Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

They'd be using Headingley's Leeds Beckett Uni Gym facilities. These are used by pro athletes all the time, for example Leeds United used them for their first days back in preseason a couple of weeks ago an England RL in a mid season training session perfectly well in a bio secure way. Indeed I believe the kiwis have been there regularly before 

It is a huge professional campus with multiple facilities within it. Asking them to close all of it down to anyone who is not the 30 odd man Kiwi travelling team would be unreasonable. Likewise hotels, what are they actually expecting beyond what everyone else says is acceptable?

Its all conjecture anyway, I hope those trial games are good!

Just to observe that that is a significantly weaker bubble than any international arrangement I'm currently aware of.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Allora said:

Sharing a Gym with all and sundry hardly makes it any sort of Bubble at all.

Many Players from the Pacific Islands will not get a Vaccine where does that leave them in a Public Gym and Hotel with 40-50k cases a day?
Just playing Devils Advocate.

That's some gym that has 50k cases a day.

Do you really believe that they are making the Oz/NZ teams share a gym with the public?  "After you on that machine please cobber?"

Give over.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

That's some gym that has 50k cases a day.

Do you really believe that they are making the Oz/NZ teams share a gym with the public?  "After you on that machine please cobber?"

Give over.

I didn’t say that did I.

You tell me are they sharing the Gym?

The head of the Kiwis said that, Tommygilf said it’s the way it is.

What do you know?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

No such thing as total isolation! However I get your point. 

The team is isolated together, once they compete they fly home to 14 day isolation.

They isolated in Cairns before travelling to Japan.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I didn’t say that did I.

You tell me are they sharing the Gym?

The head of the Kiwis said that, Tommygilf said it’s the way it is.

What do you know?

I know that the World Cup organisers, in consultation with the Government, said they addressed NZRL's reasonable concerns - so if one of them was sharing a gym with the public, they are not being asked to share a gym with the public.  I would go as far as to say I can't imagine that they ever were being asked to share a gym with the public and suspect it is convenient exaggeration / misrepresentation from an agenda driven interview.

Surely if you are going to make such an enormous decision as to pull out of a World Cup you would set out all these concerns more clearly to help people understand?  Unless it wasn't actually the real reason I suppose. . . . .

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Not attending the WC has very little to do with covid, so it's irrelevant how proper something is if someone doesn't want to do it.

It has everything to do with Covid, a lot of the World does not agree with the UKs approach.

Tell me how is the Super League season going?

But.. but the experts tell us we will have herd immunity and no cases soon after the spike.. maybe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Damien said:

And the way they are trying to duck out of hosting the 2025 world cup and lump it on France. Great for the game if it comes off, and I completely support France getting it if they can get the funding, but let's not kid ourselves that the NRL are pushing it only because they do not want to host it.

I'd have thought the chances of France getting government funding to host the world cup in 2025 have been greatly reduced in the last 24 hours or so, courtesy of Australia and New Zealand

• Like 7

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

I know that the World Cup organisers, in consultation with the Government, said they addressed NZRL's reasonable concerns - so if one of them was sharing a gym with the public, they are not being asked to share a gym with the public.  I would go as far as to say I can't imagine that they ever were being asked to share a gym with the public and suspect it is convenient exaggeration / misinformation from an agenda driven interview.

That is what you believe.

I am only quoting what was said on BBC 5 live podcast.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

It has everything to do with Covid, a lot of the World does not agree with the UKs approach.

But.. but the experts tell us we will have herd immunity and no cases soon after the spike.. maybe.

At some point that will be true yes. COVID's here forever, once you've vaccinated everyone you've got to open up sometime. Sitting waiting for it to go away is not an option. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I know that the World Cup organisers, in consultation with the Government, said they addressed NZRL's reasonable concerns - so if one of them was sharing a gym with the public, they are not being asked to share a gym with the public.  I would go as far as to say I can't imagine that they ever were being asked to share a gym with the public and suspect it is convenient exaggeration / misrepresentation from an agenda driven interview.

Surely if you are going to make such an enormous decision as to pull out of a World Cup you would set out all these concerns more clearly to help people understand?  Unless it wasn't actually the real reason I suppose. . . . .

It was obviously good enough for them last week when they signed up to the world cup, strange how now its terrifying.

• Like 4

I tell you what, if Aus/NZ do a u-turn and participate, this is the best publicity we could have got for the tournament - it's all over the papers/media. The interest it will drum up will be palpable and would surely drive ticket sales.................big if though

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

The SL season is being impacted by a small number of positive cases and a very large number of people being "pinged" into isolation.  Sometimes rather "conveniently" on behalf of certain clubs. . . . 

The bubbles around the SL teams will bear no resemblence whatsoever to those around the World Cup.  Interesting you don't reference a pan-European soccer tournament, a chunk of which was hosted in Engalnd in front of crowds, and how many players were infected and how many matches were called off?

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 4

That is what you believe.

I am only quoting what was said on BBC 5 live podcast.

But you continue to ignore the real reason, which is what Phil Gould and all the other Anzac commentators are saying : this is about not disrupting the NRL pre season and nothing else.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, dkw said:

Phil Gould is a moron, every time he speaks or writes he shows how ignorant and dense he is. Him giving credibility to the cowardly withdrawl just adds to his legacy of idiocy.

And he speaks with the bitterness of a man who never got close to playing rep' football. If he had, then he might possibly understand what it means to elite players.

As a club player he was taught all he knows, at Penrith, by the maestro Mike Stephenson.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I'd have thought the chances of France getting government funding to host the world cup in 2025 have been greatly reduced in the last 24 hours or so, courtesy of Australia and New Zealand

Good point.

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

Australia an NZ have to do what they consider is best.

Best for who?

They have a choice between doing what is "best" for the NRL and what is "best" for the sport and those players who are more than willing to travel to play in a World Cup because they understand that they will be protected and are more likely to be put at risk chopping tomatoes for dinner than by Covid in the UK as young professional athletes.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

The team is isolated together, once they compete they fly home to 14 day isolation.

They isolated in Cairns before travelling to Japan.

And on the track? The judoka and Greco Roman wrestlers sweating over each other? The long distance runners spending up to 3 hours close to others in a marathon? Yeah not at all the same. No, the Aussies have seen an opportunity to show that the NRL has more clout. Well if you're not in it , you can't win it. We could still put them in the draw and give their opponents a 24-0 win 😆. And put that in the record books.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Australia has had a poor vaccine rollout due to many factors, some being the EU blocking sending Vaccines.

Maybe Oz and NZ have had to lock the Countries down until they get their populations vaccinated.

Have you considered that?

Have you considered the existnece of quarantine?  RL playersd are no more likely to bring Covid back to Australia than any other athletes or humans in general if they follow the rules.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

I'm calling time in here for a little while, to give a few people an opportunity to wind their necks in and calm down a bit.

I've just binned off a number of posts that are not appropriate to this forum, whether they be personal insults, arguments over Covid/vaccine policies or digressions into other subjects.

I'll reopen it in a short while, but until then, go off and have a cup of tea and a break from your computers or something, and when you come back, ensure that you follow our forum rules, or you'll end up being suspended with no further warnings given.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Reopened, with a general warning (posted for the millionth time).

If you see a problem on here REPORT IT AND DO NOT RESPOND TO IT.

Abide by the general forum rules at all times. Here they are for those who can't remember what they signed up to when they joined: https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/guidelines/

For anyone not happy with any of that, the internet is a big place, and other forums and social media platforms are available.

Thank you.