Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

If the NRL actions lead to the cancellation of the World Cup with all the repercussions and connotations to the game this will never be forgotten or forgiven and every statement they make about international rugby league will be a sick joke 

Yes it is not just absorbing the RLWC losses for the RFL David, it is the fact that the RFL big income tickets, CC, GF and Internationals haven't happened with proper crowds since 2019 and we haven't had a major home test since 2018. I guess the GB tour was a loss making exercise too. This could basically bankrupt the RFL.

This could genuinely destroy the game in the NH at least at a professional level. Of course that's what the #### down under want isn't it? It's their game and it's all about them.

It is soul destroying to think that this could happen to the game I've loved my whole life, something that is such a big part of me, just because a few d*ckheads want to make a bit more money, though that is how the greedy, materialistic, capitalist world works isn't it? Money, money, money, nothing else matters to these people. It's a horrible society we live in... 😔

I will support whatever we can salvage of the game in this country and in France with all my heart. We just need to remember, its about our love of the game, not about our love of money, that's what sets us apart. NH, for the game, SH, for the money. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've gotta stop reading this thread, it's just making me angrier and angrier. Absolutely disgusting behaviour. I am completely f*cking done with Aussie RL, f*cking selfish scumbags the lot of them!! 

Yep I'm determined to cast off my long term interest in NRL including tv subscriptions, buying shirts, podcasts the lot

Let's hope Catalan win SL, Tolouse go up and French league enters a bright new phase for us to enjoy

**** the NRL

• Like 1

Wholly heartily agree with comments about the Wheelchair/Women’s World Cup. In much the same way the Olympics works, some of those involved will have worked their lives around this event. 

It’s the one part of the sport which can have genuine claim to being better than many others. Also probably the most likely form of actual development beyond the commonwealth nations in introducing RL to people. 

Edited by LongbridgeH
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What cards are left in our hand to play?

More pressure from the players themselves?

UK govt intervention to prevent loss of public money and for reasons of prestige?

Anything else?

Player pressure is key for me but the RLPA statement was underwhelming and there hasn't been many major figures speaking out.

Whether the NRL centric media are asking the questions that need to be asked from the players is a different story. If the situation was reversed I'd be expecting to see articles where journalists were asking players their views and almost doing lists of who was in or out in the Kangaroo and Kiwi teams. The fact we are seeing nothing simply makes me think that journalists don't want to lose access and jeopardise stories down the line. The channel 9/Fox Sports not having TV rights aspect is also telling, with their huge media impact, and I suspect if they had none of this would have even happened. 

The Government could perhaps provide a role but I suspect the NRL may just dig their heels further if that was the only pressure.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Player pressure is key for me but the RLPA statement was underwhelming and there hasn't been many major figures speaking out.

Whether the NRL centric media are asking the questions that need to be asked from the players is a different story. If the situation was reversed I'd be expecting to see articles where journalists were asking players their views and almost doing lists of who was in or out in the Kangaroo and Kiwi teams. The fact we are seeing nothing simply makes me think that journalists don't want to lose access and jeopardise stories down the line. The channel 9/Fox Sports not having TV rights aspect is also telling, with their huge media impact, and I suspect if they had none of this would have even happened. 

The Government could perhaps provide a role but I suspect the NRL may just dig their heels further if that was the only pressure.

Channel 9 had Shaun Johnson on interview after the game with Joey Johns and Freddie Fittler asking the questions - chose not to ask him a single question on NZ but plenty on returning to the Warriors next year and the Sharks injury situation. There is no awareness of what is invested in the RLWC here.

Edited by Scubby

I've been following your thread since this news broke in Australia last Thursday.

You are not alone - as much anger down here as well. We have had a gutful of the NRL.

This is my email i sent to NRL feedback which I'm happy to share.

Thanks for the memories.

To whom it may concern,

After following rugby league after 40 years - the decision last Thursday about not sending an Australian / New Zealand side to the rugby league world cup was the final straw for me.

You talk about player welfare as the reason - but a survey released showed 75% of those asked were willing to go. I guess you must of randomly rung the 25% of players who said no.

From all reports we hear the game in the far north of England is currently struggling. With the World Cup coming up - pardon the pun in the current climate - you supporting the tournament & sending any side possible would be the shot in the arm it needs.

We talk of the ANZAC spirit here & willing to do anything to help our mates in need. Well after the decision to pull out I couldn't think of a more selfish & arrogant attitude.

I always thought the international game need Australia / New Zealand but over the past few years. I'm not quite so sure. Some of the best internationals I have watched that I can remember has involved England v Tonga semi final in the last world cup, tonga v somoa, png v great britian. I'm sure there are many more I could list. I really hope it still goes on & is the best World Cup ever.

I followed you through Super League in the darkest days. I even kept following you during the reunification after some of the best clubs got culled forever. I kept watching this year on tv even though there have been more rule changes in the last 2 years than the last hundred combined.

But as i said above last Thursday was the last straw for me.

A mate of mine who followed South Sydney vowed never to watch a single game again after they were kicked out until his club was reinstated - at the time i thought he was bonkers but i can see where he is coming from now. I am not going to say i will never watch a game of NRL again because that would he hypocritical but for the foreseeable future while this garbage is being dished up I'm over taking an interest.

I guess the only real winner out of this is my wife who will get Thursday / Friday nights back in front of the television instead of me watching rugby league.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

Now just seen this online!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-league-world-cup-2021-nrl-clubs-headed-for-world-cup-showdown-australia-nz-withdraw/news-story/4dfcc41de0c6604a044590c679ed7014

International Rugby League boss Troy Grant has revealed that the UK government was prepared to spend more than a $1 million to cover all quarantine costs for NRL players and staff at Olympic Park on their return to Australia to ensure the 2021 World Cup took place.

The tournament has been thrown into turmoil after Australia and New Zealand decided to withdraw their teams from participating, citing Covid-19 concerns.

One of the major sticking points around the involvement of the Kangaroos and the Kiwis in the World Cup was what quarantine conditions NRL-based players would face after flying back from the UK, and whether that two-week period would then affect the start of the 2022 season.

However, Grant has claimed that World Cup organisers had secured funding to create a special precinct in Olympic Park, the same as the Australian Olympic team will experience on their return from Tokyo, where all NRL players could use to complete their quarantine that is far less restrictive than the harsh conditions members of the public have to go through.

“The UK government has helped fund the quarantine arrangements to be far more accommodating than the very strict 14-day hotel, where you’re not allowed out of the room,” he said.

“They’ve created a precinct at Homebush where there’s exercise availability for the 14 days. The time frame is the same but it’s certainly more relaxed in that precinct than the state-run hotel quarantine program.

“That's come at the assistance of the UK government and was one of the asks of both nations. It’s the same as the Australian Olympic team will do on their return, it’s the same the French rugby union team have done here.

“So there’s lots of precedent for it. It’s a process that’s even more relaxed that Hollywood actors have gone through.”

The Daily Telegraph has seen a copy of the World Cup Covid-19 policy and procedures handbook, a lengthy 74-page dossier explaining in depth how organisers plan to keep players safe from the coronavirus.

There has been a major backlash in the UK and the rest of the World Cup over Australia and New Zealand’s sudden boycott, when other major sporting events in England are taking place, and the World Cup may now be scrapped completely.

It comes as the Australian indigenous and New Zealand Maori teams are circling to break away and form shock replacements for the Kangaroos and the Kiwis.

Grant says the tournament organisers have done everything the Aussies and Kiwis have asked for.

“That’s part of the driver of the disappointment,” the former Minister for Police and the Minister for Emergency Services in the NSW Government, said.

“I’m not sure what the organising committee could do in addition to what they’ve been asked to do. As I understand it, New Zealand wanted more detail, they weren’t satisfied on the level of detail — I’m not sure what more they wanted.

“I know cost was an issue for them but that’s all been taken care of. Charter flights — that’s all been taken care of.

“The quarantining over two weeks and the disposition of the NRL clubs that was going to impact on the pre-season, I know the Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) and the individual players had come to their own arrangements to forgo those two weeks so it doesn’t push them out and jeopardise that pre-season period as well.

“So that’s all the arrangements between the two that can be arrived at and have historically been done. We thought we were well advanced with all those sorts of issues, hence we were surprised when the hammer was dropped with the decision.”

Grant will meet with World Cup organisers on Monday to determine if the World Cup still goes ahead in October as planned, without Australia and New Zealand’s involvement, or if the tournament is canned completely.

The Kangaroos and Kiwis want the World Cup postponed for 12 months, but Grant admits cancellation is more likely.

“Cancellation seems to be most likely option, given the crowded window next year, the significant impact it would have commercially and broadcast-wise, competing with other significant sporting events such as the 2022 Commonwealth Games and the 2022 FIFA World Cup,” he conceded.

“The viability of it being postponed is probably a greater loss of viability than a restructured tournament with other teams.”

Some have called for Australia and NZ to be sanctioned or even banned from international rugby league for pulling out of the World Cup.

The chairman of the IRL says there is the potential to take that action, but believes it would be “very difficult”.

“It would be counter-productive, we’re trying to grow the game,” Grant said.

“It’s extraordinary circumstances [with the pandemic] … you could cut your nose off to spite your face when it comes to the future of the international game.”

This has to be the most disgraceful act in the history of our once great sport,V’Landys and his media cronie Gould really are out to do a hatchet job on the international game,all in the name of greed & self interest.

Asa long time fan of the NRL & a big Roosters supporter I can’t help but hope the numerous Covid breaches in Qld continues & the state government shuts it down.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

Is it not just that the Aussies are afraid of Tonga? Too scared to lose to them fair and square again? This way they can pretend they're still the top dogs. 🤔

That had certainly crossed my mind, they would be less concerned with a possible England triumph I think but should one of Tonga, Samoa or Fiji win the World Cup then they will face the prospect of the tap of PI players switching to the Kangaroos turning off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wiganermike said:

That had certainly crossed my mind, they would be less concerned with a possible England triumph I think but should one of Tonga, Samoa or Fiji win the World Cup then they will face the prospect of the tap of PI players switching to the Kangaroos turning off.

It’s not that they won’t play for the Roos, as they don’t want the Roos ever to play again.

It’s the clear implication that SoO is no longer the pinnacle. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

This has to be the most disgraceful act in the history of our once great sport,V’Landys and his media cronie Gould really are out to do a hatchet job on the international game,all in the name of greed & self interest.

Asa long time fan of the NRL & a big Roosters supporter I can’t help but hope the numerous Covid breaches in Qld continues & the state government shuts it down.

I think their bigger concern now should the AFL. RL used to have an international scene that they have just destroyed. It was a big advantage over AFL they no longer have. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What cards are left in our hand to play?

More pressure from the players themselves?

UK govt intervention to prevent loss of public money and for reasons of prestige?

Anything else?

If this breakaway is true, I think that you will find that the English team will be invited down here to take place in tournaments anyway. They`d be crazy not to be invited, a fair whack of their players are here, they`d be competitive and they`d give a tournament a bit of real international cred and it could work in with the end of your season and leave you free to play mid-season internationals to strengthen your team and other NH teams.

No reason why other NH teams couldn`t still play each other at the end of the year and help them keep building.

The trick is how would the RFL gain some monetary advantage out of it. Selling TV rights back home?

One other thing, the Kiwis have got to the stage of having a very competitive International team with out really having a comp, if the NRL does become the centre of the League universe and more and more of your best players keep coming down here that is only going to help your national team, theoretically with the number of players you have, you should be way stronger than them.

8 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

Tonga have beaten Australia, NZ and GB recently, so there's a likelihood they will win it. The shame of Tonga beating them to the WC would be too much for their egos. If they were heavy favourites to win it, they wouldn't have pulled out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

If this breakaway is true, I think that you will find that the English team will be invited down here to take place in tournaments anyway. They`d be crazy not to be invited, a fair whack of their players are here, they`d be competitive and they`d give a tournament a bit of real international cred and it could work in with the end of your season and leave you free to play mid-season internationals to strengthen your team and other NH teams.

No reason why other NH teams couldn`t still play each other at the end of the year and help them keep building.

The trick is how would the RFL gain some monetary advantage out of it. Selling TV rights back home?

One other thing, the Kiwis have got to the stage of having a very competitive International team with out really having a comp, if the NRL does become the centre of the League universe and more and more of your best players keep coming down here that is only going to help your national team, theoretically with the number of players you have, you should be way stronger than them.

That's all well and good, but if this is the future it should surely be under the control/instigation of the IRL (with agreement of all the national governing bodies) rather than done with the ARLC/NRL holding a gun to our heads saying this is how international RL will now be run!?!

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

But it will all be rebel stuff. They will not be recognised at the governing body for the sport and they will not be able to gain entry at the Olympics as a rebel body to the IRL. Do you think it is a coincidence that Nigel Wood is replaced as IRL CEO by an Australian?

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Oh how kind of you them to invite us having screwed the World Cup and international rugby league because, well because they can.

They don’t want ‘Tonga v Samoa in Leeds’ (to quote Phil Gould) and have no interest in our but if the world or any other outside their own backyard and neighbouring islands.

Fuming and sad that the fait accompli is nearly here.

5 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

That's all well and good, but if this is the future it should surely be under the control/instigation of the IRL (with agreement of all the national governing bodies) rather than done with the ARLC/NRL holding a gun to our heads!?!

5 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Oh how kind of you them to invite us having screwed the World Cup and international rugby league because, well because they can.

They don’t want ‘Tonga v Samoa in Leeds’ (to quote Phil Gould) and have no interest in our but if the world or any other outside their own backyard and neighbouring islands.

Fuming and sad that the fait accompli is nearly here.

I`m not saying its wrong or right, I`m just trying to imagine how this might play out, I`m hoping there is an up-side for the game in your part of the world.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The best way to keep building the NH was for the SH to take part in this World Cup being held in the NH.

That would be playing the long game, as I see confining the sport to essentially to a couple of regions in Australia as ultimately a dead end in terms of big global sponsorship/broadcasting deals.

The situation may play out as you suggest though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Nope I wouldn't be happy with this in the slightest and would certainly walk away from the game. My patience has been severely tested over recent years and what happens next could certainly be the final straw.

The RLWC was the one glimmer in the horizon after a pretty poor few years and some disastrous decisions by the game. Other than the blind loyalty of playing and following the game for as long as I can remember there is little now keeping me engaged. The faults with the game here, that have meant I have lost interest, are a thread by itself and I won't bother repeating. As is I was watching far more NRL than Super League but have watched none since this decision was made and won't watch any unless its reversed. I'm sure others feel the same.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was watching far more NRL than Super League but have watched none since this decision was made and won't watch any unless its reversed. I'm sure others feel the same.

I am for sure done with the NRL

I'll probably just watch more cricket and talk to my wife more............

..... actually just the cricket bit

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I am for sure done with the NRL

I'll probably just watch more cricket and talk to my wife more............

..... actually just the cricket bit

Steady on. Unless she actually likes talking cricket?

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I`m not saying its wrong or right, I`m just trying to imagine how this might play out, I`m hoping there is an up-side for the game in your part of the world.

No I realise you that - and think that sadly that is how it will pan out. Good on you looking for an upside in this - and I guess eventually we wilL all need to do this - but hard at the minute. They have all the cards and know that very well.

• Like 1