Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

I wonder if they could sue the Kangaroos if they don't compete? I'm sure the deal was signed at least partly with the World Cup in mind and a likely 6 games plus other internationals on top. No RLWC and no other games changes that somewhat and they aren't getting anything out of this sponsorship. 

The deal was multi-year, which I liked even better, but probably not sue, maybe just let it lapse.

They do run this poxy little segment which I just became aware of 5 minutes ago, called " Kimmorley`s rolling Gallaghers Kangaroo Squad " or something, where Brett Kimmorley updates a Kangaroo squad each week according to form. I didn`t even know it existed.

It`s as laughable as Aussie rules `All-Australian ` team picked every year to conquer opponents that don`t exist, we`ve got opponents, we just don`t like to play them😂.

Edited by The Rocket
Forgot to put Gallaghers Kangaroo squad. LOL

4 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

This is interesting in that, if the indigenous and Maori teams are allowed to play, the kangaroo and New Zealand Kiwi players who are not selected miss out on the World Cup altogether!!

if this happens, if I were them I would be very very very angry at V’landys 

Doesn't that always happen ? 🤔

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

48 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

They would need to be called Indigenous Australia and Maori Nation or something similar though rather than the tacky 'All Stars' moniker. That type of name is ok for a league competition affiliated exhibition game but not for an international competition. 

I agree with that . All Stars as a name isn’t for a World Cup . Firstly though I hope there’s a way of giving all Aussies and Kiwis who want to come the opportunity to come 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

Anyone at the head of the Australian and New Zealand Rugby League should listen to this and feel ashamed of themselves. It's not about elite NRL players not being able to play in trials or start training a little late... it is about men, women and wheelchair athletes potentially having their dreams thrown away.

• Like 7

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I agree with that . All Stars as a name isn’t for a World Cup . Firstly though I hope there’s a way of giving all Aussies and Kiwis who want to come the opportunity to come 

It`s an interesting question. 

Theoretically they should be just called the `Australian ` team, because they are the original or real Australians, but if they wish, and the same for the Maori team, to be known as the Indigenous Australian Team or NZ Maori, then I suppose that would be their decision. Let`s face it, it`s the least we can do for them.

Having said that, why not just call themselves the Australian or Kiwi team and anyone who goes to see them or sees them on TV will think that those two nations are only inhabited by their Indigenous peoples or certainly the national sporting team is.

It would be such a great look to have a complete national team made up of its` original inhabitants, that could definitely generate publicity world-wide.

8 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

04F56BE0-7FB2-43DD-AD8A-55F49AB64424.jpeg.55ae86eef1fa851b14aec7a8660d1c0a.jpeg

Now is the time for decisive action to deliver the WC in 2021, it is not the time for meekness.....unless your referring to the NZRL obedient little poodle strategy of course.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s an interesting question. 

Theoretically they should be just called the `Australian ` team, because they are the original or real Australians, but if they wish, and the same for the Maori team, to be known as the Indigenous Australian Team or NZ Maori, then I suppose that would be their decision. Let`s face it, it`s the least we can do for them.

Having said that, why not just call themselves the Australian or Kiwi team and anyone who goes to see them or sees them on TV will think that those two nations are only inhabited by their Indigenous peoples or certainly the national sporting team is.

It would be such a great look to have a complete national team made up of its` original inhabitants, that could definitely generate publicity world-wide.

Since these guys are willing to heroically go up against the forces of darkness and put their NRL careers on the line then I'm happy to ask them what they want to be called and go with that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

04F56BE0-7FB2-43DD-AD8A-55F49AB64424.jpeg.55ae86eef1fa851b14aec7a8660d1c0a.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

7DF941FF-CAD8-459C-B6D8-BAED3A5301EF.jpeg.564dfdf9c2b9e13f35bacb0c4c3d7ca1.jpeg

Have to say, I am struggling to follow your train of thought here.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

If Aus & NZ don’t play does that void the BBC deal or any other advertising agreements?

Or could it at least mean a reduced deal?

I would guess this is one of the many things they are having a look at at the moment and why a decision is not so straight forward. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

Because the WC is for countries. Having the "Indigenous All Stars" win the World Cup would make RL look amateur and open to ridicule.

It'd be the Aussie and the Kiwis' fault, not RL's. 

• Like 4

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

8 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Couple of powerful statements in there...

"Correcting misinformation"

"Delivering the most secure COVID processes in line with other successful delivered UK tournaments in 2021" (in summary).

The team are in an information battle with the ARLC/NRL...

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 3

Makes me wonder if discussions with the other nations (Pacific nations) hasn't yielded the completely positive response we'd all hoped, and the decision has been deferred to the players. Hopefully a few of the key players for the various countries speak up and others will follow their lead.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I think the phrase "(The board) are also realistic about the significant challenges that threaten that ambition" suggests that talks have not been wholly positive, and at the very least they're creating a space for possible bad news. 

Feels like it could go either way to me. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I think the phrase "(The board) are also realistic about the significant challenges that threaten that ambition" suggests that talks have not been wholly positive, and at the very least they're creating a space for possible bad news. 

Feels like it could go either way to me. 

I agree , it was a 50/50 statement 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

"While the Board reiterated the determination to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup in history"

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible without Australia and New Zealand taking part in any of the three tournaments.

I think it is possible, it just makes the task much harder not having them there.

• Like 1

It's pretty realistic in they know the players have to be on board to continue. I think they would continue without Australia and NZ but obviously need guarantees around the other nations and players committing. I also think they are well aware of the games that the NRLwill play and the downright sabotage players and nations are going to face. This means they need to be 100% that everyone else is on board as they certainly can't afford more withdrawals down the line. 

16 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

"While the Board reiterated the determination to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup in history"

Unfortunately I don't think that's possible without Australia and New Zealand taking part in any of the three tournaments.

It's more than possible if the NRL don't sabotage the rest.

• Like 3