Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

I was just watching the videos on the BBC website of Tom Daley and Matty Lee winning the 10m synchromised platform gold and Adam Peaty retaining his 100m breaststroke title and I thought to myself... if only the British Olympic Association had had the welfare of these young men in their hearts they would have stopped them from going to Japan and fulfilling a lifelong ambition and saved them from themselves.

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

34 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Again, the irony of it. Check out the headline in the Sydney Morning Herald. RTS leaving the NRL in pursuit of International honours in a rival code.
653795084_Screenshot2021-07-26at09_54_28.jpg.750e09557fb0f1da18b85841b61217c6.jpg

And to try and tour the UK this autumn. It would be laughable if it wasn't so serious for the game.

Would he have stayed for the RLWC? I'd like to think so but I'm sure the withdrawal certainly made this decision easier and certainly meant he had nothing worth staying in RL for.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But wait, won't all the other sports come to realise that depriving young men (and women) of their ambition of representing their country for sake of their welfare is the way the forward. 

Without asking them, of course, which is surely the only way to do it properly.

But you never ask the people it affects because remember as the governing body.. you know best!

9 minutes ago, del capo said:

Can anyone point to the scientific / medical advice underpinning the NRL decision ?

i think the point of the whole thread is that.... no, no one can, there isnt any... their pants are well and truly on fire.. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

https://www.totalrl.com/world-cup-officials-issue-interim-statement-of-intent/

Maybe I am just an optimist, but they haven't called it off or postponed it so hopefully this indicates all the other nations still intend to be there

From the article.
"The Board will meet again in the coming days but in the meantime will continue to concentrate its efforts on being solutions focused and achieving the best possible outcome for the tournament"

Here here. Kudos to the RLWC team, who are proving to be an excellent example of how to behave and hold yourself in a professional sport.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

From the article.
"The Board will meet again in the coming days but in the meantime will continue to concentrate its efforts on being solutions focused and achieving the best possible outcome for the tournament"

Here here. Kudos to the RLWC team, who are proving to be an excellent example of how to behave and hold yourself in a professional sport.

I've been hugely impressed with them - no begging, just justified outrage and contempt whilst exploring alternatives and leaving the door open.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

"The Rugby League World Cup 2021 have held an emergency Board meeting following the hugely disappointing statement made by ARLC and NZRL. The Board conducted constructive discussions on the best way forward for the tournament and will continue dialogue with all stakeholders, including the UK Government, in the coming days.

“The well-being of all those involved in the tournament, particularly players and team officials, have been the priority for the organisers. The Board reiterated the relentless hard work and extraordinary measures that have been taken to create a world class environment in line with other major sports event that have been successfully hosted in UK this year.

“The Board will meet again in the coming days but in the meantime will continue to concentrate its efforts on being solutions focused and achieving the best possible outcome for the tournament.”

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Maybe I am just an optimist, but they haven't called it off or postponed it so hopefully this indicates all the other nations still intend to be there

too early to read anything into it IMO - it could also be read as a positioning statement aimed at keeping the pressure up, or worst case, so that there hasn't been a total period of silence from them between Friday and then everyone else pulling out today that people could point to and say 'they didn't care either'

FWIW I think it's the former of my options - this is just to get some messages out in public from the cup side, while who knows what is being said in private to the PI from Australia. Basically it's pretty transparent media management - but that's not to say it's pointless. It's a belt and braces statement that they pretty much have to issue at this point if they're halfway competent (which fwiw I believe they are). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iffleyox said:

too early to read anything into it IMO - it could also be read as a positioning statement aimed at keeping the pressure up, or worst case, so that there hasn't been a total period of silence from them between Friday and then everyone else pulling out today that people could point to and say 'they didn't care either'

FWIW I think it's the former of my options - this is just to get some messages out in public from the cup side, while who knows what is being said in private to the PI from Australia. Basically it's pretty transparent media management - but that's not to say it's pointless. It's a belt and braces statement that they pretty much have to issue at this point if they're halfway competent (which fwiw I believe they are). 

to be honest its a refreshing change. This is the sort of thing we have (as a sport) been poor at in the last few years. "Managing the Media" and "Managing the Message" are really important and they have done this well IMHO. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

From the article.
"The Board will meet again in the coming days but in the meantime will continue to concentrate its efforts on being solutions focused and achieving the best possible outcome for the tournament NRL"

With a slight alteration I've saved the NRL the bother of writing their next release. 

Lets say it goes ahead France & Greece for their first game could fly into Doncaster Airport (understand Toulouse do that) so would be no reason to isolate in the UK at the start of tournament. Wales could find a base in North Wales due to games being in the North West. Once again Italy could fly into Newcastle for first 2 games plus Ireland into Doncaster again, has for Scotland like Wales a base near Berwick would be ideal special coaches just for them teams washed & cleaned after every trip with the World Cup logo & team name on it.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

I don't really care if the Aussies don't come.  In the same way that I didn't care whether the Americans and Soviets came to the Olympics in 1980 and 1984.

Whoever wins, wins.

Exactly. England boycotted the first three fifa world cups, Uruguay won the first then boycotted the next two. Italy don’t put an asterisk next to their first two World Cup wins they beat whoever turned up. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Devon Ram said:

Lets say it goes ahead France & Greece for their first game could fly into Doncaster Airport (understand Toulouse do that) so would be no reason to isolate in the UK at the start of tournament. Wales could find a base in North Wales due to games being in the North West. Once again Italy could fly into Newcastle for first 2 games plus Ireland into Doncaster again, has for Scotland like Wales a base near Berwick would be ideal special coaches just for them teams washed & cleaned after every trip with the World Cup logo & team name on it.

Teams wont be flying in and out like Toulouse and Catalans do, once they are here they stay for the duration. That strengthens the bubble protocols and means organisers can keep a very close eye on everyone.  

The host locations for teams put in commercial bids and were awarded these after the tendering exercise. There is no need to change them as the Covid protocols will be the same wherever they are based.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Yes they would.

Not by me they wouldn't, and I can't imagine by many people in Australia or New Zealand either.

People here can stamp their feet in anger all they like, but it's not a proper World Cup without Australia and New Zealand. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise given the records of those two teams in previous tournaments.

I want England to one day win the World Cup, but I wouldn't take any great satisfaction in us doing so if Australia and New Zealand were absent.

How many Ashes series, Tri nations, Four nations, and world cups have England/GB won in my lifetime? None. The reason being that Australia and New Zealand always prevented that from happening. They were always the obstacle that needed to be overcome, in order to be winners. With that in mind, no way am I going to celebrate England winning when those two teams were absent.

As I said previously, I have no objection if the RLWC organisers decide to go ahead with the tournament. If they think it's the only feasible option (for financial reasons etc.), then I back their judgement. But please don't expect me to value the tournament in the same way that I normally would.

• Like 1

V'landys just keeps at it. I hate what this man is doing to the game. He sounds like a dictator always telling players what they should think. Everything he goes on about is a result of the policies he has subjected players to for the last 18 months. Where was the concern for players welfare then?:

V'landys has not spoken to International Rugby League officials about his request for the tournament to be postponed following the ugly fall out from Australia's exit last week.

But the ARL Commission chairman doesn't believe Australian-based players will want to head to the tournament once considering the COVID-19 risk in England.

"I haven't given (the Indigenous side playing) any consideration at the moment because I think when players understand the risk they are undertaking they will have a different view," V'landys told AAP.

"You have to remember people say the Olympics went on but they did get postponed and Olympic athletes haven't been in a bubble for 18 months.

"We have had them in a bubble for 18 months, they have two-week confinement at the moment away from their families.

"You have to be a little cognisant of the conditions they are under."

Stars Won't Want World Cup Risk: V'landys | Racing and Sports

Edited by Damien

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

V'landys just keeps at it. I hate what this man is doing to the game. He sounds like a dictator always telling players what they should think. Everything he goes on about is a result of the policies he has subjected players to for the last 18 months. Where was the concern for players welfare then?:

V'landys has not spoken to International Rugby League officials about his request for the tournament to be postponed following the ugly fall out from Australia's exit last week.

But the ARL Commission chairman doesn't believe Australian-based players will want to head to the tournament once considering the COVID-19 risk in England.

"I haven't given (the Indigenous side playing) any consideration at the moment because I think when players understand the risk they are undertaking they will have a different view," V'landys told AAP.

"You have to remember people say the Olympics went on but they did get postponed and Olympic athletes haven't been in a bubble for 18 months.

"We have had them in a bubble for 18 months, they have two-week confinement at the moment away from their families.

He  talks about players like they’re idiots who need to be educated and don’t ‘ understand ‘ , and also treats them with immense disrespect in giving them no voice here . He then talks about the risks and conditions he’s protecting them from , in a caring paternalistic way , before describing the circumstances he’s put them through for 18 months to keep the money coming in from the broadcasters . Player welfare ?

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

he might want to look at the statistics to be "a little cognisant of the conditions" in the UK.. another week with cases dropping.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57962995

I totally understand his argument that bubbling for that long is tough (though many people have had to shield over the last 18 months and would have been very happy to have been just simply bubbled with mates!!!) but that then is an individual decision of whether they want to do it for any longer surely.. or in the free world it is at least. 

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

It's up to the players how they would feel. Maybe they'll love their appearance on SPOTY as World Champions, having finally won it after all those years of hurt.

You won it lately?

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

You won it lately?

You're obviously running out of wise cracks, because that one is just irrelevant nonsense.

Let me ask you; do you think an England player winning the World Cup under the circumstances we're discussing, is not going to feel that it's a somewhat hollow victory? Do you think that the likes of Tomkins and Roby would afterwards chat to Hanley, Farrell, Edwards, Goulding, Sam Burgess etc. and say "We achieved something you didn't do. We won the World Cup." And if they did, what do you think the reaction of those former players would be?

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

You're obviously running out of wise cracks, because that one is just irrelevant nonsense.

Let me ask you; do you think an England player winning the World Cup under the circumstances we're discussing, is not going to feel that it's a somewhat hollow victory? Do you think that the likes of Tomkins and Roby would afterwards chat to Hanley, Farrell, Edwards, Goulding, Sam Burgess etc. and say "We achieved something you didn't do. We won the World Cup." And if they did, what do you think the reaction of those former players would be?

Nah, I`m just bored of the garbage you keep posting. Any player winning anything in an international tournament will love it, it wont feel like a hollow victory at all, not even slightly. Do you think any teams in the football tournaments ever feel its not a real win because some top country failed to qualify? 

Also, we are now going with hypothetical conversations as some kind of point being made? Possibly the most pathetic way of attempting to "win" an argument. 

• Like 2