Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

The vast majority want to and would come , I feel for them really . As for Victor , I thought about him when this broke but I didn’t post it as everyone was getting along …

We should get at him honestly 😄 He has played Origin already so they can't stop him doing that and he has an England tattoo!

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The vast majority want to and would come , I feel for them really . As for Victor , I thought about him when this broke but I didn’t post it as everyone was getting along …

Why stop there? Let's get our hands on Sam Walker too. Hell I'll take the Morris twins too, even the crocked one

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Maybe the only down side of just indigenous sides is it will exclude some guys who want to come. 

The indigenous teams should absolutely come imo.  They would be genuine teams of their country not a gerrymandered team masquerading as Australia.  I have no strong views though.  

• Like 2

Just now, Lowdesert said:

The indigenous teams should absolutely come imo.  They would be genuine teams of their country not a gerrymandered team masquerading as Australia.  I have no strong views though.  

If anything it would open up important discussions on Australia and NZ - the BBC and broadsheets will love it. I'm sure the governments in Aus/NZ will love it too and will thank Peter V'landys and the ARLC personally for his stance on the Kangaroos participation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

If anything it would open up important discussions on Australia and NZ - the BBC and broadsheets will love it. I'm sure the governments in Aus/NZ will love it too and will thank Peter V'landys and the ARLC personally for his stance on the Kangaroos participation.

I was about to post something similar... can you imagine the commotion caused by the RLWC stating the Indigenous nations are the true nations within Australia and New Zealand?! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I was about to post something similar... can you imagine the commotion caused by the RLWC stating the Indigenous nations are the true nations within Australia and New Zealand?! 

Now that has to happen if they do come, it would be amazing and would get some massive headlines.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The indigenous teams are the genuine teams. Their lands were stolen by a bunch of convicts 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

2 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

The indigenous teams are the genuine teams. Their lands were stolen by a bunch of convicts 😉

They are a genuine team in their own right as are the Maoris.  

Might just be the right time to step out of Australia’s shadow.  Playing for their nation, representing their forefathers, showcasing their culture.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

They are a genuine team in their own right as are the Maoris.  

Might just be the right time to step out of Australia’s shadow.  Playing for their nation, representing their forefathers, showcasing their culture.

Those teams along with the Pacific Island teams , and all the cultural attachments , would be really something . The sport could make a lot of that and turn a negative into a big positive 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

That would have the politicians from both countries and from all parties onside with the RLWC, as they would see it a vote loser if they didn't get onside with it. It would certainly have the ARLC and NZRL is a very awkward position.

• Like 1

On 22/07/2021 at 08:31, Pie tries said:

I’m very disappointed, but not surprised and not certain I disagree with them.

the world is a mess, this year was never going to happen….

I now disagree with myself. The Aussies are small minded selfish idiots. This has nothing to do with covid and all to do with NRL pre season. Have the WC without them - invite the Aborigines and Maori…

• Like 8

Christian Welsh just on the BBC news saying that even though it wouldn’t have been as enjoyable as a pre pandemic World Cup given the restrictions, many players really were looking forward to playing. I don’t think the debate is over yet and there might even be a player revolt which forces the Australian and NZ authorities to rethink. As a wild card there may be ‘independent’ initiatives as in the non official Russian Russians in the Olympics in which the players somehow come irrespective of their ruling bodies. Otherwise, as most people are saying, stuff them- let’s go it alone.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Christian Welsh just on the BBC news saying that even though it wouldn’t have been as enjoyable as a pre pandemic World Cup given the restrictions, many players really were looking forward to playing. I don’t think the debate is over yet and there might even be a player revolt which forces the Australian and NZ authorities to rethink. As a wild card there may be ‘independent’ initiatives as in the non official Russian Russians in the Olympics in which the players somehow come irrespective of their ruling bodies. Otherwise, as most people are saying, stuff them- let’s go it alone.

This... it would cause a right old stink Down Under. So all for it.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

This... it would cause a right old stink Down Under. So all for it.

They could dig out the old Australia SL strip design to really ###### off Gus and his pals. 

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They could dig out the old Australia SL strip design to really ###### of Gus and his pals. 

Anything we can do to do that is fine with me

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

Who would govern those teams ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Wayne will coach them he doesn't give a sht

1 hour ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Good, I like Wayne and I think he would like upsetting them 😁👍

With Austin on the Rebel Kangaroo's wing we may even beat them! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

There is already a precedent for this in the IRL too with Tonga playing as the Tonga Invitational XIII in the last Oceania cup/GB Tour. 

As much as I like the idea of Indigenous and Maori teams, I do think the opportunity has to be there for the Aussies and Kiwis that aren't qualified for that who want to come but can't too. Perhaps if they go with invitational 13s then the kits could reflect the Maori/Indigenous aspects. Thinking top half Green and Gold vs with bottom half Indigenous design for example.

• Like 1