Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

47 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Assuming the ARL and NZRL don't U-turn, I like the idea and the RL community would back them to the hilt for defying the likes of Peter V'Landys.

I love the fact that the indigenous communities are now properly recognised but they are not countries.

In other sports they have a universal ruling body ,but Australians make up their own rules up with no consultation and usually we follow suit . 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

30 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Infections down below 40k again today. That the third day in a row of falling? Still way to high but interesting if it keeps dropping…

Hmm... I don't watch the BBC News, I only wish I had the bottle to not pay the fee, but I noticed it was on and you would never had guessed rates was dripping.  They Just want to pour in all the misery they can.

All I can say is it's a good job they were never around for Dunkirk.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Copa said:

10 hours ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

And the story underneath is about rugby league aiming for the 2032 Olympics as a priority. The game won't be around in 2032 with decisions like this.

10 hours ago, davet said:

"The majority of NRL players are currently living away from home under difficult biosecurity protocols. They would then be required to remain under protocols and away from home for the duration of the tournament before again quarantining on return to Australia. This is too much to ask our players and officials to do.

Have they actually asked the players what THEY want to do??

10 hours ago, jacobus said:

Joke.

Must be.

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Disappointing but not surprising. Given everyone is in bubbles in Australia it’s a lot of ask of players from a mental health point of view to continue that and then quarantine. Yes some will happily do it but I’m actually of the view it might be better now to wait a year when we could hopefully get a good run at it, to allow more international supporters to attend, hopefully sponsors will stay on board and we’ll pick up a few more and hopefully all other partners stick with us 🤞

That’s my glass half full view. 

On the flip side, there’s no guarantee things are going to be any better next year 

10 hours ago, frank said:

Australia will still have the same attitude if the cup is delayed until next year.

Lets be honest and agree the V'landys and his minions on the ARL should fall on their swords along with the whole board of the NZRL and the kiwis should be sued for compensation

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Doubt I'll add much to what has been said already but...

- Worst thing is the method of communication by the Aus/NZ GBs. 4 mins notice is disgusting and not consulting the players is unforgivable. Heads should roll.

- If we can go ahead without them, just do it, or replace with players already in Europe in 'select' teams. 

- This is obviously a NRL/clubs play so cant see any other nations players being released.

- Their priority is Origin. Since international RL picked up in quality, they have actively sought to undermine it to retain Origin's credibility and status. Anyone denying that is deluded. 

- Gus Gould is a myopic, arrogant doylem. Wants to play a 5 game origin series and is apparently a genius because he came up with the wonderful idea of having junior pathways. Pure genius.

- The BBC can do one. In 2017 I wrote a complaint to them as the RLWC final was even mentioned on the front page of their sports section, or maybe it was down near the bottom. Aus/NZ pull out and its the headline. Why do we bother? 

I third world message from 2 countries who not so many years ago were 3rd world countries themselves and still have that 3rd world mentality.

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Cant the Australians see our sport needs to show itself as a world sport in a well presented tournament. Otherwise???

Of course they can, but unfortunately they don't seem to care. 

Sponsors have signed up, and will undoubtedly want to renegotiate (or worse) if the tournament is delayed for a year.

If this is a headline-boosting fake-out by the NRL, before a pre-planned u-turn, well played to them.

But let's be honest, it isn't. This is exactly the kind of thing the NRL clubs do. If the Australian players stand up to this, I might even applaud them in the RWC (if nobody was watching).

• Like 5

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let the 75% of rep players happy to play in the World Cup play for Invitational sides. Job done and dusted, crack on with the World Cup as planned.

The ARLC and NZRL are coming under increasing pressure after it emerged that over 75% of players said they had no concerns about playing in the World Cup.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup-players-21119348 

• Like 1

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

didnt some of the kangaroos bottle it when one of the gulf wars was on? they really are a laughing stock 

Indeed.... Robbie O'Davis going on about terrorist targets in the UK like "Buckingham Palace or the Eiffel Tower".

That's the demographic we are dealing with, unfortunately.

It does look like (from reports) this time though, that the vast majority of players wanted to attend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

didnt some of the kangaroos bottle it when one of the gulf wars was on? they really are a laughing stock 

Yes, it was after 9/11 and they thought that touring the UK might be dangerous if somebody bombed the Eiffel Tower. We need Chairman Mo to go and badger them into committing again.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, The Frying Scotsman said:

Indeed.... Robbie O'Davis going on about terrorist targets in the UK like "Buckingham Palace or the Eiffel Tower".

I thought it was Shane Webcke, but I might be wrong.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, it was after 9/11 and they thought that touring the UK might be dangerous if somebody bombed the Eiffel Tower. We need Chairman Mo to go and badger them into committing again.

Well in their defence it would be if it was a nuclear bomb . 

3 hours ago, theswanmcr said:

Interesting… will the RLPA be timid and know where their pay check comes from (as NRLhope) or will they go guns blazing at the appalling lack of consultation? More fun to be had over the coming days!

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Just a quick line from me that calling out the players for this is both wrong and self defeating.

All the quotes I have seen from NRL players about the World Cup is that they are looking forward to it.  Similarly a survey quoted on here said that 75% of players were happy and ready to come. Some wouldn't but that is their choice.

But that choice has been taken away by the ARL and NZRL under pressure from the clubs.  The issue was the competition and the quarantine and how that would impact NRL 2022... the player welfare messaging is an attempt to deflect.  Give them the choice, don't take a potential once in a lifetime experience away from them without consultation. 

The players are as much a victim of this selfish decision as the fans.

3 hours ago, RP London said:

it doesnt matter what the different levels are like because the countries are very much at different stages... its obvious if you want to look at it along with vaccinations and hospitalisations.. but lets not derail and get John getting the delete option back out agian.. its a pointless argument as they are 2 extremely different situations and not only that but where we are today is irrelevant its where we are in 3 months when they actually land that is important.. and we are on track to be more than ok by all the modelling.

3 hours ago, tiffers said:

Is this our opportunity, given the amount of emotion on here alone, to 1) sell more tickets to the home audience that are mostly incensed and want to support NH RL and stick a finger up to the NRL? 2) push this to a wider audience in the UK?

Could we capitalise on all this PR and sell a few more tickets?

Esp. as the general public may get behind an England team with a very good chance of winning it...
I suppose it depends on whether we can prove its still a legitimate product. To sponsors, the media, fans.

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yeah i'm nervous that NRL spin doctors are in the ear of people at the RLPA and we'll end up with a lukewarm 'We're very disappointed.......but understand why the decision has been made' type statement. 

I'm praying it's more robust than that and almost leaves the ARLC with no choice but to reply. We can but hope. 

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The flimsy holes in the "player welfare" argument are there because this isn't about Player Welfare at all.

This is entirely about players quarantine time being part of their holiday time or NRL clubs' pre season - and that it would regardless be impacting on the latter.

The biggest honour in team sport is to play for your country not a city suburb or state.

Australian and Kiwi officials and players need to be reminded of this

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

In other sports they have a universal ruling body ,but Australians make up their own rules up with no consultation and usually we follow suit . 

If you read Open Rugby's history of Mike Mayer's USRL you'll see that the RFL following the Aussies' lead has been the norm for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Big Picture said:

If you read Open Rugby's history of Mike Mayer's USRL you'll see that the RFL following the Aussies' lead has been the norm for a long time.

Ok I will cheers 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

let them have origin - lost its lustre- some players who played against each other last week or the week before maybe or played in the same team and now play against each other this week from the same comp- insular and now boring - if the kangaroos are scared to lose just come out and say it 

• Like 4

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

let them have origin - lost its lustre- some players who played against each other last week or the week before maybe or played in the same team and now play against each other this week from the same comp- insular and now boring - if the kangaroos are scared to lose just come out and say it 

The Kangaroos HAVE LOST 2 of their last 4 international games. They are not the supermen they think they are

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

The Kangaroos HAVE LOST 2 of their last 4 international games. They are not the supermen they think they are

also looks like they have lost their bottle too, maybe like an ageing heavyweight defending his belt against bums and wont take on the new hope

• Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile