know anything about the power politics of NRL Clubland using this for their own ends.....oh dear.....

• Like 2