Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

21 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

It won't happen. Too much money at stake for the ECB. Mind you i would love to see the Aussies reaction if we did pull out

Not so sure about that - costs are born by the Host nation and remember No UK Pay TV company has signed up for this yet. Postponement may be the best option.

It is with trepidation that I post the following link - Posters should take a chill pill before tapping keyboards

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/26/all-blacks-us-eagles-washington-nfl-stadium-october-ireland-vegas-rugby-world-cup

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

need to get rugby am back on the  screen- wayne godwins special interview with new wc mascot - scardey - the yellow kangaroo - etc

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 2

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Is the  World Cup still going to be played?

We should start a thread on it. I reckon people would be interested. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

48 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

It won't happen. Too much money at stake for the ECB. Mind you i would love to see the Aussies reaction if we did pull out

Ironically it's the opposite reason they've gone with - too much protection and bubbles. At least in this case it's the players who are making the running so far, not the administrators.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

38 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Not so sure about that - costs are born by the Host nation and remember No UK Pay TV company has signed up for this yet. Postponement may be the best option.

It is with trepidation that I post the following link - Posters should take a chill pill before tapping keyboards

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/26/all-blacks-us-eagles-washington-nfl-stadium-october-ireland-vegas-rugby-world-cup

If anyone has got them couple of Bampots, Gould and V'landys email addresss they need to be sent this

Edited by lucky 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Gus Gould on Channel 9. The other panelists - including Paul Gallen - weren’t buying his BS either. His side seems to be losing the argument in Australia itself, which is encouraging.

Gould either doesn't get it or refuses to listen.

Don't force players to go play, don't force then to stay at home. Give then a choice. 

That way, players can go if they want and fulfil an ambition of representing their country in a World Cup. To just say it is not in their interest and make the decision for them is draconian and authoritarian.

He is bullying the panel here as well.  

• Like 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As the ARLC and NZRL, they would have only had to consult with players eligible and in contention for selection, so why only consult a few? There can’t be more than 30 or so to have consulted.

The decision on whether Tongan, Samoan or Fijian players go lies with their governing bodies. 

The right questions still need to be asked in Australia.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Gould either doesn't get it or refuses to listen.

Don't force players to go play, don't force then to stay at home. Give then a choice. 

That way, players can go if they want and fulfil an ambition of representing their country in a World Cup. To just say it is not in their interest and make the decision for them is draconian and authoritarian.

He is bullying the panel here as well.  What an absolute pot of toss.

That’s what Gould and Vlandys are though - old school bullies

9 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Just caught the back end of an interview on Fox Sports.  Steve Roach was asked about the issue.  Part of his reply was ‘The Aussie players after returning HAVE to take eight weeks rest.  This PLUS the two weeks isolation upon return impacts upon the pre-season of their clubs’.

Surely a compromise would be to include the two week isolation as part of the eight week break before pre-season.

By the way Steve Roach said he would be on the plane if he was still playing.

1/  The Aussie players after returning HAVE to take eight weeks rest.  This PLUS the two weeks isolation upon return impacts upon the pre-season of their clubs’.

Again, this will involve ONLY about the 50-odd players/squad members of the two teams that make the final … everyone else comes home as their team is eliminated.

2/ Surely a compromise would be to include the two week isolation as part of the eight week break before pre-season.

I've seen the RLP{A rep already state his players are prepared to compromise in this way.

3/ By the way Steve Roach said he would be on the plane if he was still playing.

Yes … but V'landys would not give him that choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Southerner said:

This so called risk to the players…… does anyone know of any player that has become seriously ill or lost their life due to covid? 

V'landys wasn't concerned about the COVID risk to players when the NRL re-started in May 2020 as the pandemic raged and there was no vaccine!!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Those who control the flow of information, control the world. By the time the players realise, it'll be way too late.

Rocket?, RP? Scubby? What can we do, to keep getting this message, (that the ARLC are being utterly dishonest and deceitful and grossly exceeding their authority), out into the public domain in Australia and New Zealand?

The press are virtually silent on the subject, certainly not unbiased.

Can't the AFL be provoked into voicing this kind of criticism? 

I have been emailing the Rugby League Players’ Association and politely pointing out the inconsistencies of Vlandys' position, how they weren't consulted etc

Please do so as well if you can:

enquiries@rlpa.com.au

ALSO if anyone is on twitter (I am not), contact players directly and point out the truth to the players.

They are being had !

Thanks !

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

That’s what Gould and Vlandys are though - old school bullies

Peter Sterling was chairing a panel on the same subject and while they didn’t all agree, it was a civilised discussion. In this one Gus effectively talked the others down.

If the players were adequately consulted, I find it strange that the Australian captain and senior player (Chery-Evans) wasn’t. Also the player’s association likewise seemingly not in the loop. Gus must know that. 

Edited by RayCee
  • Like 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 hours ago, Phil said:

What comes, in my opinion is that the NH game is effectively bankrupt and that the NRL come in to “save” us at a massively knocked down price and use us as a nursery 

Quite possible.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

He has already been in the press commenting on end of season internationals.

Mal Meninga has already come out with his usual brain farts (and basically not attacking the ARLC/V'landys decision), as can be seen here:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-kiwis-call-for-year-ending-tests-despite-world-cup-boycott-20210723-p58cb3.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Gus Gould on Channel 9. The other panelists - including Paul Gallen - weren’t buying his BS either. His side seems to be losing the argument in Australia itself, which is encouraging.

"I don't think the players really want to go"

Phil "the Mindreader" Gould

Utterly disgusting and bullying behaviour

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Mal Meninga has already come out with his usual brain farts (and basically not attacking the ARLC/V'landys decision), as can be seen here:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-kiwis-call-for-year-ending-tests-despite-world-cup-boycott-20210723-p58cb3.html

Meninga isn't saying anything against V'landys as he likely wants to keep his job, same with Maguire. That guy seems to have a lot of people scared of him in Australian and New Zealand RL.

4 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Decision Wednesday evening by the WC organisers apparently, plus indigenous Aus/NZ discussions undeway:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/world-cup-organisers-set-d-21149964

Go for it I say.

Reading that, it looks like the UK government will make the final call now.

I wonder if those UK bureaucrats in Whitehall realise my 46-year love affair with RL depends on their decision !!

• Like 3