Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the NRL genuinely thought they could make the whole thing suddenly disappear by stamping their feet. That is why the bullied NZ into the announcement with them.

It’s NZ I’m more disappointed with. The Aussies are just being Aussies

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Damien said:

I completely agree. There should certainly be no NZ tour, as I have previously said I'm sick of them being the default option anyway.

Get Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and PNG across for a 6 nations with France. Reward all the PI countries and split profits. Get it organised and sell and promote tickets during the RLWC. Play France games in France to help them build for the 2025 World Cup.

Has anything been formally announced by the IRL in terms of the 2022-24 window?

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Prospect of development funding and the 18th NRL franchise - carrots/threats to buy their support.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I think it's clear that the Aussies thought that NZ support would be enough to scupper the entire thing. Their arrogance blinded them and they think they are Rugby League. That is why they didn't consult anyone and didn't try to get the PI nations on board too. It shows what they really think about those other nations and the contempt they hold them in. I think the NZ's conditional acceptance the week before spooked them to up their game and turn the thumb screws a little more. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Prospect of development funding and the 18th NRL franchise - carrots/threats to buy their support.

I understand NZRL's need to toe the line. They are effectively on a par with QRL and NSWRL underneath the ARLC. Too much on the line for them to go against their decisions.

The others aren't given enough to follow suit.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Chris Hill's contribution:

Rugby League World Cup should be postponed, says England man | Warrington Guardian

I can see the Australian press headlines now: England star calls for WC postponement! Assuming his comments are not being taken out of context here, then he clearly hasn't got a clue about the game of brinkmanship currently underway. If anyone ever plays him at poker just bluff every hand, you'll win an absolute fortune.

5 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Rugby League World Cup should be postponed, says England man | Warrington Guardian

I can see the Australian press headlines now: England star calls for WC postponement! Assuming his comments are not being taken out of context here, then he clearly hasn't got a clue about the game of brinkmanship currently underway. If anyone ever plays him at poker just bluff every hand, you'll win an absolute fortune.

Disappointing but players are entitled to a opinion. We are obsessed with the Aussies over here; utterly obsessed and you hear that in Hill's words (and McGilvary the other night). We need to break that obsession as a sport and country.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I don't think Hill does critical analysis. He seems to just repeating everything the NRL has said.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Matterhorn said:

What happened to the NZ guy giving all the reasons why the kiwis couldn't go - did Roger TWS steal his thunder on Sunday & he's run out of excuses now.

58 minutes ago, Damien said:

He's literally disappeared. Every excuse he came out with could easily be disproven.

57 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

He realised he was right in the firing line and a potential fall guy if things go wrong for the ARL/NZRL over this so ducked back out of sight clutching his 30 pieces of silver.

56 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Resting

Having V’Landys hand that far up ones arris is bound to take its toll.

He's on Twitter - feel free to question him @GPRUGBYCEO 

23 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Well, I have no problems with Hill having an opinion and voicing it.

If the voices of the Kangaroo and Kiwi players had been heard before the decision was made for them and taken completely out of their hands then we wouldn't be in the position we are now.

Even today, it is absolutely clear that Australia and New Zealand could field very strong teams with players not just happy to travel but statin their ambition to play in the tournament.

Of course, that is assuming that the player welfare issue was actually the reason for these two pulling out which it is clearly wasn't.

• Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, dkw said:

So, how about that bet @Sports Prophet.....

To help you I`ll even highlight the part that you should really really concentrate on...

"We had an RLPA board meeting the day before it was announced and the players were caught off guard as 24 hours later we were told the Kiwis and Australians had pulled out.

"The major reason given was player welfare but the body that represents the majority of players was not consulted."

It sounds pretty compelling and in your favour from the RLPU side. Keen to hear a bit more on the subject from the ARLC and NZRL before I concede.

I liked another member’s suggestion that gives the ARLC and NZRL until the end of next week to overturn their decision.

Pressure will be mounting on both the ARLC and the NZRL who will not be keen to see players go and represent other Pacific nations. There will be a few that qualify for European teams too. To save face, I would hazard a guess that the other Pacific nations especially are coming under all sorts of pressure to withdraw to help the ARLC save face.

I saw a quote from PVL saying he expects that Indigenous and Maori teams will not proceed once they know the risk. This may also back your point @dkw, or actually he may be convinced that once the players know further the risk of being injured/sick, whilst representing a non-governed team and the potential lack of insurance cover.

Hope the organisers keep up the pressure and are rallying around Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG and Cook Islands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I saw a quote from PVL saying he expects that Indigenous and Maori teams will not proceed once they know the risk. This may also back your point @dkw, or actually he may be convinced that once the players know further the risk of being injured/sick, whilst representing a non-governed team and the potential lack of insurance cover.

Hope the organisers keep up the pressure and are rallying around Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG and Cook Islands.

Ah, you mean of course the risk of never getting selected for a Kangaroo or Origin rep game again!

Insurance hasn't been raised by the ARL/NZRL so these are probably covered by the IRL/World Cup or existing policy T&Cs as the WC is a sanctioned event with teams approved by them as the recognised governing body. A rebel Aus v NZ series this autumn possibly would raise insurance issues however as it would be unsanctioned by the IRL.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Even if Vlandis changes his mind for one that works and Aus does come and does instruct NZ to come too, the problem remains. Its a crude and naked power grab for world rugby league, with the witless Gould a mere entertaining diversion. 

It is, and it will be interesting to see how this will play out. I'd love them to stand firm and deliver an excellent world cup without them. They are being made to look like idiots at the moment, but if we just fold and postpone, they will be proven right and will get their way, and ultimately demonstrate where the power lies. 

If we hold firm, this could be a similar look to the European football teams and the Super League power grab attempt. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Disappointing but players are entitled to a opinion. We are obsessed with the Aussies over here; utterly obsessed and you hear that in Hill's words (and McGilvary the other night). We need to break that obsession as a sport and country.

Spot on. Players aren't always the best people to give views on complex things like this - Hill is purely talking about on-field stuff, he has no idea about logistics. 

But it isn't a great look for him, McGillvary and Maloney to be publicly supporting postponement. Id rather we had a joined up message here, but I suppose we can't gag people. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Spot on. Players aren't always the best people to give views on complex things like this - Hill is purely talking about on-field stuff, he has no idea about logistics. 

But it isn't a great look for him, McGillvary and Maloney to be publicly supporting postponement. Id rather we had a joined up message here, but I suppose we can't gag people. 

Perhaps Hill has done his own cost benefit analysis? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, welshmagpie said:

Gareth Walker reckons no decision until Monday 

It was supposed to be tomorrow night.  

I hope the RLWC are onto every country with non stop encouragements to bring a team.  With luck, the covid rates will drop a lot more (they have to really to instill a bit more confidence) and they will commit.  Tonga and Samoa have a real shot at the trophy imo.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We can have Victor Radley. Can warm the bench.

The vast majority want to and would come , I feel for them really . As for Victor , I thought about him when this broke but I didn’t post it as everyone was getting along …

• Haha 1