Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

It is amazing the amount of daily news that is coming out about the World Cup that is barely getting a mention in the main Australian and NZ media outlets. The NRL have so much power through their media partners. In countries were literally everything RL related gets reported potentially huge stories are just being completely ignored and covered up and there is no investigative journalism at all.

For once we see social media sites being a good thing though, many people will see the other side of the stories because of Twitter, facebook etc where the NRL has very little chance of stopping this news.

• Like 1

I'm now for kicking out the Aussies & Kiwis and replacing them with the Indigenous players/teams.

Edited by jacksy
  • Like 3

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

You are going to absolutely love this.😡

It is well known that there has been hesitancy about getting vaccinated over here, most probably because we haven`t had the bejesus scared out of us by high mortality rates, but don`t worry Uncle Pete is going to save Oz.

V'landys reveals NRL's big vaccination plan (theage.com.au)

Peter V'landys is hoping that the public will take the lead set by NRL players and go out to get their COVID-19 jabs

I can only hope this is a lead in to, and not a distraction from, an announcement where squads of Australia`s finest Womens, Mens and Wheel-chair Rugby League athletes will soon be heading overseas to represent our nation fully protected from any nasty foreign bugs.😉

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I thought that was a parody posted to Phil Gould's account. Amazed it's real.

Someone with good Twittwr skills needs to link him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, jacksy said:

I'm now for kicking out the Aussies & Kiwis and replacing them with the Indigenous players/teams.

That would be a disaster, and embarrassing if either were to win. Replace them with USA/Serbia. 

But one of them will bottle and we'll either postpone it (hopefully not) or Aus/NZ will change their mind. 

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

That would be a disaster, and embarrassing if either were to win. Replace them with USA/Serbia. 

But one of them will bottle and we'll either postpone it (hopefully not) or Aus/NZ will change their mind. 

Disaster and embarrassing?  I don't think so.  What would be embarrassing about a team with the likes of Ado-Carr, Lattrell Mitchell etc winning the competition?  I wouldn't be at all embarrassed.

I can see why it would be embarrassing for the ARLC though, not allowing people like Cherry-Evans a chance to win it whilst he watches some of his teammates do so.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 5

If the objective is to stop the top NRL Australian stars from going what does the possibility of Ado-Carr, Mitchell et al going under to Aboriginal jersey achieve other than make the ARLC look idiots?

If it did it would only be because the ARLC didn't want to foot any costs for match payments and other stuff. Does the Kangaroos even have any sponsor partners anymore?

8 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Disaster and embarrassing?  I don't think so.  What would be embarrassing about a team with the likes of Ado-Carr, Lattrell Mitchell etc winning the competition?  I wouldn't be at all embarrassed.

I can see why it would be embarrassing for the ARLC though, not allowing people like Cherry-Evans a chance to win it whilst he watches some of his teammates do so.

Because the WC is for countries. Having the "Indigenous All Stars" win the World Cup would make RL look amateur and open to ridicule.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If the objective is to stop the top NRL Australian stars from going what does the possibility of Ado-Carr, Mitchell et al going under to Aboriginal jersey achieve other than make the ARLC look idiots?

If it did it would only be because the ARLC didn't want to foot any costs for match payments and other stuff. Does the Kangaroos even have any sponsor partners anymore?

It's because they're afraid of losing to Tonga. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Because the WC is for countries. Having the "Indigenous All Stars" win the World Cup would make RL look amateur and open to ridicule.

I honestly don't think it would.  You would sell it as an inspiring example of player power desperate to represent their countries and heritage against the odds.

If you are worried about ridicule for that then I believe we've missed what a world cup should be about. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I don't think the indiginous teams are going to come here, with the blessing of the ARLC nor should we welcome them alone.

If they did, the outcry from the other players, who would have been selected for Australia would be heard from here and rightly so.

For me, the only way through this is with ''rebel'' unsanctioned rep teams made up of the best players who declare their desire to be in it, or two non-qualifiers (USA + A.N.Other).

We (the organisers) can't welcome the indiginous teams and condone what the ARLC have done by leaving out the other  eager players (Cherry-Evans et al) that makes us look as bad as them.

I say, unless Aus and NZ climb down and opt back in, we should quickly appoint two ''rebel'' coaches/managers and select the best invitational teams we can muster from all the willing players. Then (crucially) print up the Green and Gold and the Black and White jumpers, so they can rightly feel/claim that they are playing for their respective National teams.

If we haven't got the cojones to go that far, then bring on the USA option.

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I don't think the indiginous teams are going to come here, with the blessing of the ARLC nor should we welcome them alone.

If they did, the outcry from the other players, who would have been selected for Australia would be heard from here and rightly so.

For me, the only way through this is with ''rebel'' unsanctioned rep teams made up of the best players who declare their desire to be in it, or two non-qualifiers (USA + A.N.Other).

We (the organisers) can't welcome the indiginous teams and condone what the ARLC have done by leaving out the other  eager players (Cherry-Evans et al) that makes us look as bad as them.

I say, unless Aus and NZ climb down and opt back in, we should quickly appoint two ''rebel'' coaches/managers and select the best invitational teams we can muster from all the willing players. Then (crucially) print up the Green and Gold and the Black and White jumpers, so the can rightly feel/claim that they are playing for their respective National teams.

If Cherry Evans and the rest of the Australian lads want to enter a wider Australia invitational team I'm sure it will be considered.  Otherwise they have the ARLC to blame - we would have welcomed them all with open arms and welcoming the indigenous teams changes that not one iota.

DCE and his colleagues know exactly who to blame if they don't get to play at a WC and it certainly isn't the WC organisers.  Whether we choose the indigenous teams or USA/Serbia, the players who miss out can blame the ARLC/NZRL.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I say, unless Aus and NZ climb down and opt back in, we should quickly appoint two ''rebel'' coaches/managers and select the best invitational teams we can muster from all the willing players. Then (crucially) print up the Green and Gold and the Black and White jumpers, so the can rightly feel/claim that they are playing for their respective National teams.

And in such case the IRL should come out and recognize their matches as officially forming part of the Kangaroos' and Kiwis' international records.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Does the Kangaroos even have any sponsor partners anymore?

Yeah for the first time in ages, Gallaghers a multi-national insurance company are sponsoring the Kangaroos.

And boy aren`t they getting good value for money.

It use to be a great embarrassment for me that our national team couldn`t attract a sponsor, well we`ve got one now, they must be over the moon, they probably signed up for Pacific tests, Kangaroo tour and World Cup, and look what they`ve got, diddly.

• Like 2

At this stage, the only thing that matters is getting the World Cup on this year (or genuinely postponed with a genuine plan which everyone is happy with). 

The people least affected by the cancellation are the NRL, but there are a host of other people directly affected. The players, of course, and the women’s comp and the wheelchair comp, the RLWC, the IRL, ERL and APRL, who all rely on income from this. Every developing member nation will be harmed, every initiative across the game will be harmed. Our reputation as a sport with broadcasters and with sponsors and with host towns and communities will be destroyed. Nobody will touch us as a sport when we come selling the next European championships or World Cup. The French Government are being asked to underwrite a potentially large investment in an event which the NRL can veto on no notice for no good reason. And these are all initiatives which have been made possible by the efforts of thousands of people spending millions of hours for little, if any, reward. Many of whom will have been crushed by the NRL’s betrayal. 

VLandys and co will be pretty much completely insulated against this, and worse, wilfully oblivious. If we get the Indigenous team and the Maoris we can move forward and salvage enough to make this a celebration of our game. If we have to live with an asterisk, so be it. That is a small price to pay for the benefits of having any competition.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah for the first time in ages, Gallaghers a multi-national insurance company are sponsoring the Kangaroos.

And boy aren`t they getting good value for money.

It use to be a great embarrassment for me that our national team couldn`t attract a sponsor, well we`ve got one now, they must be over the moon, they probably signed up for Pacific tests, Kangaroo tour and World Cup, and look what they`ve got, diddly.

Over here they sponsor the RU Premiership.

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

At this stage, the only thing that matters is getting the World Cup on this year (or genuinely postponed with a genuine plan which everyone is happy with). 

The people least affected by the cancellation are the NRL, but there are a host of other people directly affected. The players, of course, and the women’s comp and the wheelchair comp, the RLWC, the IRL, ERL and APRL, who all rely on income from this. Every developing member nation will be harmed, every initiative across the game will be harmed. Our reputation as a sport with broadcasters and with sponsors and with host towns and communities will be destroyed. Nobody will touch us as a sport when we come selling the next European championships or World Cup. The French Government are being asked to underwrite a potentially large investment in an event which the NRL can veto on no notice for no good reason. And these are all initiatives which have been made possible by the efforts of thousands of people spending millions of hours for little, if any, reward. Many of whom will have been crushed by the NRL’s betrayal. 

VLandys and co will be pretty much completely insulated against this, and worse, wilfully oblivious. If we get the Indigenous team and the Maoris we can move forward and salvage enough to make this a celebration of our game. If we have to live with an asterisk, so be it. That is a small price to pay for the benefits of having any competition.

See, once people get away from Pieopolis their vision opens up and they start talking a lot of sense.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I would also much rather see two national teams (USA plus one other) than the Indigenous Aus and Maori teams. However if the Indigenous and Maori were chosen instead I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the WC still went ahead this year. They would need to be called Indigenous Australia and Maori Nation or something similar though rather than the tacky 'All Stars' moniker. That type of name is ok for a league competition affiliated exhibition game but not for an international competition. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iffleyox said:

Over here they sponsor the RU Premiership.

Yeah I remember that now, I remember at the time of the announcement I thought that was a pretty good sign, a major union sponsor showing interest in sponsoring a League team, especially since the Kangaroos were scheduled to tour your part of the world. 

I was referring to them as the Gallagher Kangaroos every time I mentioned them, mores the pity there hasn`t been many occasions to do that in the last l8 months. So Rugby League.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah I remember that now, I remember at the time of the announcement I thought that was a pretty good sign, a major union sponsor showing interest in sponsoring a League team, especially since the Kangaroos were scheduled to tour your part of the world. 

I was referring to them as the Gallagher Kangaroos every time I mentioned them, mores the pity there hasn`t been many occasions to do that in the last l8 months. So Rugby League.

I wonder if they could sue the Kangaroos if they don't compete? I'm sure the deal was signed at least partly with the World Cup in mind and a likely 6 games plus other internationals on top. No RLWC and no other games changes that somewhat and they aren't getting anything out of this sponsorship. 

• Like 3

Should we be encouraging the RLPA to take legal action against the NRL and ARLC for restraint of trade? They get paid for appearing in a world cup, so V'Landys is preventing the players from earning money and that is illegal. Similarly, they could go for the human rights angle. It is a sportsman's greatest ambition to represent his / her country at a world cup / Olympics / whatever event is the pinnacle of the sport. To prevent this could be argued to be a breach of their human rights. This would particularly be relevant to the women and wheelchair players who couldn't have a state of origin argument used against them.

• Like 1