Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

The thing I have been most shocked about is the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns - basically had their dreams shattered by the knock on effects of this. This WC was the reason a few of them switched codes, playing at Old Trafford would be the highlight of their lives. The NRL made a decision and then thought, oh #### we will have to pull out the women's and wheelchair teams as well. 

Saying that the women can stand up for themselves and they have done and said nothing. I've looked at instagram and twitter profiles of the leading stars and not one has made a comment. The women and wheelchair players are the one group of people who could bring the self absorbed crp crashing down in embarrassment!

I`m not aware of any players for whom the prospect of playing in the RLWC played a part in their decision to switch codes. Most played League as juniors in mixed teams, had to give up aged 12, only played RU because there was no girls RL, then naturally came back to league at open age. The few who have switched with no previous League experience have done so in response to the rapid growth of opportunities in female club RL.

I strongly agree with your point that the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns ought to raise their voices. Even with women`s SOO and the expansion of the NRLW, they can`t afford to look gift horses in the mouth. This women`s WC, played concurrently with the men`s, is an opportunity to showcase the women`s game like never before. If they don`t come, nobody will be keen to organise a women`s tournament like this for a very long time.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

During NRL emissary Shane Richardson`s bizarre trip to your country, one of the comments that really stuck in my memory was Richardson`s unguarded comment that the NRL was sick of IRL supporting tournaments where teams were made up of heritage players, I think he called it a great waste of money.

On the face of it you`re probably thinking NRL hypocrite, but I don`t think he blurted out that comment by mistake, it`s probably an insight into NRL thinking down here. I`m wondering if they think what is the point of having these composite teams when there is none or miniscule League activity in those countries. If your going to have heritage teams at least there should be actual on the ground competitions in those countries that will benefit from International fixtures.  Like we`ve got now in the Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, or the Kiwi`s who have an actual team in our comp, otherwise who are you playing for.

We are possibly on the verge of something big down here, if those teams, plus NZ, can put their best teams on the field down here at the end of the season it could be anything.

The other big thing is that the wallabies have never looked so weak, which could provide a real counterpoint if the Kiwis League team or any of the others can put up a good fight and hopefully beat us. If this coincides with the wallabies getting thrashed by the All-Blacks I reckon eyes will pretty quickly turn to the Kiwi national League team in that country as opposed to their union side, at least against us, and that`s who they play most of their union tests against. That will be a massive step into making inroads against union in that country. That contagion could spread pretty quickly throughout the Pacific as well, as both the Fijian and Tongan test teams both got thrashed by the All-Blacks recently. This will benefit League word wide.

Maybe at heart this is what their focus is. Organic growth where there is existing League activity, i.e France is where the action is and France should be the focus up there, not wasting our money on composite teams from Lebanon, Greece, Italy, Ireland whoever.

Even if you are right and their ambition is to support countries where there is development underway and they see heritage World Cups as something of a waste of time... they have chosen a hell of a way of going about it.

You are defined by your actions and I can tell you now how I define the leadership of the game in Australia.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Anyone would think its the NRL's money to spend! The only real revenue the IRL get is from the RLWC and the NRL barely made an effort in 2017 and as far as I recall didn't even return the promised profit.

The 2017 World Cup showed how lucky they are that Origin and the NRL's dominance in two states of Australia were already well established before the current leaders of Australian rugby league made it to the top.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Mate he might have made a pigs ear of this one, but christ we wouldn`t want to lose him, he`s a take no prisoners sort of bloke the game over here has been missing, the afl fear him and we know what he did to the union, through his position as CEO of Racing NSW, he put the pressure on Tabcorp (Racing NSW is their biggest customer) to block the broadcast of the union at pubs and clubs across NSW, which they did, he`s ruthless.

Oh dear.

And he lost all the credibility he had over the course of 60 seconds.

Bad luck.

• Like 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

During NRL emissary Shane Richardson`s bizarre trip to your country, one of the comments that really stuck in my memory was Richardson`s unguarded comment that the NRL was sick of IRL supporting tournaments where teams were made up of heritage players, I think he called it a great waste of money.

On the face of it you`re probably thinking NRL hypocrite, but I don`t think he blurted out that comment by mistake, it`s probably an insight into NRL thinking down here. I`m wondering if they think what is the point of having these composite teams when there is none or miniscule League activity in those countries. If your going to have heritage teams at least there should be actual on the ground competitions in those countries that will benefit from International fixtures.  Like we`ve got now in the Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, or the Kiwi`s who have an actual team in our comp, otherwise who are you playing for.

We are possibly on the verge of something big down here, if those teams, plus NZ, can put their best teams on the field down here at the end of the season it could be anything.

The other big thing is that the wallabies have never looked so weak, which could provide a real counterpoint if the Kiwis League team or any of the others can put up a good fight and hopefully beat us. If this coincides with the wallabies getting thrashed by the All-Blacks I reckon eyes will pretty quickly turn to the Kiwi national League team in that country as opposed to their union side, at least against us, and that`s who they play most of their union tests against. That will be a massive step into making inroads against union in that country. That contagion could spread pretty quickly throughout the Pacific as well, as both the Fijian and Tongan test teams both got thrashed by the All-Blacks recently. This will benefit League word wide.

I wouldn't underestimate the animosity to Aussie RL this is causing up here amongst us fans. 

I also wouldn't underestimate the lasting damage to the reputation of league over here amongst the wider population. 

Maybe a Sydney based NRL is happy playing the top dog in NSW/QL for now. However you may just have given up your trump card over fumbleball - a World Cup. Can't say i'll be that p****ed off if AFL eventually takes over now. Personally I'm done following the NRL and I'll  watch a bit more cricket when no RL on here

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Mate he might have made a pigs ear of this one, but christ we wouldn`t want to lose him, he`s a take no prisoners sort of bloke the game over here has been missing, the afl fear him and we know what he did to the union, through his position as CEO of Racing NSW, he put the pressure on Tabcorp (Racing NSW is their biggest customer) to block the broadcast of the union at pubs and clubs across NSW, which they did, he`s ruthless.

Just to point out.

The RFL are, I'm happy to admit, completely out of their depth most of the time and basically living hand to mouth.

But they emerged from the pandemic in profit (just).

Australian Rugby League lost $24m.

I don't care how ruthless and shouty anyone is. Reduced TV deals, effectively ending meaningful expansion and ending international competition are what the leadership over there are in charge of.

Balls to 'em.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I wouldn't underestimate the animosity to Aussie RL this is causing up here amongst us fans. 

I also wouldn't underestimate the lasting damage to the reputation of league over here amongst the wider population. 

Maybe a Sydney based NRL is happy playing the top dog in NSW/QL for now. However you may just have given up your trump card over fumbleball - a World Cup. Can't say i'll be that p****ed off if AFL eventually takes over now. Personally I'm done following the NRL and I'll  watch a bit more cricket when no RL on here

That pretty much sums up my feelings towards the NRL now as well. Granted I didn't watch much NRL before cos I don't have sky but I wouldn't watch it now even if you paid me.

A charity bag came through the door yesterday, I think my Parramatta, Newcastle and Queensland shirts will be the first things to be chucked in it.

I won't be watching the cricket in the off season, my second sport is snooker, almost on the same level as RL for me, very excited for the new season which started just a few days ago. Even with Covid the authorities in that sport have announced a new ranking event to be played in Turkey in a few months and we'll still be visiting Germany, Gibraltar, China, Ireland, not been announced yet where the European Masters will be but it is often in Romania and the Riga Open hasn't been confirmed but looks likely. The season will conclude in April and May with... what's that thing so many sports have..? Oh yes... A world championship! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

In addition it would be interesting to learn just how much the RFL were planning to earn from a successful tournament. If it is a large amount, and I guess that it is, then the impact upon the game in the UK could be enormous, some have even suggested terminal.

Not a lot, most if not all profits are for international rugby league development. It's the developing nations that will suffer.

6 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I love your optimism. But it’s a dead end. ARLC have said there’s no more negiotation. I’ve seen a similar statement from the NZRL. This has nothing to do with COVID and everything to do with power and money.

Dead right.  I’ve been arguing that the NRl clubs aren’t into sabotage and I don’t think they are but some of their coaches are now saying they don’t want their players to play - some are the same coaches that have enjoyed international RL.  Players need a rest?  Jeez, come Origin and finals they all play, injured or not.

The virus controls here haven’t been handled as well as they could imo but as you rightly say (backed up by their quotes) it’s all down to power control and money.  The idea that they’ve been in dialogue with us for 6 months is BS.  Not the dialogue that the WC warrants anyway.

Caused a lot of damage this.  I think Vlandys has been good for the NRL but he’s not the right guy to deal with the international stage.  We would never have got this shambles with Arthurson.

19 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

That pretty much sums up my feelings towards the NRL now as well. Granted I didn't watch much NRL before cos I don't have sky but I wouldn't watch it now even if you paid me.

A charity bag came through the door yesterday, I think my Parramatta, Newcastle and Queensland shirts will be the first things to be chucked in it.

We are going to Chester Zoo in a couple of weeks, we won't be admiring the Panthers or Eels even if you paid me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

We are going to Chester Zoo in a couple of weeks, we won't be admiring the Panthers or Eels even if you paid me. 

I hope you give the next Bulldog you see a good kick for England, too.

• Haha 1

It's always amusing when someone lives down to your expectations, Phil Gould has done that and more. I know he's probably trolling but he really is an obnoxious, myopic, cretinous old moron.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dkw said:

It's always amusing when someone lives down to your expectations, Phil Gould has done that and more. I know he's probably trolling but he really is an obnoxious, myopic, cretinous old moron.

I think you are being generous.

It's almost refreshing to have the pretence that the Aussie care about anything other than the NRL and Origin vanish. 

If this doesn't convince us that we need to really work on other international assets then nothing will. 

Maybe we should start that process this November. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Eels really do do my head in. When I used to go fishing, the river I went on was full of them, get one of them buggers wrapped round your line and they won't shift... even if you paid them! 😉

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

Given the various responses and explanations on here and in the Aus press and social media, it is now more clear than ever that this has nothing to do with Covid.. other than as a smokescreen. Vlandis is shamefully and disgustingly hiding behind the deaths and illnesses of Covid victims to promote his personal agenda.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's almost refreshing to have the pretence that the Aussie care about anything other than the NRL and Origin vanish. 

If this doesn't convince us that we need to really work on other international assets then nothing will. 

Maybe we should start that process this November. 

Agree with this, should just give up on the cowardly, insular Australian clubs and their pathetic lap dogs NZ. Move on, create a true international calendar with the islanders, French, UK nations and anyone else who wants involved. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I might have to take up hunting as well and go shoot a few bunnies. I think I'll increase my consumption of chickens as well. 

What's the chances of seeing some Sea Eagles near Hull?

1 minute ago, dkw said:

What's the chances of seeing some Sea Eagles near Hull?

Don't know, don't think we get many of them round here, I could just throw stones at some Seagulls, they annoy me as well, tried to steal my burger the other week when I went to Bridlington. I do know someone who owns a Manly shirt, can I just kick him in the balls?? 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Don't know, don't think we get many of them round here, I could just throw stones at some Seagulls, they annoy me as well, tried to steal my burger the other week when I went to Bridlington. I do know someone who owns a Manly shirt, can I just kick him in the balls?? 

I'll accept you hoying the bloke who owns a manly shirt at seagulls while shouting "go away you horrible Sea Eagles".

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I'll accept you hoying the bloke who owns a manly shirt at seagulls while shouting "go away you horrible Sea Eagles".

Spend just one night in Hull City centre and you'll see at least one bloke completely off his head on God knows what doing that, maybe not hoying the bloke but certainly screaming and swatting away imaginary sea eagles. 

• Haha 1