Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I think Radio 4 are going to go into more detail later in the programme, so stay tuned.

Jason Robinson and Phil Veivers were interviewed, at around the 1:40pm mark.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Presumably then as its not safe to travel to the UK no current Australian or Kiwi NRL players will be signing for SL clubs for next year ?? I mean if its not safe to come over for 4 weeks then its certainly not safe to come over hear and live is it !!!

Time for the RFL to show some balls and say if the national teams dont come to the WC then they wont be accepting any registrations from Australian or NZ players  who want to play in the UK.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

This would remove any credibility that the competition, or the sport, might have and should not be contemplated under any circumstances. 

They're next in line so credibility would be intact

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gavin7094 said:

This would remove any credibility that the competition, or the sport, might have and should not be contemplated under any circumstances. 

So do we just continue to pander to Australia for ever more! You have a big list of very acceptable reasons earlier why they shouldn’t come… and that would be fine but it’s all just an excuse.

I suspect that as ever they will get their way but it stinks, is dishonest, does not take into account players views and is selfish in the extreme.

• Like 4

Just now, The Rocket said:

And you know what,  it`s f..ing typical Dunbar, they turned on everything that you would love in a game of League tonight. Damn bloody shame it has to be this way. Have a look at the highlights anyway mate, I wouldn`t hold it against you.

Just think how many of the players in that great match would have been looking forward to representing their countries this year.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Just don`t get that at all, sounds like there was absolutely no consultation, just drop a bombshell at 7.00 in the morning, this is either the ultimate in pure arrogance or some sort of power struggle going on behind the scenes. But there`s something seriously amiss here.

I think this is an emotional decision.

I suspect it's made by Vlandys and it's a response to the organisers decision to announce that it was going ahead.

I believe he will have interpreted the announcement as a challenge to his authority and Australia's status in the world game.

He will have seen it as an ultimatum....'' we're going ahead anyway, so make your mind up''.

My guess is he will have been crimson with rage.

This is a typical aggressive reaction from a bloated, yet fragile ego, embarrassed by the very public challenge to his self image.

His willingness to wreak havoc in the world game, to powder his blushes is a real indication of the true nature of the beast. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not quite true, the NRL clubs are their employers so they must have a say. I would be interested to know how many of them wanted to come though. 

They have to be released for internationals. We also don't know what player contracts stipulate. 

• Like 1

The Australian RL think they are sitting pretty in their sporting backwater under no threat from any other sport and dont need to promote the sport internationally, but the most popular sport in the world does because that's how it became the world most populous sport by promoting itself and it will be moving into NRL territory and it will win. Dont be so smug and insular NRL 

• Like 3

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Just now, gavin7094 said:

By applying that reasoning if all 16 teams dropped out and it went ahead and the USA won then that would be a credible outcome?

So teams 17-32 would be competing - fine by me

Look up Denmark football's history in the Euros....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Presumably then as its not safe to travel to the UK no current Australian or Kiwi NRL players will be signing for SL clubs for next year ?? I mean if its not safe to come over for 4 weeks then its certainly not safe to come over hear and live is it !!!

Time for the RFL to show some balls and say if the national teams dont come to the WC then they wont be accepting any registrations from Australian or NZ players  who want to play in the UK.

Very different circumstances and cannot be compared. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

I hope the other 7093 Gavins were better than you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 17

It's clear the modern Australian has not pride in playing for their country.

Lets never forget that the highest honour in team sport is to play for your country, unless your Australian when you would sooner play for a city suberb

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Would it be too far to say it looks like a move out of the V'landys playbook?

That`s a bloody good question mate because I`ve been his biggest fan.

If I had to take a wild guess, V`landy`s has burnt up a lot of his `political `capital, if you get the politics reference, he earnt from the early restart due to the problems with the rule changes, the clubs have been pushing back, he buckled and allowed ex-club administrators on to the Commission earlier last year in an attempt I gather to appease them, they could have him chucked if they wanted to, I can only imagine this is just them tightening the screws a bit more. 

That`s my most favourable reading of it from his point of view. But mate, it`d only guess work really and really at the end of the day, 7.00 in the morning, it`s probably off the mark.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Who wouldn't want to come here? 

What’s the solution then to avoid all countries facing the same situation? Because all the vulnerable are now vaccinated and most of the non-vulnerable (bar a few who don’t want it).

You can’t avoid an increase in cases when you open up, so how long should a country wait?

We’re taking about a bunch of fit, healthy young people who are extremely low risk coming across to play in a World Cup. Other sports are doing it.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Covid effectively out of control.

Not true

Hospital admissions threatening NHS again.

Not true

Deaths rising.

Give context - at nowhere near the same rate as when there were similar amounts of cases previously

Increasing numbers of Super League games postponed or cancelled due to increasing cases. 

Fair comment - but again, we're 3 months out from the WC

6 hour queues at Heathrow

So? Flight to Manchester or Gatwick then

Euro 2020 spoiled by crowds storming the venue.

Completely irrelevant. Do you actually believe that could happen in RL?

Then 2 weeks staring at 4 walls in a hotel room when you get home

Players can choose if this isn't acceptable to them to not come or the Aus/NZ governments could stop being jokers when it comes to vaccine rollout and testing? 

Who wouldn't want to come here? 

I'm guessing you mean 'Who would want to come here'? to which the answer is very many of the players by the sounds of it.....in fact only the NRL (i'm ignoring the ARLC and NZRL front) don't want this to happen on the whole.

Postpone it or play it in Australia

Hahahaha absolutely not the latter! Bed wetters in Aus won't leave their bedrooms for years if people from 'plague island' come over. And, again because the vaccine rollout over there is so shocking, it actually would be dangerous for very many people. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 7