Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Time is the main factor here. The Aussies and Nz  have made their decision, now we need to  know  quickly how the  Tonga and  the rest of that group are going to react. If they go the same way as  the two mentioned then really I think it's all over.

• Like 1

At the end of tonight's game Carney  said the word he was getting from Australia was the decision will not be reversed.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

1 minute ago, frank said:

Time is the main factor here. The Aussies and Nz  have made their decision, now we need to  know  quickly how   Tonga and  the rest of that group are going to react. If they go the same way as  the two mentioned then really I think it's all over.

7 minutes ago, newbe said:

Head of NZ rl on newsnite live, going to explain why they pulled out.

They don’t want the embarrassment of seeing more of their players switch allegiance to the Pacific Islands as they think the NZRL are a bunch of fools?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Nothing most of us didn't already know but it makes it none the less shocking when you see it actually written down by somebody of his standing down there. Forget any other conspiracy you might have heard over the past 18 months - this one has just come true. 

So it is a power play. NRL self-interest.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

They don’t want the embarrassment of seeing more of their players switch allegiance to the Pacific Islands as they think the NZRL are a bunch of fools?

I would love for the PI nations stay in the RLWC and for Australia and NZ be decimated going forward. 

• Like 2

I hope all dual nationality players declare for other nations and keep the world cup on without the ozzies or kiwis.

Failing that as much as i despise union as a sport i would find it amusing if some of the top NRL talent jumped ship to Union for the chance to actually represent their country in a world cup.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just seen the Greg Peters interview on Newsnight.

His main line of defence was the organisers hadn’t offered enough of a guarantee around bio-security.

Need to hear from the organisers now I feel. 

They have already issued a statement saying they met every demand. As the NZRL have changed their tune in a week I know who I am inclined to believe.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I would love for the PI nations stay in the RLWC and for Australia and NZ be decimated going forward. 

Oh absolutely agree. You need Lebanon, Italy and Greece to stay in too also with a full compliment of players. Just can’t see it…

So many NZ and Australian test players qualify for other nations - how crazy would it be if players like Tedesco, Manu, Papali'i, Asofa Solomona, Hughes, Luia, Kafusii etc. made themselves available for other countries?

The difference with the 2021 RLWC is that all team players get equal participation money and expenses so it is not going to be a penny pinching trip for the likes of Fiji and Tonga.

Do it guys - do it!!

• Like 4

Just now, Damien said:

They have already issued a statement saying they met every demand. As the NZRL have changed their tune in a week I know who I am inclined to believe.

It’s a pity that we didn’t have a representative from the RL World Cup then to refute what Peters was saying.

That’s the usual format for Newsnight = two contributors with opposing views being reffed by the Newsnight presenter.

I’m not blaming the BBC or the RLWC organisers, but it was a pity.

• Like 5

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

It’s a pity that we didn’t have a representative from the RL World Cup then to refute what Peters was saying.

That’s the usual format for Newsnight = two contributors with opposing views being reffed by the Newsnight presenter.

I’m not blaming the BBC or the RLWC organisers, but it was a pity.

I would have loved to have seen Simon Johnson on it too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Doubt NRL Clubs or The ARLC could stop players representing other NGBs in sanctioned tests, legally, so this will only effect Kangaroos & Kiwis. 

Legally, it looks as though you're right.

The issue would be the pressure they could put on the other NGBs to pull out. I just hope they don't buckle.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I would actually like the organisers to give competing nations a little sweetener to stay in the world cup. Give every country £100k as an incentive. Let's fight fire with fire.

Divvy up the money that the defaulters would have got among the committed nations and you don't even spend a penny more than the budget.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson