Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

If we can get those other nations to commit a WC with England, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and PNG pushing for the title will be pretty exciting and a complete one-off for RL. They will play in the stadiums, they will be on TV, they will lift the trophy - it could be pretty exciting and I have a feeling the RL watching public in the UK will fight back and watch it in huge numbers.

Also, the women's tournament can include Samoa and perhaps Tonga who were denied entry. These will also probably be Ferns players not able to travel with NZ.

47 minutes ago, tiffers said:

If we can keep in the PI teams then we need to proceed with the tournament. We have to make a stand. But dont be fooled that getting the tournament on is the end of this.

I do not see an Eng vs. Aus series for a very long time indeed and do we seriously think they will treat a French world cup in 2025 with any more respect? Already a risky venture for FFR, it just got a whole lot more risky.

I agree with all of your points but the above two paragraphs, in particular, deserve a lot of emphasis.

The 'show must go on'.

As I said on a different post, the bullies need standing up to otherwise they'll continue to dictate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, tiffers said:

24hrs on and the dust far from settling, I am very, very disappointed.

If we can keep in the PI teams then we need to proceed with the tournament. We have to make a stand. But dont be fooled that getting the tournament on is the end of this.

We need fundamental change. If this isnt the catalyst we need to ensure we have a regular NH series and competition and look to capitlise then we are doomed. The control over SH RL shown by the NRL, for their own means, ensures we cannot and probably will not trust them for a very long time.

I do not see an Eng vs. Aus series for a very long time indeed and do we seriously think they will treat a French world cup in 2025 with any more respect? Already a risky venture for FFR, it just got a whole lot more risky.

We have to use this emotion and motivation in the right way and build NH International RL. Yes, it might not draw the same level of crowds and interest to start with. But we need to find a way to financially support other international federations alongside our own RFL if we really want RL to develop across Europe and the NH.

The last 24hrs has proven this is the only trustworthy way to drive revenues, awareness and a longer term future for international RL.

We need to get 3 test game against France in the next few years even play one game in France plus 2 games in England. My first ever international back in the 70s was at Headingly against France great game no quarter giving by both sides.

• Like 2

The whole thing that could smash this open is the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns, I really hope they come out swinging about the hypocrisy and the fact that they weren't even consulted.

A lot of them play for tiny match fees and this is basically the highlight of their whole careers (and they were getting the same pay as the men for the WC). It could make the ARLC/NZRL look pretty pathetic if the Wheelchair athletes kicked off too and made it really uncomfortable for the selfish NRL clubs.

Misogyny and discrimination in one big bundle!

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 5

I still think the way through this is to get to a point where there are enough NRL players declaring for other nations where it becomes absolutely pointless that Aus/NZ aren't competing.

They don't want their pre-season being affected, make it so it's affected anyway. Create a situation where it would be easier for them to U-turn than to carry on. We know from previous tours how fragile the Australian RL ego can be, if you can pull away enough of their players, you then start working on the "too scared", "don't want to risk losing" aspect in press.

• Like 4

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The whole thing that could smash this open is the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns, I really hope they come out swinging about the hypocrisy and the fact that they weren't even consulted.

A lot of them play for tiny match fees and this is basically the highlight of their whole careers (and they were getting the same pay as the men for the WC). It could make the ARLC/NZRL look pretty back is the Wheelchair athletes kicked off too and made it really uncomfortable for the selfish NRL clubs.

The fact that Woman's Rugby League is so far down the NRL website menu (you need to click on "more" button BTW) tells you everything about where they hold it in esteem to the Men...

32 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

If England do end up playing against France and other NH nations instead then we all need to get behind it and make them a big occasion regardless of the scoreline. We should all now push for a regular NH competition.

Absolutely, let's be honest, previously we've only really been interested in playing Aus & NZ because they are the only sides we have in truth deemed worthy, we need to get behind playing France, USA, Ireland and all comers really even though they are walk overs for the first many years, RL, the sport gotta grow something and we can't trust the ARLC to help. The only way they can do that is by us the fans getting behind it. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Let's for a moment take Gus Gould - who no doubt has the ear of Peter V'landys - and his words about the NRL running international RL at face value.

How could it possibly be better than what was planned for the autumn? What is their game?

The RL Ashes could be much bigger than SoO.....

They want to protect state of origin. Idiots. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This is getting more and more bizarre. Australian and NZ test players now being backed to go and play for other nations in the WC. WTF is going on? These are the same players that need protecting? Or is it that the NRL has no jurisdiction outside the Australian test team and its puppy NZ.

https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league/rlpa-at-odds-with-nrl-over-world-cup-c-3483514

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has backed Australian Test players to travel to England and play for other nations in the Rugby League World Cup after his own side's withdrawal.

Australia and New Zealand's decision to pull out for health reasons has sent shockwaves around the rugby league world, as organisers weigh up what to do next.

The decision however may still not stop close to 350 other Australian-based players and staff from travelling to the tournament if it goes ahead.

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary and Wests Tigers counterpart Michael Maguire were among those on Friday to recommend against their players going for health reasons.

But it's unlikely clubs will be able to legally stop players, who must be made available for representative football as part of their contract.

It means several likely Kangaroos picks could play for other nations, including James Tedesco for Italy and David Fifita for Tonga.

Jarome Luai, Junior Paulo, Tino Fa'asuamaleaui, Payne Haas, Brian To'o and Josh Papalii could all play for Samoa, while Daniel Saifiti and Tariq Sims are both eligible for Fiji.

"That's their decision and I would support that," Meninga told AAP.

"If James for instance chose to go play for Italy because he can't play for Australia, I wouldn't stand in his way.

Could be a great world cup this, spread the Aus and NZ talent pool about. 

• Like 1

Just now, Trojan said:

TBH I don't think the ~Cup will happen,If what the doctors say is true by the time of the World Cup Covid will be back in spades, largely because of the end of restrictions.  Things're pretty bad now, wait until the kids go back and the results of three months of unrestricted mixing present themselves.  

Aussie RL players are pretty valuable commodities to their clubs and I don't think they want to risk them in what will be a dangerous atmosphere in the UK.  

I've a feeling the exact opposite will happen. Just like it did in Texas and Florida when they lifted restrictions and ended the mask mandate.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Right.

It wasn't just your post to be honest.... There's others about Rees Mogg etc too.

I personally couldn't really care, but the moderators like to keep it apolitical on here (was the feedback I had). 

Edit: I see John Drake has just jumped in as I was typing this, with a similar message. 

It is really helpful to us as moderators when people report these matters to us, so we can take the appropriate action.

If all you do is complain about it on the public forum, it doesn't help at all.

We don't have the time to sit and read every post on the forum 24/7, and we have always relied on forum members themselves helping us out to uphold the rules on here by (a) following the rules themselves, and (b ) reporting problems to us when they arise and NOT responding to them on here.

Hope that makes things clear.

Just now, Johnoco said:

I don't know why some people are trying to give credence to the covid angle (correction, I know exactly why they do it but anyway) as it's just a brilliant excuse to avoid it, which they were hoping to do anyway. You could tell from the half assed job they made of the 2017 WC that it isn't a big deal to them. 

That’s exactly it.. it’s all about disruption to the precious nrl.. no more no less. Get all players into other teams and let’s see their true colours. 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnoco said:

I don't know why some people are trying to give credence to the covid angle (correction, I know exactly why they do it but anyway) as it's just a brilliant excuse to avoid it, which they were hoping to do anyway. You could tell from the half assed job they made of the 2017 WC that it isn't a big deal to them. 

Given how many cases there’s been in Super League and subsequent cancellations, I can see why they’d want no part of the competition unless plenty of conditions were met. We’re told they were met, which is then disappointing that they’ve then made this decision and even more frustrating that they gave four minutes notice and didn’t consult their players. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And the way they are trying to duck out of hosting the 2025 world cup and lump it on France. Great for the game if it comes off, and I completely support France getting it if they can get the funding, but let's not kid ourselves that the NRL are pushing it only because they do not want to host it.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

And the way they are trying to duck out of hosting the 2025 world cup and lump it on France. Great for the game if it comes off, and I completely support France getting it if they can get the funding, but let's not kid ourselves that the NRL are pushing it only because they do not want to host it.

They dont want a world cup as a stronger global game makes them loose power over the game

• Like 3

The Australians for some time have talked about playing their beloved Origin in the UK. Maybe a little negotiation on this could see them do a U-turn if not they can kiss goodbye playing it in the UK in the future.

• Like 2

The Key thing now is the pressure thats applied to players of other nations. They are essential to the tournament taking place or not now.

Would also be good for some of our UK RL Journo's to get some comment from the English based NRL players. As all questions and comment currently is coming from Australia, who, naturally, are only asking certain questions.

• Like 3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, rlno1 said:

The Australians for some time have talked about playing their beloved Origin in the UK. Maybe a little negotiation on this could see them do a U-turn if not they can kiss goodbye playing it in the UK in the future.

They’ve never seriously debated Origin in England. 

• Like 1

The way the NRL are going about this makes me think their plan for international RL is a Tri-Nations series - of New Zealand, New South Wales and Queensland.

On a serious note though, one point that nobody seems to have mentioned is that not only does this harm top level international sides, but It's a complete kick in the balls for sides like Jamaica and Serbia, not only in that they have enthusiastic coaches and supporters who built their teams and the game's presence in these countries from virtually nothing, but for the players who, in the case of the domestic Jamaican players for example, are living in rough areas and most likely in financially tough situations, if not outright poverty. This could go for domestic Easetern European and Lebanese players also.

What was the appeal of RL? The same thing that motivates someone to chase a football or NFL dream - here's a sport that just might offer a way out to something better. I remember someone posted the interview with the Jamaican RL head when they qualified for the WC and the theme he kept hammering home was that here was a chance to make something of yourself, potentially have an overseas career, if nothing else, everyone could see YOU representing the nation.

And now all that is potentially taken away because Gus Fool and Peter V'Wankdys think the world ends not at the borders of Australia, but at the internal state borders of Queensland and NSW.

I could see some of the developing nations thinking "why should we even bother any more?"

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I guess everything depends on Samoa, Tonga & Fiji now. 

If Tonga dont come and play games down under instead I cant see how Woolf could come back to St Helens and not be a laughing stock, his reputation would be in tatters regardless of what else he wins in the NH. His position would become untenable

• Like 3

This reminds me of the Super League War

20 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Was just reading that New Zealand want to play Tonga instead of going to the world cup, in return they will play Tonga in Tonga next year, sh*thousary of the highest order this

• Like 1