Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

The RLPA gets its funding from the NRL, so I wouldn't hold my breath for too much from them. A bit of lip service re supporting the event and perhaps not getting in the way of players who do want to travel over is the best we'll get.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Yes that adds another 240 000 on Foxtel ( pay TV ) plus the other ~270 000 that Foxtel streaming service Kayo averages per match, so we are talking about a total viewing audience of nearly 900 000.

Regardless of that, as Pedant says, any sport that can supplement its local competition with quality international fixtures is going to be at an advantage in the long-term.

Soccers` great disadvantage in this country is that the local League is woeful, and I`m not saying that to be spiteful, they struggle to put three passes together, this is why the match of the week averages about 50 000 on FTA and the rest about 10 000 on Pay TV.

If soccer in this country can eventually tap into the growing rivalries with some Asian nations at a club competition level, and stop losing any player with the remotest bit of talent to wealthier foreign soccer leagues, and that includes just about every competition in the world, local soccer could become the juggernaut it is just about everywhere else. In fact I have read several times over the years it is soccer the afl fears not League.

All built on the back of a strong international presence.

n.b. one thing the local players do do exceptionally well and on a par with their EPL counterparts is the after goal celebrations. They mightn`t score many, and half of them might be rebounds or own goals, but boy when they jag one, they certainly know all the antics, world class in fact.

916,000 was the viewing numbers that the Matildas twitter feed put out following their win over New Zealand.

And then the men go out and beat Argentina.

People notice stuff like that.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Having digested a load of official and unofficial comment online over the past 24 hours, I think that the IRL should push the following:

- it is not possible to 'delay' or 'postpone' the 2021 RLWC; moving it means cancellation followed by the organisation of a(n almost) new event - shut down anyone using the phrase 'postpone for 12 months' and use the phrase 'cancel the 2021 RLWC'

- ARLC, NZRL, Gus Gould, and other sympathisers have conspicuously failed to mention the women's and wheelchair RLWCs - shame them about it

- keep pushing Simon Johnson forward

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

- ARLC, NZRL, Gus Gould, and other sympathisers have conspicuously failed to mention the women's and wheelchair RLWCs - shame them about it

This

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Having digested a load of official and unofficial comment online over the past 24 hours, I think that the IRL should push the following:

- it is not possible to 'delay' or 'postpone' the 2021 RLWC; moving it means cancellation followed by the organisation of a(n almost) new event - shut down anyone using the phrase 'postpone for 12 months' and use the phrase 'cancel the 2021 RLWC'

- keep pushing Simon Johnson forward

Phil Gould does not care one bit about the women’s game or the wheelchair game, he cares about SOO first then the NRL everything else is irrelevant in his mind

• Like 6

So is the idea of Europe based Aus/NZ teams being mooted/considered? 

Fox League's coverage about the WC is very limited and seems to be very much in agreement to pulling out. I guess like Russia TV news it is controlled/manipulated by the higher power 

Once again Aussie tw*ts

I know the Aussies on here are angry but are the league fans dien there angry or are they basically like the Fox news commentators? 

10 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The bag of wind opens his laptop again!

There are people who have been shielding (not in a luxury hotel) for 18 months... not a few months here or there.. they haven't seen new born family members, not been to sick and dieing relatives and all the while losing money because they cannot work, not earning millions.. 

There are people who, while not being in a bubble, have lost their jobs, their businesses, chunks of family etc etc

This sort of thing is a celebration that that no longer needs to happen.. and they can get back to normal and be in the stands watching the game they love. Something that has kept them going.. 

If they players didn't actually want to come then fine that's on them and I'd be disappointed but I'd potentially understand it.. but by the looks of everything we are now seeing they want to bloody play!!! Let them play you sanctimonious wind bag... the clubs and the nrl rely on the people they are sticking 2 fingers up to... its an absolute joke. 

Play on RLWC and tell the aussies and kiwis (especially the kiwis.. 20 peices of silver) to sod off if they come wanting a "lucrative" tour

Just now, theswanmcr said:

Where is this mentioned (I can’t find anything online). If that happens then that really is curtains for the World Cup.

I expect the Aussies will be working hard behind the scenes to get this cancelled/delayed 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Where is this mentioned (I can’t find anything online). If that happens then that really is curtains for the World Cup.

If they have signed agreements it would be hard to pull out, it could bankrupt their govening body

Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

Just now, frank said:

Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

He's not come across well on anything I've seen so far.

I expect other countries will withdraw as well.  The NRL clubs will lean on the ARL and NZRL and they will lean on the governing bodies of the PI nations to ensure their key players don't come over.

It would be absolutely wonderful if the players took a stand but it's a power play and I won't blame anyone who doesn't stand up to the body that pays their wages.  But I will forever blame the NRL and won't forgive or forget.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I expect the Aussies will be working hard behind the scenes to get this cancelled/delayed 

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, frank said:

If they get money for attending and expenses are covered, I wonder how they could lose millions? It's turning into a real power game.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

15 hours ago, JohnM said:

you missed a great game, though. Its not their fault they are ruled by the guy on the left.

spacer.png

RIP John Cornell.

Condolences to his friends and Family.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

Nice little Pacific Cup for them in the Autumn

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

If they get money for attending and expenses are covered, I wonder how they could lose millions? It's turning into a real power game.

It’s a lie. He is lying.