Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Even if Vlandis changes his mind for one that works and Aus does come and does instruct NZ to come too, the problem remains. Its a crude and naked power grab for world rugby league, with the witless Gould a mere entertaining diversion. 

Let`s cross one bridge at a time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Even if Vlandis changes his mind for one that works and Aus does come and does instruct NZ to come too, the problem remains. Its a crude and naked power grab for world rugby league, with the witless Gould a mere entertaining diversion. 

Yes, but they have completely blown the element of surprise and no-one is going to trust them now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Of course. But the IRL and the wider community (incl the players) will have held their nerve and made them back down. That's the best case scenario. Next best is we go ahead without them. Worst case is they get their way and the tournament is either postponed or cancelled.

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I agree regarding Troy Grant, when he was appointed I thought "oh, another NRL stooge", but it looks like I was completely wrong about him.

Yes, he’s actually from a very Conservative political party in Australia, a party Full of climate deniers etc, but I actually thought he wasn’t a bad politician. He actually always seemed to be a very decent man

I have been extremely impressed with what he’s done to try to save the World Cup, and I was also very impressed with his plans for the World Cup in France in 2025

I was gutted when Covid meant  I couldn’t come to see the World Cup in the UK in 2021, that was going to be a once in a lifetime experience for me, and now I am so looking forward to France in 2025, but of course this event is now under serious threat thanks for the shocking actions of V’landys 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Never heard of a World Players Union, I think that's an error.

However, this has just come out from Christian Welch who is a RLPA director, they sound pretty cheesed off by the decision:

Rugby League World Cup: Players' union criticises Australia and New Zealand withdrawal - BBC Sport

The doyen of rugby league pundits in Australia Roy Masters words here a few weeks back on Christain Welch.

« Queensland and Storm prop Christian Welch

Welch has consistently been doing the self sacrificial tasks judged important by coaches.

He is a graduate in commerce; studied at Harvard; does not have a manager; is a director of the RLPA and reads the political pages of the newspapers

Most would say this excludes him from the front-rowers’ union because props have traditionally been viewed as the least intelligent members of an NRL team, akin to fast bowlers in cricket »

Good to have him on board

Edited by audois
  • Like 3

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Jason Taumalolo's support was always going to be crucial. And, whatever happens now, the great man did not disappoint.

A modern-day Messenger without a doubt. He's God's gift to Tongan and international rugby league.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

No postponement and if any plans had been drafted for next year involving Australia or NZ I’d scrap them now or very soon if I were England. I believe NZ were due to tour UK, I’d replace that with a Euro Cup and inviting one or two of the Pacific nations to tour instead, assuming they stay on board for the World Cup.

I completely agree. There should certainly be no NZ tour, as I have previously said I'm sick of them being the default option anyway.

Get Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG across for a 6 nations with France. Reward all the PI countries and split profits. Get it organised and sell and promote tickets during the RLWC. Play France games in France to help them build for the 2025 World Cup.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 8

I'd love it if some of the Australian players started declaring for other nations so they could play in the WC.

The Trobojevic brothers could declare for Serbia, if they take one of the vacated spots, Tedesco for Italy, Moses for Lebanon plus the PI heritage players who qualify.

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

I'd love it if some of the Australian players started declaring for other nations so they could play in the WC.

The Trobojevic brothers could declare for Serbia, if they take one of the vacated spots, Tedesco for Italy, Moses for Lebanon plus the PI heritage players who qualify.

Yes and if that happens, and regular Australian players can’t play in the tournament, there will be some very very angry players around

1 minute ago, Jim from Oz said:

Yes and if that happens, and regular Australian players can’t play in the tournament, there will be some very very angry players around

I agree and feel for the players. My preferred option would be a u turn by Australia and NZ so that everyone gets the chance to play. Unfortunately I dont think that will happen so this would be the next best option

If the players get their way Australia and New Zealand (Or even replacement teams come from down under) along with ALL the other countries coming from there we must make sure that they have a FANS standing ovation at each match no matter who one supports.

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I completely agree. There should certainly be no NZ tour, as I have previously said I'm sick of them being the default option anyway.

Get Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG across for a 6 nations with France. Reward all the PI countries and split profits. Get it organised and sell and promote tickets during them during the RLWC. Play France games in France to help them build for the 2025 World Cup.

I’d have some of that,it would be like a breath of fresh air to the sport.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Szymala said:

Jason Taumalolo's support was always going to be crucial. And, whatever happens now, the great man did not disappoint.

A modern-day Messenger without a doubt. He's God's gift to Tongan and international rugby league.

Love Big Jason - I get the feeling that if he makes the call all of the Tongan players will respond, and they're a bloomin great team.

You get the sense that the Pacific Islanders recognise the honour of playing for their country more than most. A couple of texts to Samoa and Fiji and the planes will be full.

I double dare Gus to tell them that they shouldn't be playing for their countries.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

What happened to the NZ guy giving all the reasons why the kiwis couldn't go - did Roger TWS steal his thunder on Sunday & he's run out of excuses now.

He's literally disappeared. Every excuse he came out with could easily be disproven.

2 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

What happened to the NZ guy giving all the reasons why the kiwis couldn't go - did Roger TWS steal his thunder on Sunday & he's run out of excuses now.

He realised he was right in the firing line and a potential fall guy if things go wrong for the ARL/NZRL over this so ducked back out of sight clutching his 30 pieces of silver.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

Resting

Having V’Landys hand that far up ones arris is bound to take its toll.

• Haha 3

If anyone's looking to use some social media hacking, it looks like it will be Great Britain v Australia in the quarter finals of the women's football.

This is drawing really big numbers in Oz and generating a fair amount of social media comments.

My suggestion would be to *politely* use whatever hashtags the Matildas and others use to show that some Australian teams are braver, more international and more worthy than others.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Get Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG across for a 6 nations with France. Reward all the PI countries and split profits. Get it organised and sell and promote tickets during them during the RLWC. Play France games in France to help them build for the 2025 World Cup.

I’d love to see England really go for it and show what can be done without Aus & NZ. Games against Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG, Cook Islands, Jamaica, France, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy should all be in the mix and hopefully 5-6 games a year including mid-season and post season. In particular I think England & France should be coming together to create a regular 2 or 3 game series that will hopefully one day be a great rivalry, the key is persistence and what better time to start with France hopefully hosting the 25 World Cup.

I also hope the fans can show this year and next that they’ll back these types of games too, even if England beat Wales by 80 it shouldn’t matter. Support Internationals by supporting England whoever they may play because it may be a while before the traditional opponents are seen in the Northern Hemisphere again after this debacle. No more LSV on a Tuesday, 20-25k grounds should be the minimum for an England test no matter the opponent.

I wouldn’t exactly say it’s a blessing in disguise but at least it’s on the table now and England can go forward with different plans then just Aus/NZ tours every other year. If handled well it could lead to bigger and better things in the medium-long term, the status quo has been broken and I personally think it was getting stale anyway.

Edited by jim_57
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Beattie’s quote is interesting up to a point (and only up to a point). I have seen or heard nothing at all to suggest that the World Cup can be postponed without major trauma being caused to the game. If he believes this is “common sense” then either he is an idiot, he is lying or he should be able to frame a proposal for how that postponement could be achieved. It is one thing to pull his own team out, but it is something else entirely to demand that the whole show be shifted. 

It is progress to get at least a quote from him. I guarantee that, had the players and Pacific caved by now, we would not have heard a peep. Troy Grant has played a legendary hand on this so far. 

The way a postponement is talked about its as if they think moving the Olympics was a piece of cake.. forgetting that it meant re arranging athletics world championships and re awarding the next 2 or 3 to cities and moving them around at, what I assume, was great expense especially the ones that should have been this year.. other sports will have had to do similar. 

But you do it because its the Olympics which, pretty much, beats everything else. It funds so much sport, its where sports funding from governments come from. You do everything to get Olympics on... other sports shift themselves to make way.

That is not the same for an rlwc ffs.. the premier league, fifa World Cup etc couldn't give a stuff and won't move without incentive which will be extra cost.. 

Those thinking it would be easy are wrong, that's why this decision is taking so long.. the govt will help no doubt (if they have to) but its not going to be easy and will need the govt to stump up more cash. Why do that when you've already bent over backwards to make it work NOW, and you want to prove to the world you are open for business and safe? You don't...

I hope to god we don't cave.. go ahead, give the aussies and nz one more chance to back track but then open it up to new nations. 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Matterhorn said:

Good on Jason

His decision to defect to Tonga before the last world cup lit the spark that started the resurgence in the Pacific Nations.

Just need more to become public now

OH No No No!

According to Gould the NRL are solely responsible for the PI Nations development!

Love this bit from the BBC article.... pretty much says it all really and maybe Phil (almighty windbag) Gould would like to have a chat with Christian Welch and get his facts straight 

"The most telling thing is how the NRL was able to come back from Covid and found an amazing way of state border exemptions but it seems the NRL have just wanted to quit on the World Cup," added Welch.

• Like 2

I want the World Cup to proceed now more than anything. The attitude of the NRL, V'landys and people like Gould over the last week has convinced me that you cannot appease these people and attempts to do so will be disastrous for the game in the long run

I would be gutted if its postponed. Taumalolo's support is huge, to the extent that I think it could get all PI nations on board. We certainly need to make it worthwhile for them to say yes. If they are on board then the World Cup simply has to proceed this year and if it does it will be great. 

• Like 6