Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Of course it needs to change. 

It's not really the razmataz of this 100 nonsense.  But for goodness sake LOOK... They gave invented new teams and a new look, a new competition, new rules probably and the ground is full.   And of course the TV are going all over it to talk it up.

Here, we have 3 teams in Wakefield 4 in Manchester 2 in Hull and they are fighting each other to death...

Ahab and the great white whale could not do it any better.  And you say we are OK!

You have quoted me and then in your post put something I didn't even say. Can you underline where I said we are OK. What I did say is that RL is a good product just undersold. 

i dont think i have ever known the members of this forum to be so united at any time about any subject - well done guys - the gold shines through

• Like 6

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Must admit having read Pearson’s statement, while it’s insensitive timing I don’t think there’s much wrong with it. He says it’s shocking that Aus and NZ have pulled out (true), and then goes on to say that this sh1tshow of an SL season could be extended to make it more credible, which in the absence of a WC isn’t a bad idea imho. I’d rather see England play a couple of games, even if they’re against France and Wales, but he’s Hull’s owner so of course he wants what’s best for them? 

How does this fit in with Old Trafford Man U and Sky schedules. 

We should go back to a Winter season with a brief break maybe after Christmas.  But we must not go back to 30 games a season.

Unfortunately, several clubs share with football clubs. 

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

How does this fit in with Old Trafford Man U and Sky schedules. 

We should go back to a Winter season with a brief break maybe after Christmas.  But we must not go back to 30 games a season.

Unfortunately, several clubs share with football clubs. 

My word, that would be the death knell of the sport. 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i dont think i have ever known the members of this forum to be so united at any time about any subject - well done guys - the gold shines through

Don't worry, Rupert Prince is here trying to break up this agreement 🤣

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Im surprised they havent asked Gus to cure Covid , he knows everything else

i like gus - but i like him as an nrl pundit - hes knows his stuff and talks sense but keep out of this gus - your "inviting disappointment in to your life" if you dont stay in your nrl bubble

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/usa-rugby-league-world-cup-5684064?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid={~TrackingId~}

The United States of America have put their hand up to replace Australia or New Zealand in the Rugby League World Cup, insisting the competition should take place.

Mark Offerdahl, who captained USA in the 2017 World Cup, says the country is ready to prepare at short notice and participate in the competition.

Both Australia and New Zealand stated that they would be withdrawing from the competition on Tuesday morning, leaving organisers with a nightmare situation just three months before the start of the competition.

However, they could be saved by the USA, who reached the quarter-finals in 2013.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/usa-rugby-league-world-cup-5684064?utm_source=leeds_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=rugby_league_lve_newsletter&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid={~TrackingId~}

The United States of America have put their hand up to replace Australia or New Zealand in the Rugby League World Cup, insisting the competition should take place.

Mark Offerdahl, who captained USA in the 2017 World Cup, says the country is ready to prepare at short notice and participate in the competition.

Both Australia and New Zealand stated that they would be withdrawing from the competition on Tuesday morning, leaving organisers with a nightmare situation just three months before the start of the competition.

However, they could be saved by the USA, who reached the quarter-finals in 2013.

Good old USA, proper winners who are always up for it, the Aussies should take note. 

• Like 2

On a brighter note Underbank won tonight 😀.  As for the world cup, big opportunity to spin this media coverage to promote the world cup, get lots of new people to watch and make it a great success. I,m more likely to buy tickets now, it enerates 'good feeling' to show support.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Don't worry, Rupert Prince is here trying to break up this agreement 🤣

What are you talking about.

I regularly complain about how sycophantic people are about NRL and Origin and the Australian game generally.

I presaged the Aussies backing out of the WC.

The Aussies are self interested and insular. This event has huge repercussions if people stop to recognise it.

Just now, Henson Park Old Firm said:

can someone ring up South Africa and tell them they qualified for the world cup on default?

am on my way to the phone box now - whats the dialling code?

• Like 2

they might have been viewing  the bbc website this week  and seeing carol kirkwood  saying  its too hot over here for them to play -  aussies are not renowned for their intelligence - quite dim really.

31 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

Could we be looking at 1895 v 2.0? Maybe the northern hemisphere needs to go its own way.

Not something I would have advocated yesterday but here we are.

Unless we can find a way back from here, then yes, quite possible. Or it will be a bit like the darts, with rival governing bodies running their own world cups, including Australian and NZ teams under the 'northern' governing body. Everything's on the table now, the NRL will reap what it sows. 

• Sad 1

I noticed a couple of you talking about 1895 2.0. I absolutely get the sentiment. But what can we actually achieve from a Northern Hemisphere perspective?

We’ve thrown away North America (rightly or wrongly). Our own clubs in England are just as bad as those in the NRL at times. There’s no money in the development pot (due to no WC) to throw at France or someone else. 

Slightly stumped for (realistic) options… 

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Unless we can find a way back from here, then yes, quite possible. Or it will be a bit like the darts, with rival governing bodies running their own world cups, including Australian and NZ teams under the 'northern' governing body. Everything's on the table now, the NRL will reap what it sows. 

Could Imagine England (RFL owned) v England (NRL owned) & Australia (NRL owned) v Australia (RFL owned) a few years down the line, massive grudge matches in the making 😂

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

I noticed a couple of you talking about 1895 2.0. I absolutely get the sentiment. But what can we actually achieve from a Northern Hemisphere perspective?

We’ve thrown away North America (rightly or wrongly). Our own clubs in England are just as bad as those in the NRL at times. There’s no money in the development pot (due to no WC) to throw at France or someone else. 

Slightly stumped for (realistic) options… 

It's more a question of what we have to lose. 

We don't really get any direct benefit from the success of the NRL, other than it providing a destination for our very best players, and that will remain. We won't stop players going down under if they want to. 

But up til now, we've tried to remain in partnership with the NRL in order to keep the international program, which means a lot more to us than it does to them. 

If they're not going to bother turning up any more, we may as well try and set up our own version. 

There's sporting precedent: the ice hockey and basketball World championships are largely played without the best NHL and NBA players but still has US and Canadian teams. It is widely watched and means a lot to the rest of the world. 

Our only real problem here is that it's too short notice to really set this up to save this world cup, but by 2025 an independent sport including Australians and NZs would be quite possible. 

8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Could Imagine England (RFL owned) v England (NRL owned) & Australia (NRL owned) v Australia (RFL owned) a few years down the line, massive grudge matches in the making 😂

Now I reckon that could sell! Could you imagine the booing when the NRL aussies came here? 

• Haha 2

I quit Twitter a few months ago for a number of reasons. I might just rejoin tomorrow and explain to Gould how Aus and NZ bottling, defaulting, is unfortunate as it's high profile international sporting competition that grabs the headlines, the sponsors and the money. They're going to lose out on all that by welching. 

• Like 2