Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

I will also never forget the way the ARLC/NZRL made the announcement - blindsiding a RLWC committee who have been planning this and working their backsides off for 5 years.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Hopefully once the British government gets in their ear of the Australian government this will bring some pressure onto the rogue that is V'landys. The Australian government provide alot of funding into PNG and the Pacific that involve rugby league and education.

The NRL don't do these things for free. 

• Like 1

they still have time to make things right even if its only  24/48 hours- if they just ignore the backlash then i will be getting rid of the nrl streaming service  in principle 

• Like 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

The last thing we need to do is cave into their demands, otherwise we're confirming the NRL are bigger than the sport. Continue on without them, show we can still hold big events without them present. 

All is lost if we delay and there is no guarantee we won't be in the same boat next year.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

All is lost if we delay and there is no guarantee we won't be in the same boat next year.

I think the crowds will be huge if it goes ahead - it almost becomes more important to the UK. I hope they can hold their nerve and there is a blanket statement signed by all 14 remaining nations confirming next week. 

• Like 5

I see the pig ignorant Phil Gould is now claiming that the rise of Tonga is down to the NRL. Funny that, I thought it was Jason Taumalolo choosing to represent them and a dozen talented youngsters following him. Getting angrier by the day here.

• Like 9

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

I hope everyone in the UK who buy NRL coverage or merchandise stop doing so. This will hurt them.

not just the uk- every nation thats been kicked in the teeth should shun them

• Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

The last thing we need to do is cave into their demands, otherwise we're confirming the NRL are bigger than the sport. Continue on without them, show we can still hold big events without them present. 

Agreed, once the tournament kicks off the focus will switch to the game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I see the pig ignorant Phil Gould is now claiming that the rise of Tonga is down to the NRL. Funny that, I thought it was Jason Taumalolo choosing to represent them and a dozen talented youngsters following him. Getting angrier by the day here.

He is an idiot, they have done nothing for the game in the Pacific never have because they couldn't make a dollar. It is only these players parents moving to Australia or NZ where league is played that Tonga have come up.

• Like 3

My hope is we carry on with the world cup, let those who want to play come as indigenous teams and let's enjoy our festival or rugby league we've had planned for 4 years, the whole RL community should now turned a blind eye to Aus and NZ and let them nowhere near the international game ever again, let them have their own 'world cup' between themselves.

I really hope the government/RLWC committee take legal action and sue the bums off this bunch of greedy, dream shattering, egotistical pieces of S*** !!!!!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, daz39 said:

My hope is we carry on with the world cup, let those who want to play come as indigenous teams and let's enjoy our festival or rugby league we've had planned for 4 years, the whole RL community should now turned a blind eye to Aus and NZ and let them nowhere near the international game ever again, let them have their own 'world cup' between themselves.

I really hope the government/RLWC committee take legal action and sue the bums off this bunch of greedy, dream shattering, egotistical pieces of S*** !!!!!

Wouldn't the likes of Tonga and Samoa get stronger as players will switch to them in the hope of playing at WC?

Could even invite Serbia and have Trbojevic and Cotric representing them.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

Censorship alive and well. I searched for the article through Google and it has indeed gone when you click on the link:

Costo, Mascord and some others are mentioning that it might be to do with tv rights for the tournament. If anyone watched the Murdoch Dynasties docu series on BBC, you’ll be aware of huge influence the Murdochs have - if it wasn’t for Ruport Murdoch, the UK would have joined the Euro and hence there would be no Brexit. All related to his support of Blair 

Back to the point at hand, if this is the case, the web goes deeper and it’ll require Boris to get involved with uncle Rupert. Gets very murky but these political machinations usually are

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been posted, but he makes the point about lack of take up for the Covid Vaccination down under so my question is why & have the players been offered it. I understand for personnel reasons some players will say no plus he talks about the union teams touring England have they had the Covid jab? 

Does make you wonder if the powers in charge where ever going to come & the question should be why if not weren't the players who where likely to come over offered the Covid jab?

In Support of Rugby League World Cup Withdrawals - YouTube

• Like 1

This tournament needs to be on, by hook or by crook.

If the actions of Australia and New Zealand lead to the world cup being cancelled, it should be seen as the worst crime against this game since the Vichy government abolished rugby league and gave the game's assets to union.

• Like 10

47 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but he makes the point about lack of take up for the Covid Vaccination down under so my question is why & have the players been offered it. I understand for personnel reasons some players will say no plus he talks about the union teams touring England have they had the Covid jab? 

Does make you wonder if the powers in charge where ever going to come & the question should be why if not weren't the players who where likely to come over offered the Covid jab?

It's just another nonsense excuse. If players won't vaccinate this year then they won't next year either so delaying it is pointless.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Bit of a ramble that, full of half truths and suspiciously lacks understanding of the UK Covid situation and well known govt support for the WC. Been previously mentioned he has an axe to grind with the RFL, IRL and ERL, I get the impression he had a falling out with the authorities over something. He lives in Australia and I think does some junior coaching. I gave his podcast a listen several times, but eventually gave up as it was so negative about NH RL. He has links to the "rebel" Euro XIII comp and the European nation he is performance manager for but fails to mention is Spain. That's only from this year and he got the job as he's good mates with the Valencia guy who runs Spanish RL. Unsure how he does that from Australia though.

Long ramble by myself there, but puts this video in context. As for whether NRL players have been offered the vaccine, well they probably have, but I'm sure it could be very easily organised if not. More likely the NRL doesnt want to pick a fight with the anti-Vax movement down there which is pretty strong.

• Like 2

When this story first broke my initial thoughts we’re all around constructive discussion with the aim of keeping Aus and NZ involved, or even possible postponement, under the assumption the fears of the ARLC were genuine.

That quite clearly now is not true.

Im still very much for ongoing discussion and keeping the door open to Aus and NZ to return and play in the World Cup, but if not, and the NRL players for the other competing countries can be confirmed, we absolutely must go ahead with the tournament.

Part of any plan must also be around rewarding the likes of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG with genuine tours to the UK, as well as England and France tours to those nations.

• Like 12

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

When this story first broke my initial thoughts we’re all around constructive discussion with the aim of keeping Aus and NZ involved, or even possible postponement, under the assumption the fears of the ARLC were genuine.

That quite clearly now is not true.

Im still very much for ongoing discussion and keeping the door open to Aus and NZ to return and play in the World Cup, but if not, and the NRL players for the other competing countries can be confirmed, we absolutely must go ahead with the tournament.

Part of any plan must also be around rewarding the likes of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG with genuine tours to the UK, as well as England and France tours to those nations.

Indeed. I have been pushing on here for some time to get the PI nations to tour and think that it would be every bit as profitable as NZ, who seem to be the default option. We need to get these countries into the fold and reward them.

• Like 5