Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Beattie’s quote is interesting up to a point (and only up to a point). I have seen or heard nothing at all to suggest that the World Cup can be postponed without major trauma being caused to the game. If he believes this is “common sense” then either he is an idiot, he is lying or he should be able to frame a proposal for how that postponement could be achieved. It is one thing to pull his own team out, but it is something else entirely to demand that the whole show be shifted. 

It is progress to get at least a quote from him. I guarantee that, had the players and Pacific caved by now, we would not have heard a peep. Troy Grant has played a legendary hand on this so far. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

I for one can’t stand the emotional rollercoaster that is this thread! A high as Tonga player says he’s playing, back down as ‘not good’ what someone is hearing, Pacific meeting but no comments is a good/bad thing.

The only certainty is that Gould will continue to be an unspeakable swear word!

It’s the hope that kills you eh 😉

A week on and we still have some hope. It could have been all over by now. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Thanks for that Rocket. Can't help but feel the ARLC decision has been made in isolation; if it wasn't, they'd understand (and hopefully) appreciate a big competition in England at the same time of year as the FIFA World Cup is an absolute non-starter. That renegotiating access to football stadia with the clubs, Premier League and Football League is a massive task and will cost a fortune. That the UK Government are no doubt placing great pressure on the organisational committee to go ahead with the event as the UK opens up. But as importantly, much needed funds to the IRL to continue to develop the sport globally is paramount.

I am not sure pressure is the right word. The Government are doing all they can to make sure a competition can go ahead, and are prepared to pay more for that to happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think (on balance) we will have a World Cup, and that it may well include an Indigenous team. And if it does go ahead, I think it will be a fantastic success. The UK Government’s response has been superb - not just holding the line but directly supportive. It can’t do any harm that we are already emerging from our exit wave, and that even gloomsters on SAGE are being optimistic in public. 

By now, Vlandys and Gould expected the whole thing to have folded, but they have under estimated their ability to dictate to the world. You cannot over state the significance of Tonga’s staying on board. With PNG solid, that may well be enough for all of the Pacific Nations to hold the line. The ARL and NRL have also effectively treated the Pacific Nations with complete contempt, as well as the NH and the rest of the world, and that looks to have failed. It is one thing announcing that they’re not going, and everyone caving in, but to prevent this taking place may well require them to effectively force players not to go who could play for other countries. If there is one thing that could unite the Pacific nations it would be being dictated to in that way. 

This has not panned out as they expected, and there is a lot still to play for. Choosing Gould as the ambassador to make their case is something of a godsend to us, as he is so obviously a fool. 

It's also given the WC lots of publicity. I imagine there will be a lot of nationwide media coverage when the official WC announcement is given. If they announce its still happening then the WC organisers should be able to use all the publicity to sell lots of tickets

• Like 5

Good article on the BBC from the players’ union. It is worth bearing in mind that the NRL has attempted to dictate to not just the Pacific Nations but also the RLPA.
Both of those bodies have more power now than in the past, and their interests are not directly aligned at all. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 3

Postponement Is a complete furphy, there is no way it can be postponed for 12 months and the ARLC can just as easily pull out next year, V’landys is absolutely not to be trusted !!!

Agreed Grant has been brilliant 

Reading between the lines, and making a bit of a guess, perhaps now the organisers are trying to get confirmation from enough players to ensure the event can go ahead, and perhaps even asking indigenous and Maori players For their interest and commitment.

Yes I’d say the whole tournament is a knife edge but let’s hope the players save it for us, and for the game of rugby league!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It is progress to get at least a quote from him. I guarantee that, had the players and Pacific caved by now, we would not have heard a peep. Troy Grant has played a legendary hand on this so far

I think the fact that they are wheeling Beattie out means they are feeling the pressure. 

Can`t underestimate the importance of Jason Taumololo speaking out as well, lot of the young blokes will listen to him and with Grant publicly pushing back like he is, will be causing no end of discomfort.

BTW. the comments section attached to the article I posted was full of scathing comments about the NRL`s stance and that`s from Australians !

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Lost track of the thread so I`m not sure if I am repeating something already said here.

Beattie: Wayne and I did everything we could to get Australia to the World Cup (theaustralian.com.au)

ARLC Commisioner Peter Beattie speaking :

Now, having made the difficult decision to withdraw the Kangaroos from the Cup, he has appealed for everyone to take a breath and allow common sense to prevail by postponing the tournament for 12 months.

So they only want to postpone it, or so they say, it`s tough when you can`t believe what people say.

Continuing from the article, this I thought sounds promising.

"It is understood World Players Union has now got involved in the spat as officials scramble to plot the path forward."

Grant sounding like he`s gone rogue and is not doing what the NRL would have wanted him to do. Continues to fight the good fight.

“Clarity is now being sought from the players to ensure their wishes are understood and all the information they require to make an informed decision is provided,” IRL chair Troy Grant said.

Beattie pushes back:

Beattie insists the only answer is to postpone the event.

World Players Association is not a body I`ve heard of, but if they`re involved and making life uncomfortable for those trying to stop players participating more strength to them.

Never heard of a World Players Union, I think that's an error.

However, this has just come out from Christian Welch who is a RLPA director, they sound pretty cheesed off by the decision:

Rugby League World Cup: Players' union criticises Australia and New Zealand withdrawal - BBC Sport

• Like 4

On 23/07/2021 at 08:41, Sports Prophet said:

Not yet I don’t… where does the RLPA statement say they were not consulted by the ARLC???

Nowhere. Just says that “a number of players” (flimsy comment at best) views were “not enough to prevent this decision”.

If anything, that says they were consulted.

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

However, this has just come out from Christian Welch who is a RLPA director, they sound pretty cheesed off by the decision:

Rugby League World Cup: Players' union criticises Australia and New Zealand withdrawal - BBC Sport

So, how about that bet @Sports Prophet.....

To help you I`ll even highlight the part that you should really really concentrate on...

"We had an RLPA board meeting the day before it was announced and the players were caught off guard as 24 hours later we were told the Kiwis and Australians had pulled out.

"The major reason given was player welfare but the body that represents the majority of players was not consulted."

Edited by dkw

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

We are getting some serious momentum.

• Like 3

One positive for me out of all this is that many Australians do care about the international game and want to see it thrive. The likes of Rocket and Jim on here have shown how much they care and there are masses of comments on social media showing people don't agree with what has happened. The majority do have the games best interests at heart, its just those in the positions of power don't give a damn.

It is though pretty alarming how much disconnect there seems to be generally between those that run the game and fans and players. I also include the UK in this.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Beattie’s quote is interesting up to a point (and only up to a point). I have seen or heard nothing at all to suggest that the World Cup can be postponed without major trauma being caused to the game. If he believes this is “common sense” then either he is an idiot, he is lying or he should be able to frame a proposal for how that postponement could be achieved. It is one thing to pull his own team out, but it is something else entirely to demand that the whole show be shifted. 

It is progress to get at least a quote from him. I guarantee that, had the players and Pacific caved by now, we would not have heard a peep. Troy Grant has played a legendary hand on this so far. 

I agree regarding Troy Grant, when he was appointed I thought "oh, another NRL stooge", but it looks like I was completely wrong about him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

If I buy a goldfish at the fair I’ll call it Taumalolo . I’ll buy it a little Tonga top to swim in 

You will have a job on getting it's name across the back of the shirt😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whippet13 said:

I agree regarding Troy Grant, when he was appointed I thought "oh, another NRL stooge", but it looks like I was completely wrong about him.

I think he was and all his initial comments back that up. However what the NRL have done has gone way beyond what even a stooge could put up with and they blindsided him too. They have basically sabotaged the IRL's primary asset and even put Grants position under threat. Without income from the World Cup I presume the IRL wouldn't even have funding to continue.

Also I don't think we can underestimate the amount of work and pressure from the RLWC organisers and the UK Government with their funding. This is much bigger than just Grant and the IRL.

• Like 1

How different would the situation be for Aus and NZ in 12 months time? Assuming we could postpone the exact same needs to isolate could be in place for them next year 

The UK are much further ahead with vaccines etc. Will they then feel safe to travel? I'm not sure we can take their word anymore 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The World Cup organisers need to put the pressure back on Australia and New Zealand. The next announcement should be that the World Cup is going ahead, with the 2 sides given until August 6th (end of next week) to re-enter the tournament before they are replaced with other sides. 

The pressure is on Aus and NZ, the players are not backing them and the other PI nations are currently still all on board. That's why they keep wheeling out the increasingly ineffective Gould and now Beattie after days of silence.

Nobody else at the ARL is sticking their head above the parapet and there is complete silence from NZ, where Greg Peters has simply vanished as far as I can see. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

How different would the situation be for Aus and NZ in 12 months time? Assuming we could postpone the exact same needs to isolate could be in place for them next year 

The UK are much further ahead with vaccines etc. Will they then feel safe to travel? I'm not sure we can take their word anymore 

No postponement and if any plans had been drafted for next year involving Australia or NZ I’d scrap them now or very soon if I were England. I believe NZ were due to tour UK, I’d replace that with a Euro Cup and inviting one or two of the Pacific nations to tour instead, assuming they stay on board for the World Cup.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

good on him

Find it interesting that this article is on the Fox League site. After the James Graham article mysteriously disappeared, I do wonder if they are now hedging their bets with how this is going to play out.

Even if Vlandis changes his mind for one that works and Aus does come and does instruct NZ to come too, the problem remains. Its a crude and naked power grab for world rugby league, with the witless Gould a mere entertaining diversion. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

Gould is a total 100% goose

Gould is so full of s hit that occasionally like a geyser it bubbles up and froths out of him, his lack of knowledge about NH RL has surfaced before. On this subject the more he talks the more harm he does to their case.

• Like 3

Just now, Szymala said:

I hope Annastacia's Queensland Government throw them out and curtail the entire NRL competition.

How sweet an irony would that be ?

To be fair it's a minor breach and harsh to do that based on a player with known mental health issues. As others have said though, it makes a mockery of the NRL "player welfare" argument nonsense that they have put him in this position.