Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

great nuggets i na very good article (with at title that doesn't do it justice):

big rebellion by the players

RL Players association is at least supporting it to a certain degree

Troy Grant still fighting against his old clique

Replacement nations

out of the box replacement solutions

the statements of Meninga and Maguire

political discussions on a government level

• Like 1

This is so low I don't even know where to begin. Out and out bribary:

NZ Rugby League has confirmed it has started talks to play a test in the Pacific Islands - and Newshub understands it will be against Tonga. 

New Zealand and Australia have worn a verbal spray in the UK for withdrawing from this year's Rugby League World Cup, citing player welfare concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2021/07/rugby-league-nz-rugby-league-considers-taking-tests-to-tonga-with-world-cup-now-looking-doubtful.amp.html

• Like 3

Just now, Damien said:

NZ Rugby League has confirmed it has started talks to play a test in the Pacific Islands - and Newshub understands it will be against Tonga. 

New Zealand and Australia have worn a verbal spray in the UK for withdrawing from this year's Rugby League World Cup, citing player welfare concerns during the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2021/07/rugby-league-nz-rugby-league-considers-taking-tests-to-tonga-with-world-cup-now-looking-doubtful.amp.html

the only chance NZ and Australia, which means the NRL, have to win, is by bringing the Pacific Nations to an official boycott before the RLWC-British Government meeting on Monday

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its so incredibly blatant, just shows how little they care. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Allora said:

The team is isolated together, once they compete they fly home to 14 day isolation.

They isolated in Cairns before travelling to Japan.

And had COVID cases I believe... good to see they are taking player welfare so seriously...

10 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

Considering how little/non existent the Metros RL coverage of rugby league is in London.... look what made the back page of today’s Metro!

A98E72EC-3DFD-4DF8-8C20-416965756C00.jpeg

We want to get this kind of article/headline into the Australian/New Zealand press

• Like 3

Trying to be positive today so putting this out has a positive answer to the problem !!!! 

So the Aussies & Kiwis don't want to play in our World Cup OK so lets invite the USA & Serbia to take their places & invite the USA & Serbian press to a conference to announce they will be replacing the Aussies & Kiwis plus work with organizations in the UK to get the message out to citizens from the states & Serbia that live in the UK use any papers that are printed for them, Social Media sites to spread the word.

Also afterwards try to organize a thank you game in the USA plus a game in Serbia with England to say thanks for stepping in to keep the World Cup on.

Our future is playing the likes of France plus encouraging other European Country's to play each other whenever possible one off games, small tournaments to build up the European brand invite the likes of Jamaica , Lebanon & Greece plus Italy with invitations to USA & Canada let the Aussies & Kiwis be the so called big fish in their own pond.

• Like 5

Just now, Barley Mow said:

This suggests that their decision applies to both men's and women's world cups. But for the wheelchair event (for Australia at least) a decision hasn't been made yet.

Also still uncertainties around the pacific nations, too. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Damien said:

If Australia is keen then so are we … how much does that sentence say ? Are the kiwis incapable of any independent thought . Secondly he talks about respect for the pacific island nations … what like pulling out of the World Cup then basically trying to get them to . 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

This action is clearly proof that New Zealand is a client state. 

"A client state is a state that is economically, politically, or militarily subordinate to another more powerful state (termed controlling state in this article) in international relations. "

YES my Belarus friends would confirm that sadly:( 

40 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

This suggests that their decision applies to both men's and women's world cups. But for the wheelchair event (for Australia at least) a decision hasn't been made yet.

There was a statement and they've pulled out too.

3 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

The SL season is being impacted by a small number of positive cases and a very large number of people being "pinged" into isolation.  Sometimes rather "conveniently" on behalf of certain clubs. . . . 

The bubbles around the SL teams will bear no resemblence whatsoever to those around the World Cup.  Interesting you don't reference a pan-European soccer tournament, a chunk of which was hosted in Engalnd in front of crowds, and how many players were infected and how many matches were called off?

Thank you Mr Vee, I am happy to support your assertion.

I am so sad about all of this.

All of us on this forum are here for one reason ONLY we are RL fans.

I personally discovered this game by accident in 1974 whilst working in Hull then after a lapse of a few years took an interest again in 1980 when Fulham entered Division 2 of the old championship.

OMG there are a few scars out there when I was younger 😞 however I am still here and totally in love with this beautiful game  ( And I am a pure born and bred Southerner living in Kent when I am in the UK) 

In my later years and happily having my wife run the 2 business successfully it allows me time to spend on things that I love Radio/Train set/Cricket/Rugby League 🙂 The next few years of my life until I drop dead LOL all I want to see is RL progress in various countries around the world and 100% get back on its feet again in France we are very lucky that we have the ability to assist.

Trent Robinson would be a godsend for FRL I cannot explain so much being in marketing how much he would mean to getting FRL back on its feet again.

A successful France will have huge positive implications for RL in the UK.

All I can say is we really do need this WC to happen personally I think the players want it to happen as we all do.

Now is the time for the worldwide RL community to come together our hopes are with the fantastic players to stand up to this and make it happen.

Paul

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

great nuggets i na very good article (with at title that doesn't do it justice):

big rebellion by the players

RL Players association is at least supporting it to a certain degree

Troy Grant still fighting against his old clique

Replacement nations

out of the box replacement solutions

the statements of Meninga and Maguire

political discussions on a government level

Its worth noting that players who become "names" can enjoy various rewards and endorsements etc as a result of the WC.  So it strikes me it is the duty of the players association to question those who don't  support the WC.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

NZ and Australia trying to strong arm the pacific islands with sweeteners of end of season tests and future tests in places like Tonga is pretty much as low as it gets.

yes, Troy Grant and IRL have to compete with promises of Grants after RLWC, a new international calendar, England and/or Lions tours to them etc.

• Like 1