Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

They don't want to participate and influence others to join them? If pressure is applied, even tacitly, that's bordering on sabotage. I can't believe they would stoop that low.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, RayCee said:

They don't want to participate and influence others to join them? If pressure is applied, even tacitly, that's bordering on sabotage. I can't believe they would stoop that low.

They clearly have, though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Unfortunately the Pacific nations rely heavily on NRL funding and I’m sure the “threat” of losing that funding will prove to be the deciding factor in their participation.

Yep … I think this will happen unfortunately. Massive pressure from the ARLC will be brought on the players/teams/governing bodies from other South Pacific nations to withdraw. Of course I'm hoping otherwise but I'm preparing for the inevitable.

And if so,  that will be the end of my 46-year following of the game …

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, dkw said:

Hey @Sports Prophet, you owe me for our bet.

Not yet I don’t… where does the RLPA statement say they were not consulted by the ARLC???

Nowhere. Just says that “a number of players” (flimsy comment at best) views were “not enough to prevent this decision”.

If anything, that says they were consulted.

RLPA Statement This Morning

“The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament,” said RLPA Chief Executive Officer, Clint Newton.

“We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks. 

“Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely.

“We have worked closely with Rugby League World Cup staff for some time now and we are committed to continuing those discussions regarding player health and safety protocols. 

“We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing. 

“For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

“We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night’s decision.”

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer
Rugby League Players’ Association

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

Can you not,I don’t for a second believe there is level the NRL will not sink to in order to get their way.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Not yet I don’t… where does the RLPA statement say they were not consulted by the ARLC???

Nowhere. Just says that “a number of players” (flimsy comment at best) views were “not enough to prevent this decision”.

“The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament,” said RLPA Chief Executive Officer, Clint Newton.

“We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks. 

“Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely.

“We have worked closely with Rugby League World Cup staff for some time now and we are committed to continuing those discussions regarding player health and safety protocols. 

“We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing. 

“For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

“We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night’s decision.”

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer

Morning Peter 

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer

Garbage.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know the Aussies on here are angry but are the league fans dien there angry or are they basically like the Fox news commentators? 

It`s a strange one, the story is disappearing fast off the papers, at least the two I read, the `Sydney Morning Herald`, a Sydney based NSW paper and `The Australian` a national broadsheet. Yet when I check the comments section attached to the two articles that remain on the topic (one in each paper) there is considerable outrage.

As far as the tabloids I imagine a little faux outrage and then back to Gutho`s dog and the Penrith hookers marital issues and whether we will ply NZ at the end of the year. But their paper is meaningless, they are just looking to get a headline.

Let`s put it this way, if this was the cancellation of the RUWC or soccer WC, it would be all over the papers, with all the opinion writers having a say, with the RLWC the papers obviously don`t consider it news worthy enough than to have one story each and that will be gone by this time tomorrow. A lot of people seem disappointed, but it ain`t big news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Do you still believe that a fat man in a red suit brings you presents at Christmas?

What are you trying to say?

It's all just a crazy banged up crock of dishes created by a bunch of Lily livered chicken dinners who don't deserve any sympathy at all. As an old boss used to say, I hope their rabbit dies and they can't sell the hutch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, frank said:

Just had the NZRL CEO on thIs evenings news,  he had a smirk on his face and was almost laughing when he was  justifying the reason for not fronting up. He stated that the NZRL would be millions out of pocket if they attended.

Well they will be now because of the millions the nrl just gave them.... wait till they need some more from a nice uk tour... sod off

15 hours ago, Gomersall said:

The problem is that the NRL power play will have everyone towing the line with veiled threats.

Just 24 hours after McGuire is quoted as saying he was keen for the World Cup to go ahead there is an NRL.com article where he is saying this about players switching to other PI nations...

"I think all the players will consult with the experts to decide if it's the right thing to do but as far as I understand you've got two big strong countries making the right decision for the players," he said.

"I'd advise them to have a look at the reasons why Australia and New Zealand made the decisions not to go ahead, purely because of player safety. Players need to be aware of those things."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/catch-you-in-22-maguire-keen-for-world-cup-to-be-postponed/

The whole thing just stinks.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Any other sporting body who witnessed this  guy on tv tonight, would think he was a right b-rk. He should be removed from his post for the damage he has done to the game here.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s a strange one, the story is disappearing fast off the papers, at least the two I read, the `Sydney Morning Herald`, a Sydney based NSW paper and `The Australian` a national broadsheet. Yet when I check the comments section attached to the two articles that remain on the topic (one in each paper) there is considerable outrage.

As far as the tabloids I imagine a little faux outrage and then back to Gutho`s dog and the Penrith hookers marital issues and whether we will ply NZ at the end of the year. But their paper is meaningless, they are just looking to get a headline.

Let`s put it this way, if this was the cancellation of the RUWC or soccer WC, it would be all over the papers, with all the opinion writers having a say, with the RLWC the papers obviously don`t consider it news worthy enough than to have one story each and that will be gone by this time tomorrow. A lot of people seem disappointed, but it ain`t big news.

As far as I can see there just seems a huge attempt by sycophantic friendly NRL media to bury this and move on so it isn't discussed. They don't want moves against the decision to gain traction. Hence nonsense news pieces about RL in the Olympics released the same day and more articles today. 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

As far as I can see there just seems a huge attempt by sycophantic friendly NRL media to bury this and move on so it isn't discussed. They don't want moves against the decision to gain traction. Hence nonsense news pieces about RL in the Olympics released the same day and more articles today. 

Client journalism depends on access. You see it a lot these days.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

The Anzacs who died at Gallipoli must be turning in the graves with this cowardly decisions by the ARL and NZRL

I doubt representative rugby league was top of their list of concerns.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The problem is that the NRL power play will have everyone towing the line with veiled threats.

Just 24 hours after McGuire is quoted as saying he was keen for the World Cup to go ahead there is an NRL.com article where he is saying this about players switching to other PI nations...

"I think all the players will consult with the experts to decide if it's the right thing to do but as far as I understand you've got two big strong countries making the right decision for the players," he said.

"I'd advise them to have a look at the reasons why Australia and New Zealand made the decisions not to go ahead, purely because of player safety. Players need to be aware of those things."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/catch-you-in-22-maguire-keen-for-world-cup-to-be-postponed/

The whole thing just stinks.

Absolutely

It's a fait accompli

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jim from Oz said:

And like the sand through the hour glass, so are the Mal Meninga brain farts of our lives …

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-kiwis-call-for-year-ending-tests-despite-world-cup-boycott-20210723-p58cb3.html

And there it is

I've never posted on this site but as a RL fan of almost thirty years, coached, run a club and I've been to have been associated with the sport. But today I feel that the sport is really on a precipice. This world Cup was vital and could have really ignited the game and put RL in the shop window. Sadly that usual inward looking trait often associated with the sport has put paid to that. I struggle too believe the NRL can't see the benefits of having a strong International competition and all the benefits that can bring. They have sabotaged a World Cup, removed playing opportunities and caused untold damage to the sport with the full ramifications not yet apparent. I'm not sure where we go from here but I can't see how this relationship with the NRL can be salvaged, particularly with the way this news broke and the contempt shown by them. A very sad day.

• Like 14