Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I’ve got a horrible feeling the RLWC board will announce they are cracking on with the tournament then other nations will pull out within days.

I think we simply have to crack on with the World Cup and not give in to what essentially is blackmail by the ANZACS / NRL hierarchy . They expect strong arm tactics to work and that WC stakeholders will fold . I think cancelling or postponing it to the end of next year would be terrible , the window is now . Go on with it and don’t capitulate or you’ll be totally emasculated and the NRL will be more powerful than ever . Let players choose to bolster heritage sides and put the best show on we can . And legally stop them playing any tests down there . Time to stand up to these and not back down 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Ah that's the flaw, call it the NRL World Cup and the Aussies would be all over it.

If the NRL start coercing the Pacific Island nations to withdraw then they need their ass sued off by the RLWC and UK Government. This is not pssing about with the RFL over whether they should play GB in a test or not. The default charges for the RLWC will run into tens of millions - tickets, stadia, grants, tv rights.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 3

World Cup organisers will spend the next three days weighing up what to do with the global tournament, still furious over the withdrawals of the Kangaroos and Kiwis. 

At this stage, the preferred option remains for the tournament to go ahead this year without the two top-ranked teams, with cancellation a more likely alternative than postponement. 

Regardless, both Australia and New Zealand are hopeful they can play some international football this year after almost two years without a match. 

But after they pulled out of the global showpiece, Grant indicated such a game would not be granted official Test match status by the IRL. 

"Any of those matches have to be sanctioned or get approval," Grant told AAP. 

"If the World Cup was cancelled or postponed then that would be of potential. 

"But I am not sure it would be looked upon favourably if it was run whilst the World Cup was supposed to be run." 

Asked if a match could still be played as a friendly or exhibition game, Grant warned there could still be potential sanctions considered for both nations. 

"There are a lot of scenarios there," Grant said. 

"But the World Cup could probably take an injunction out on it happening from a commercial point of view if it was an event in contrast to what they were supposed to be doing. 

"Or they could play it, risking (IRL) sanction."

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

If the NRL start coercing the Pacific Island nations to withdraw then they need their ass sued off by the RLWC and UK Government. This is not pssing about with the RFL over whether they should play GB in a test or not. The default charges for the RLWC will run into tens of millions - tickets, stadia, grants, tv rights.

They are, sadly, clearly already doing just that. Read the quotes from the Penrith coach on here… https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/final-decision-on-world-cup-expected-next-week/

Basically saying that I’m sure they will understand when we tell them that they can’t go to the World Cup. It is absolutely blatant and despicable.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

They are, sadly, clearly already doing just that. Read the quotes from the Penrith coach on here… https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/final-decision-on-world-cup-expected-next-week/

Basically saying that I’m sure they will understand when we tell them that they can’t go to the World Cup. It is absolutely blatant and despicable.

On a positive note from that article, well done Wayne Bennett for saying he would support his players going to the World Cup.

And well done to Tom Burgess for delayed his wedding to represent his country at a World Cup.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Has a timeframe for any decision been mentioned at all?

Four minutes.

• Haha 6

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I know it’s a little far fetched but what’s the odds on the NRL seeking to bankrupt the game over here? Then take it over? 

Very far-fetched - I doubt they'd bother with the second part of that plan. :kolobok_wink:

• Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In the long term this has to be a wake up call to everyone in the game from Junior amateur club Chairmen and coaches right the way through every level of the professional game and the RFL. Most of all the warring Chairmen and Chief Execs of Superleague need to stop bickering, stop being selfish and stop being myopic about their own club and understand they are charged with the wellbeing of this great game.

We need to pull together like never before and become stronger than we’ve ever been! I mean that in every sense of the sport, financially, participation, player pathways, marketing, broadcasting and media to name but a few areas into which we need to pour effort and resources.

We need to be vibrant and strong so that we can bring into effect a balance of power across the two hemispheres. 

If this episode doesn’t drive that message home to those who matter then they themselves are part of the problem!

Edited by OMEGA
  • Like 9

I think people would be more sympathetic with the ARLC and the NZRL if they were desperately trying to get to the WC. They clearly aren’t interested in attending and COVID then becomes a convenient excuse.

Rather than wishing everyone else a successful,event, their attitude smacks of hoping the WC fails. I am shocked how brazenly this is being played out. 

A potential schism that has been smouldering for years is now looking like a gaping divide. The weakness of RL in the Northern hemisphere is being taken advantage of in a shameless way.

• Like 5

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I didn’t think I could dislike the Aussies any more until 2 days ago.

Now they’re up there with the distain I have for Bradford & Maurice Lyndsey so at least it’s nice to learn something new. 

At least this way we’ll see the lengths they’ll go to as they perpetuate their “player welfare” lie. Scumbags is the nicest word I can conjure at the moment.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

In reality the Government of Queensland has told the NRL one more covid breach and they'll shut down the comp... I have a feeling australia and nz would then play.

This shows that the COVID protocols for the WC aren’t the problem. The issue would be all players respecting them. There have been too many beaches where players have ignored the protocols, even at the risk of losing lucrative contracts. 

I'm not sure their participation is any more likely if the NRL comp cannot be completed. The WC would still affect some preseason training.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Well, I didn't think anything positive would come out of this shambles but at least I have found a new hobby.

I find sarcastically replying to Phil Gould's inane Tweets to be remarkably therapeutic.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Well, I didn't think anything positive would come out of this shambles but at least I have found a new hobby.

I find sarcastically replying to Phil Gould's inane Tweets to be remarkably therapeutic.

I used to completely loathe him, grew to respect his views but now he’s just a sell out!

sad really!

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

You know he is trolling but its hard to resist.