Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Must admit having read Pearson’s statement, while it’s insensitive timing I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He says it’s shocking that Aus and NZ have pulled out (true), and then goes on to say that this sh1tshow of an SL season could be extended to make it more credible, which in the absence of a WC isn’t a bad idea imho. I’d rather see England play a couple of games, even if they’re against France and Wales, but he’s Hull’s owner so of course he wants what’s best for them? 

He could have said nothing. The last thing we need right now is chairmen breaking ranks and saying there might be an up side. The message needs to be this is outrageous and the NRL must reconsider not, "well to be fair it might let us finish the season". 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

When I read tweets like this I really want the game to just say **** you and plough on with the RLWC and forget about the Aussies going forward:

Tail wagging the dog is exactly what the NRL have done for years so hopefully big changes are coming

• Like 6

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

He could have said nothing. The last thing we need right now is chairmen breaking ranks and saying there might be an up side. The message needs to be this is outrageous and the NRL must reconsider not, "well to be fair it might let us finish the season". 

There is an upside though, for his club. If you were propping up a SL club with your own money you might think so too? Though I agree it is insensitively timed and he should have let the dust lie before saying that. 

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Tail wagging the dog is exactly what the NRL have done for years so hopefully big changes are coming

Phil goulds tweet is everything that’s wrong here, he thinks, just as they do that the NRL is Rugby League.

its as insular as it is arrogant.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Yep.. I mean how dare the international governing body look to run the international game.. thats much more of a job for a single national league.. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Phil goulds tweet is everything that’s wrong here, he thinks, just as they do that the NRL is Rugby League.

its as insular as it is arrogant.

It's exactly the same as Richardson's guff last week. Something badged as one thing was actually just an NRL preservation piece. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Yes hopefully. The IRL need to just start setting the calendar and the Aussies either get on board with that or are excluded from international rugby. Simple as that.

• Like 2

Gus saying the players just want a rest and go home . Has he asked them all ?  Also a slight variation on the covid argument .He really thinks he’s the fountain of all rugby knowledge he’s so far up himself . 

11 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Indeed. The sheer and stupid arrogance of the man is almost breathtaking in its brilliance. 

They couldn’t even keep up the pretence for 24 hours that it is about COVID and not about resting players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

As a product the game of RL doesn't need to change anything. I believe the game sells itself. SL and the RFL just need to find a way of selling and promoting it better. 

Of course it needs to change. 

It's not really the razmataz of this 100 nonsense.  But for goodness sake LOOK... They gave invented new teams and a new look, a new competition, new rules probably and the ground is full.   And of course the TV are going all over it to talk it up.

Here, we have 3 teams in Wakefield 4 in Manchester 2 in Hull and they are fighting each other to death...

Ahab and the great white whale could not do it any better.  And you say we are OK!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bring in the United States.

The tv coverage might just convince a good deal more of them of the enormous untapped potential of our game.

This is Rugby League's Cuban Crisis, we need to turn to our allies, work with them and put on the best show we can.

The ''new'' nations will add some very welcome novelty and open up their whole populations to our great game.

Unless they come back to the table, for this world cup then it'll be a long time before we can trust/deal with those back-stabbers from down under.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I have just sent my first ever tweet in reply to this from Gould.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

the nrl is chock full of great players nowadays from tonga nz samoa uk fiji etc no wonder the kangaroos are scared to take them on 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Of course it needs to change. 

It's not really the razmataz of this 100 nonsense.  But for goodness sake LOOK... They gave invented new teams and a new look, a new competition, new rules probably and the ground is full.   And of course the TV are going all over it to talk it up.

Here, we have 3 teams in Wakefield 4 in Manchester 2 in Hull and they are fighting each other to death...

Ahab and the great white whale could not do it any better.  And you say we are OK!

6 teams in Greater Manchester I believe.