Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Players that have already played a test for a tier 1 nation cannot then play for another tier 1 or a tier 2 side, but tier 2 national players can elect to play for a tier 1 nation later, should they qualify. 

So rules out any players that already have a cap for the Kiwis or Kangaroos switching allegiance. 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

So rules out any players that already have a cap for the Kiwis or Kangaroos switching allegiance. 

I’m sure it doesn’t, unless I’ve misinterpreted what you’re saying.

a kiwi can’t play for Australia and vice-versa but that doesn’t stop them switching to Italy, Scotland, Russia etc - as far as I’m aware.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, welshmagpie said:

a kiwi can’t play for Australia and vice-versa but that doesn’t stop them switching to Italy, Scotland, Russia etc - as far as I’m aware.

Yes sorry, can't swap between tier 1 nations and can't swap at all in the same calendar year. They've changed rules last year and complicated them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, welshmagpie said:

Yeah this is correct. The only constraint upon the current iteration of IRL eligibility rules is that you can only represent one nation in a calendar year, as there have been no tests between WC playing nations this year that won't be an issue. Origin has no impact on international eligibility either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Doubt NRL Clubs or The ARLC could stop players representing other NGBs in sanctioned tests, legally, so this will only effect Kangaroos & Kiwis. 

This reminded me of the clip from a few days ago. After about 30 seconds it spells out what the NRL are going to do. It's nonsense, it's absurd but it's quite obvious that everything that has happened today has been leaked to the media over weeks:

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

This reminded me of the clip from a few days ago. After about 30 seconds it spells out what the NRL are going to do. It's nonsense, it's absurd but it's quite obvious that everything that has happened today has been leaked to the media over weeks:

What a bunch of arrogant kn@bs I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I'm through with them until or if they ever atone. 

Doubt there's loopholes to be found but looks like they will apply pressure to players as well as Southern hemisphere NGBs ~ absolute filth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

What a bunch of arrogant kn@bs I said it earlier and I'll say it again, I'm through with them until or if they ever atone. 

Doubt there's loopholes to be found but looks like they will apply pressure to players as well as Southern hemisphere NGBs ~ absolute filth. 

By pressure I mean bully. 

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

That's why I said earlier, pay the countries a sweetener to take part. Do whatever it takes. The PI countries get nothing, Tonga got nothing from the Aussie test that had 1 million plus profit. Pay them all off.

Listening to Peters on Newsnight infuriated me. He referred to "the logistical nightmare of returning 500 players from the northern hemisphere to Australasia at the end of the tournament." However his only concern should be the 24 or so NZ players. The fact he talks about 500 refers to all NRL players and again shows the real agenda at play.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Listening to Peters on Newsnight infuriated me. He referred to "the logistical nightmare of returning 500 players from the northern hemisphere to Australasia at the end of the tournament." However his only concern should be the 24 or so NZ players. The fact he talks about 500 refers to all NRL players and again shows the real agenda at play.

Yep, complete rubbish … the 500 players don't all return at once, after 2 weeks 8 teams are eliminated, for example!!! 

The actual number of returning players from the northern hemisphere to Australasia at the END of the tournament is about 40, from the two teams that make the final !!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Would it really be so bad to move it to 2022?

Yes.

One argument coming from Peters is that NZ players won't get vaccinated. How does moving it to 2022 solve that? It doesn't. Will 2022 be much different? Due to Australia's and NZ's covid approaches it won't be for them. Covid will still be here next year. Every argument is just nonsensical.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes.

One argument coming from Peters is that NZ players won't get vaccinated. How does moving it to 2022 solve that? It doesn't. Will 2022 be much different? Due to Australia's and NZ's covid approaches it won't be for them. Covid will still be here next year. Every argument is just nonsensical.

So what year will Australia and New Zealand be ready and able to play in a World Cup in England? 2023?

4 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

For the neutral non-RL sports fan who might switch on the World Cup - will they actually know the difference of the Aussies or NZ aren’t there?

Maybe the so called lesser teams might provide more entertainment. They can certainly match the English side.

Of course, this won’t change the fact that the stadiums will probably be pretty empty, which looks awful on TV. Maybe we could just sell all tickets super cheap for most group matches in the hope of attracting new fans who just want a sporting experience after 18 months locked away. Could work? 

4 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

For the neutral non-RL sports fan who might switch on the World Cup - will they actually know the difference of the Aussies or NZ aren’t there?

Maybe the so called lesser teams might provide more entertainment. They can certainly match the English side.

Of course, this won’t change the fact that the stadiums will probably be pretty empty, which looks awful on TV. Maybe we could just sell all tickets super cheap for most group matches in the hope of attracting new fans who just want a sporting experience after 18 months locked away. Could work? 

Once again somebody knocking the attendance my understanding is a few stadiums have sold very well, so if you know different lets see the facts or are you just a knocker for the sake of knocking show the facts or shut up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Bring in the United States.

The tv coverage might just convince a good deal more of them of the enormous untapped potential of our game.

This is Rugby League's Cuban Crisis, we need to turn to our allies, work with them and put on the best show we can.

The ''new'' nations will add some very welcome novelty and open up their whole populations to our great game.

Unless they come back to the table, for this world cup then it'll be a long time before we can trust/deal with those back-stabbers from down under.

I saw USA V Cook Islands in 2013 at Memorial Ground Bristol great game.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

What’s Tedesco said? Noticed he’s in some of those photos.

He came out last week amongst the uncertainty and said he has a strong desire to play in the WC for Australia despite the situation. Stated that he'd loved being able to do it previously with Italy but was really keen to represent Australia in a WC.

• Thanks 1