Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There was a very angry man in the chippie having a rant about this whole situation. Naturally I joined in! 😁

You could have done a podcast , ‘ Being chippie in a chippie - 1) Rugby League World Cup ‘

Edited by DavidM
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

As a proud Hull fan I do not appreciate that kind of stereotyping..!

...I got a haddock..!!

We don't eat cod in Hull.

• Like 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 minute ago, jacksy said:

We don't eat cod in Hull.

Funny, one of my first memories of Hull was being taken to a Wednesday night game at the Boulevard in 1982. Crowd seemed huge. Fish and chips at a chippy about 50 yards from the ground. Was too young to decipher if it was haddock or not though 🙂 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed. I have been pushing on here for some time to get the PI nations to tour and think that it would be every bit as profitable as NZ, who seem to be the default option. We need to get these countries into the fold and reward them.

The role those nations now play in the direction of International RL is huge.

A few posters have interestingly likened this to the Superleague war, and how Ironic it is that Phil Gould, who played such a prominent role for the ARL, seems to be very vocal in supporting the ARLC decision and what could be viewed as an action akin to that of News Corp back in 1994/95.

There are ways of changing things if you believe an alternative direction is needed, but this arrogant and deceitful way employed by the ARLC is beyond low.

• Like 5

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

8 minutes ago, The One said:

Just seen a government “get vaccinated” advert featuring England football fans.

if it goes ahead we should push for a version with England RL fans.

Shaun Wane has got some time on his hands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

This has to be the most disgraceful act in the history of our once great sport,V’Landys and his media cronie Gould really are out to do a hatchet job on the international game,all in the name of greed & self interest.

Asa long time fan of the NRL & a big Roosters supporter I can’t help but hope the numerous Covid breaches in Qld continues & the state government shuts it down.

Please summarise the article in the Australian for me? What ''new'' information does it reveal?

53 minutes ago, The One said:

Just seen a government “get vaccinated” advert featuring England football fans.

if it goes ahead we should push for a version with England RL fans.

Let’s not bring this into a vaccine debate. It bears no relevance to the matter, as young fit rugby players should be able to battle off COVID regardless of any vaccine. Taking this off down that tangent is not helpful or relevant to any non attendance from those 2 nations 

• Like 5

Phil Gould has blocked me on Twitter.  He can dish it out but he cant take it. Can't handle the truth, I guess.  All I was going to do this time was to ask him to read Ozimandias by Shelley.  The sonnet refers to the cold command of tyrannical rulers (Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair) and how time's ruinous force obliterates all. " Of course, his works are nowhere to be seen .."the lone and level sands stretch far away" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Let’s not bring this into a vaccine debate. It bears no relevance to the matter, as young fit rugby players should be able to battle off COVID regardless of any vaccine. Taking this off down that tangent is not helpful or relevant to any non attendance from those 2 nations 

I was thinking about the free advertising, not making a point about vaccines...

Might not be clear off you haven’t seen the advert.

Edited by The One

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Phil Gould has blocked me on Twitter.  He can dish it out but he cant take it. Can't handle the truth, I guess.  All I was going to do this time was to ask him to read Ozimandias by Shelley.  The sonnet refers to the cold command of tyrannical rulers (Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair) and how time's ruinous force obliterates all. " Of course, his works are nowhere to be seen .."the lone and level sands stretch far away" 

He blocks anyone who has a different view than him. Says a lot about the man

I hope that people see me as more of an optimist than a pessimist on these boards but I think we all have to brace ourselves for the news that the Pacific Island nations will pull out of the World Cup following their meeting tomorrow.  They have a powerful big brother in the NRL that I don't feel they will want to stand up to.

I desperately hope I am wrong though and I will celebrate being wrong.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I hope that people see me as more of an optimist than a pessimist on these boards but I think we all have to brace ourselves for the news that the Pacific Island nations will pull out of the World Cup following their meeting tomorrow.  They have a powerful big brother in the NRL that I don't feel they will want to stand up to.

I desperately hope I am wrong though and I will celebrate being wrong.

Yep after a week of ‘stuff the lot of them and let’s keep going’ I fear too that is exactly what is going to happen. They will keep their close friends close and will have every bribe, sorry ‘incentive’, thrown their way while we sit helpless thousands of miles away.

I too hope I’m wrong. Tomorrow we will find out for sure one way or the other. If they do fall under the NRL spell then I like many others am done with rugby league.

• Like 1