Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Must admit I always had Australian sportspeople down as down to earth fighters.

If they’re not careful the NRL are going to become a shadowy reflection of the traits they’ve probably always hated about parts of the old country.

Elitist, pompous, greedy etc

Hopefully the players and our allies over there will try to avoid that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

If Australia really want the World Cup to go ahead next year, they could prove their "integrity" by placing a $10 million bond with the organisers today. 

In all honesty Australian Rugby League is not interested in international competition and for them the SOO is the be all and end all

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

If you read the statement, player welfare was the main point of the entire release.

If player welfare is the issue, and concerns about players missing their families, how can they propose a southern hemisphere tournament this winter instead of the World Cup? That is utter hypocrisy.

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I really think we go all out and deliver a huge festival of RL without these a-holes. 

I couldn't care about asterisks, or standards, I'll buy more tickets if it goes ahead with smaller teams stepping in. 

That's the spirit I agree with you 100%

• Like 2

The more I think about the more wonderful it would be for the competition to go ahead without them, for us to really get behind it like never before and make a success of it (prefereably, for me, with invitational Oz/NZ teams) and show how daft it was to pull out.

It could still be a wonderful festival of RL and I would be really sad if it got cancelled.  Hopefully the organisers can tap the Government up for some more support.

• Like 8

Visited the Sydney Morning Herald website to get a feel for what the Aussie press think. No mention on the homepage. Fourth story on the sports page — lower than a player being investigated for a breach of a bubble. Speaks volumes. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Rocket said:

Well done mate, plenty of contact points there. I`m going to give them give both barrels.

I already have. I may use the wife's e mail address to give them a second blast as well. I hope all contributors to this thread do the same.

• Like 3

Just now, giasf said:

Visited the Sydney Morning Herald website to get a feel for what the Aussie press think. No mention on the homepage. Fourth story on the sports page — lower than a player being investigated for a breach of a bubble. Speaks volumes. 

Given how big League is in Aus that's appalling. It's like the Euros being cancelled and The Times having it on page 12.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I really think we go all out and deliver a huge festival of RL without these a-holes. 

I couldn't care about asterisks, or standards, I'll buy more tickets if it goes ahead with smaller teams stepping in. 

I'll wait for the Groupon deals and then join you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Spotty Herbert said:

I already have. I may use the wife's e mail address to give them a second blast as well. I hope all contributors to this thread do the same.

Love it, think I`ll make it a family affair myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Copa said:

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Just came inside and my son told me, shattered, embarrassed, angry, I`m sure they could of arranged something if they really wanted to. My sincerest apologies from one Australian who really wanted it to happen. The rest of the comp this year is going to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

The AFL loving media are going to love this and really put the boot into the game down under now. Australian Rugby League has now become the laughing stock of Australian sport and the AFL loving media will keep pushing that narrative.

Trust me long term this will hit Australian Rugby League hard

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mark S said:

Postpone it until Spring/Summer next year. No point going up against the Union World Cup. 

im sure that the club game can take a break for 6 weeks.

The real reason is the NRL not wanting to impact their own pre season let alone take a 6 week mid season break

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Think this the perfect time national and internationally to get everyone to unify. We are on about an independent panel nationally the same should be done international wise. How can the sport be taken seriously if one country plays to different rules than the others? 

Not wrong. 

50 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Its not as simple as that. The withdrawal of the Aussies and Kiwis will have put a huge hole in the finances of the competition. The broadcast rights value will suddenly have plummeted and those broadcasters who had previously signed contracts will be having their lawyers exercising force majeure clauses asap. I'd imagine that broadcasters in Australia and NZ will have no interest in showing a competition they do not feature in.

Their non-appearance could increase the ratings

• Like 3

I don't honestly know where to start.

Given that these countries have sent teams and individuals to the Olympics, where cases are popping up and they are interacting with literally every nation on earth (except North Korea) the safety thing doesn't cut it IMO. 

Are they going to cancel The Ashes so our COVID riddled cricketers don't take the Omega variant with them?

We know what this is about. The NRL never wanted the World Cup, have no interest inInternational RL and run the show.

I'm so tempted to tell them to stuff it and regroup as a European/N American international setup. Probably not the best idea done in anger but they've pretty much screwed RL in this country now. The government (however much I hate them) has invested in this, and supported it. They will not like being made fools of. This will hurt our sport badly.

• Like 15

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

In the spirit of 1895, I agree. ###### 'em.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

The AFL loving media are going to love this and really put the boot into the game down under now. Australian Rugby League has now become the laughing stock of Australian sport and the AFL loving media will keep pushing that narrative.

Trust me long term this will hit Australian Rugby League hard

Yes the main advantage RL has over Aussie rules is the international element, what fools the ARLC and especially the Clubs are.......

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The domestic game being in trouble has absolutely nothing to do with the presence or lack thereof an international scene.

Then she is ignorant to current global conditions and mindsets.

You couldn’t be more wrong or insular if you tried

• Like 3
  • Confused 1