Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

V'landys just keeps at it. I hate what this man is doing to the game. He sounds like a dictator always telling players what they should think. Everything he goes on about is a result of the policies he has subjected players to for the last 18 months. Where was the concern for players welfare then?:

V'landys has not spoken to International Rugby League officials about his request for the tournament to be postponed following the ugly fall out from Australia's exit last week.

But the ARL Commission chairman doesn't believe Australian-based players will want to head to the tournament once considering the COVID-19 risk in England.

"I haven't given (the Indigenous side playing) any consideration at the moment because I think when players understand the risk they are undertaking they will have a different view," V'landys told AAP.

"You have to remember people say the Olympics went on but they did get postponed and Olympic athletes haven't been in a bubble for 18 months.

"We have had them in a bubble for 18 months, they have two-week confinement at the moment away from their families.

"You have to be a little cognisant of the conditions they are under."

Stars Won't Want World Cup Risk: V'landys | Racing and Sports

And is there any evidence that he has actually talked to a single player as yet? His arrogance is just unbelievable

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Not by me they wouldn't, and I can't imagine by many people in Australia or New Zealand either.

People here can stamp their feet in anger all they like, but it's not a proper World Cup without Australia and New Zealand. It's ridiculous to argue otherwise given the records of those two teams in previous tournaments.

I want England to one day win the World Cup, but I wouldn't take any great satisfaction in us doing so if Australia and New Zealand were absent.

How many Ashes series, Tri nations, Four nations, and world cups have England/GB won in my lifetime? None. The reason being that Australia and New Zealand always prevented that from happening. They were always the obstacle that needed to be overcome, in order to be winners. With that in mind, no way am I going to celebrate England winning when those two teams were absent.

As I said previously, I have no objection if the RLWC organisers decide to go ahead with the tournament. If they think it's the only feasible option (for financial reasons etc.), then I back their judgement. But please don't expect me to value the tournament in the same way that I normally would.

Are you seriously suggesting that the tournament be cancelled when they are using their scurrilous, baseless nonsense, as a smoke screen to mount a coup d'etat?

Or that we play into their hands, facilitating their takeover of the IRL whilst incurring huge costs and possibly bankrupting, or at least, seriously undermining NH RL for years to come?

That we tacitly condone the dashing of the rest of the World's athletes (and their own) ambitions, hopes and dreams?

You may argue that their players are the best in the world, but the administrators are slimy, amoral, deceitful and untrustworthy propagandist tyrants.

Aren't you concerned with matters of right and wrong? 

I would argue that the behaviour of V'landys et al, in these matters makes them utterly unworthy of being a part of World-wide sporting alliance and ought to disqualify them from taking part in the World Cup.

It's supposed to be a meeting of sportsmen, not despots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Damien said:

V'landys just keeps at it. I hate what this man is doing to the game. He sounds like a dictator always telling players what they should think. Everything he goes on about is a result of the policies he has subjected players to for the last 18 months. Where was the concern for players welfare then?:

V'landys has not spoken to International Rugby League officials about his request for the tournament to be postponed following the ugly fall out from Australia's exit last week.

But the ARL Commission chairman doesn't believe Australian-based players will want to head to the tournament once considering the COVID-19 risk in England.

"I haven't given (the Indigenous side playing) any consideration at the moment because I think when players understand the risk they are undertaking they will have a different view," V'landys told AAP.

"You have to remember people say the Olympics went on but they did get postponed and Olympic athletes haven't been in a bubble for 18 months.

"We have had them in a bubble for 18 months, they have two-week confinement at the moment away from their families.

What has this got to do with the situation in England? That's like saying the England cricket team won't want to come down under for the Ashes because they have been under Covid rules this year? That is not a safety issue-  it is a personal choice issue?

Are they tired? Or are they scared? Or are they tired and scared? Have they actually spoken to the RLPA and the players themselves?

• Like 3

Look, there is a problem with Australia and New Zealand not competing or otherwise there wouldn’t be such a huge furore about them not being in it.

It’s not just about the manner of the withdrawal or the power play, it’s also about the credibility of the tournament now.  This is why people are hoping there’s still time for a u-turn.

We need them, they know it and it’s part of the reason we feel so screwed over by what they’ve done and emotions are running high.  I also think we need each other to have a true international game that has more potential upsides than being a regional sport.

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Are you seriously suggesting that the tournament be cancelled when they are using their scurrilous, baseless nonsense, as a smoke screen to mount a coup d'etat?

From a sporting perspective, I'd like it to be postponed so that it can take place with Australia and New Zealand also competing.

But I've also said that I will back whatever the RLWC organisers decide to do. They are the ones in a position to know the full facts. If they believe that delaying it would cause too much damage, then the lesser of two evils would be to go ahead with what, in my opinion, would be a tainted World Cup (from a purely sporting competition perspective).

As I said before, there's no perfect solution now, other than perhaps Australia and New Zealand changing their minds, which doesn't seem likely.

4 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

From a sporting perspective, I'd like it to be postponed so that it can take place with Australia and New Zealand also competing.

But I've also said that I will back whatever the RLWC organisers decide to do. They are the ones in a position to know the full facts. If they believe that delaying it would cause too much damage, then the lesser of two evils would be to go ahead with what, in my opinion, would be a tainted World Cup (from a purely sporting competition perspective).

As I said before, there's no perfect solution now, other than perhaps Australia and New Zealand changing their minds, which doesn't seem likely.

I no longer think Oz/NZ changing their minds is the perfect solution.  I think the indigenous teams joining, alongside all the other NRL players who wish to represent their teams with pride, together with a bucket of shame for Oz/NZ is now the perfect solution.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What has this got to do with the situation in England? That's like saying the England cricket team won't want to come down under for the Ashes because they have been under Covid rules this year? That is not a safety issue-  it is a personal choice issue?

Are they tired? Or are they scared? Or are they tired and scared? Have they actually spoken to the RLPA and the players themselves?

There is not a single report indicating V’landys has actually talked to the players!

Check out his arrogance here:

But while organisers had provided biosecurity plans that saw the implementation of a bubble with some small freedoms, V'landys stood by his decision given the rising COVID rates in the country.

"We have locked down Sydney with 150 infections. In England at the moment it is averaging 40,000 a day," he said.

"We did it because we don't want to put any more mental stress on the players.

"And there's a possibility if they go over there and get infected, then they have to spend 14 days in a hotel room on their own.

"People are acting irrationally. They should look at the facts.

"We have based our decisions on the facts. We haven't based it on emotion. And we're not going to risk the wellbeing of our players."

Just now, FearTheVee said:

WI no longer think Oz/NZ changing their minds is the perfect solution.  I think the indigenous teams joining, alongside all the other NRL players who wish to represent their teams with pride, together with a bucket of shame for Oz/NZ is now the perfect solution.

This. We need to take advantage of the timing of our showpiece event. Delaying will ruin it. We may as well try to piece alternative Aus and NZ teams together from Europe-based players, or use indigenous teams. After all, we are aiming at attracting neutral sports fans and those new to RL. They won’t know the difference, but the entertainment factor will still be there. In fact the games may be closer and more entertaining.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

And we're not going to risk the wellbeing of our players

I also read somewhere that half the players have or will refuse the vaccine anyway. So that makes a mockery of claiming that it’s the UK situation that is a threat to them. No doubt those are the players who are willing to play too. Just let them. Or let us create a team with the AUS and NZ label ourselves - that’s a fair trade for dumping on the sport at the last minute.

7 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

There is not a single report indicating V’landys has actually talked to the players!

But while organisers had provided biosecurity plans that saw the implementation of a bubble with some small freedoms, V'landys stood by his decision given the rising COVID rates in the country.

"We have locked down Sydney with 150 infections. In England at the moment it is averaging 40,000 a day," he said.

"And there's a possibility if they go over there and get infected, then they have to spend 14 days in a hotel room on their own.

"We have based our decisions on the facts. We haven't based it on emotion. And we're not going to risk the wellbeing of our players."

and yet the facts are that our rates of infection are falling 

Just caught the back end of an interview on Fox Sports.  Steve Roach was asked about the issue.  Part of his reply was ‘The Aussie players after returning HAVE to take eight weeks rest.  This PLUS the two weeks isolation upon return impacts upon the pre-season of their clubs’.

Surely a compromise would be to include the two week isolation as part of the eight week break before pre-season.

By the way Steve Roach said he would be on the plane if he was still playing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

This is a key battleground for me. The players clearly want to come, but V'Landys cannot come out and say no NRL player is allowed to go since if he openly banned players then he risks a significant player rebellion which would undermine his authority and credibility.

The best way forward for him is if any Pacific nations pull out, but they seem to be watching how things develop, none of them have come out and said a word yet. If  he already had them on board then they would have backed Aus & NZ last week and by now this would have been all over.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I also read somewhere that half the players have or will refuse the vaccine anyway. So that makes a mockery of claiming that it’s the UK situation that is a threat to them. No doubt those are the players who are willing to play too. Just let them. Or let us create a team with the AUS and NZ label ourselves - that’s a fair trade for dumping on the sport at the last minute.

I would encourage all NRL players to seek places in the other competing Nations teams.

I'm open minded about the indiginous teams, or Aus and NZ invitational sides (as long as they wear the Green and Gold and Black and White chevrons) but I would prefer to see the USA and another NH team included in the hope that there's a moral revolution in Australia resulting in the appointment of some decent, honest (trustworthy) men, to run the game over there.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just caught the back end of an interview on Fox Sports.  Steve Roach was asked about the issue.  Part of his reply was ‘The Aussie players after returning HAVE to take eight weeks rest.  This PLUS the two weeks isolation upon return impacts upon the pre-season of their clubs’.

Surely a compromise would be to include the two week isolation as part of the eight week break before pre-season.

That's not right, the players can use the 2 weeks as part of their 8 week break - it's their choice.

Good on him for saying he'd play though, gone up in my estimation.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

They don't have to have 8 weeks. In previous international tournaments players have foregone the full 8 weeks. It's just another excuse this time around.

• Like 5

This is where the truth lies:

"75% of players consulted by Australia's players' union remained happy to travel to England for the World Cup"

As the saying goes - speak up now boys or forever hold your peace.

Don't regret not being a voice now & missing out on maybe your only World Cup - remember they only come every 4 years. Some first grade careers don't last that long.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

D0DD0BD7-D94B-4027-9DBD-6841518CA179.jpeg

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It’s a World Cup … putting that up against an impact to NRL clubs preseason is just utterly laughable as an argument . 

It's so nonsensical that it makes it impossible to reason with people that think it's a valid excuse.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, RP London said:

and yet the facts are that our rates of infection are falling 

People keep saying this but we don't have the rates post "Freedom Day" - one would expect them to go back up at least briefly before falling again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Look, there is a problem with Australia and New Zealand not competing or otherwise there wouldn’t be such a huge furore about them not being in it.

The furore is not about them not competing, per se.

It's about the betrayal of entering and then withdrawing at short notice, after arrangements have been made.

It's more akin to your star player saying he'll turn up on Saturday and then you find he's gone to the pub with his girlfriend.

It's about honour - something the Aussies don't seem to understand.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

33 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

As the saying goes - speak up now boys or forever hold your peace.

About 6 minutes & 30 seconds into this interview the interviewer finally gets around to asking Kikau about his thoughts on participating in the WC.

Talks a lot about loving to play for Fiji  and he`s available any time but then mentions Cleary(coach) saying he doesn`t want them to go and a lot of evasive stuff about effects on his family etc. etc.

It looks very much to me like they`ve been got to and will tow the line, and this is from a bloke, given his age, who will never get another chance again. He does sound disappointed but also resigned.

I sat the whole way through this interminable piece because being on the NRL website I was intrigued to see what he would say, and you don`t get a much bigger star player than Viliame, I should have known.

NRL 2021: Viliame Kikau talks GF rematch, Cleary return and World Cup on Inside The NRL - NRL

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This so called risk to the players…… does anyone know of any player that has become seriously ill or lost their life due to covid? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

People keep saying this but we don't have the rates post "Freedom Day" - one would expect them to go back up at least briefly before falling again.

Yes, every country that opens up will see a spike. Our trajectory is nicely down so any spike is hopefully an anomaly.. but they are taking a point in time look at the simple numbers (well theyre not but thats what they are using as an excuse) so why not take that snap shot now when it is lower etc

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

I no longer think Oz/NZ changing their minds is the perfect solution.  I think the indigenous teams joining, alongside all the other NRL players who wish to represent their teams with pride, together with a bucket of shame for Oz/NZ is now the perfect solution.

Yep the odd report about indigineous teams has really got some of the NRL stooges rattled 

Would love them to send teams and it to be a humdinger. England 21-indigenous Australian 20 in a packed final anyone? 

Gus would have a stroke 😁