Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Slightly more info in the statement posted on the IRL website (which I've bolded):

The Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) Board today held another emergency meeting. While the Board reiterated the determination to deliver the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup in history, they are also realistic about the significant challenges that threaten that ambition.

In light of the decision by the ARLC and NZRL to withdraw from the event, the Board have instructed myself and the RLWC2021 team to continue to hold further urgent discussions with all stakeholders, particularly the players, aimed at correcting misinformation as well as measuring the sentiment on proceeding with the tournament.

The RLWC2021 Board recognise the need to bring clarity and certainty to the situation. They have also underlined the relentless work that has been taking place to establish the most safe and secure environment for all involved - in line with other world class major events that have taken place successfully in the UK in 2021.

RLWC will have these conversations as soon as possible and are currently in dialogue with:

• The UK government on a regular basis whose support has been invaluable
  • The players on the extraordinary measures we will implement to protect their wellbeing during the event
  • The competing nations to fully understand any new or developing issues that will prevent them travelling to England in October
  • The eighteen dedicated host towns and cities as well as the twenty-one world class venues that will stage RLWC2021 matches
  • The IRL on the implications of the decision made by the ARLC and NZRL and replacement teams

We place on record our sincere thanks for the understanding of the hundreds of thousands of fans who are planning to attend the tournament, as well as our loyal commercial and broadcast partners who have been so supportive during this challenging time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

This is not a good look and not very promising at all 😱

The good thing is that it is putting it all out there and embarrassing them, they could very quickly start to feel isolated with their stance on this issue.

We just need a bit more mainstream media coverage now, you know the type  "ARLC isolated on WC stance.."  type thing to get them to flip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

The good thing is that it is putting it all out there and embarrassing them, they could very quickly start to feel isolated with their stance on this issue.

We just need a bit more mainstream media coverage now, you know the type  "ARLC isolated on WC stance.."  type thing to get them to flip.

The trouble is in Australia the media seem to be doing their best to bury this.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

The media are often too close to their subjects, so to speak, so with RL journos, they need to be close to their contacts, their providers of content, so to speak …

For example, Channel Nine rely on the NRL for ratings, and the NRL rely on Nine for broadcasting $$$ … so it's a mutual relationship; they're not going to go out of their way to upset each other

This is not an excuse, just sayin'

Plus, I don't think the Aussie media quite "get" how big a story this is … most of the Australian RL media, like many Australians unfortunately, are quite insular … a factor of what happens when you're located at the ar*e-end of the world – as a former Aussie PM once put it LOL

Edited by Jim from Oz

That tweet from Simon Johnson is all wrong IMO. Those kind of things need to be conveyed in private, not on Twitter. Trying to shame those involved into reversing their decision or point of view will never work. It’s likely to have the opposite effect in fact.

• Like 3

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I don`t think bury, just not interested, I don`t think they think the story had legs, but if they smelt blood in the water, and that is what I was getting at by saying the NRL would be embarrassed by the tweet you posted, then I think definitely very quickly they would start running with it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was in Australia during the 2014 4 Nations, to me the highest quality 4N tournament there was with all four teams competitive. Samoa we’re very unlucky not to win their first two games and the standard was excellent. I went to Brisbane for the double header and was in Melbourne for the Ryan Hall finger tip stitch up.

One of the things I was looking forward to was being in a country where League was popular while a good international tournament was on so I could discuss it at work etc. 

Imagine my surprise when the prime times news, on the channel that carried the sport, reviewed the game and then said “why are they even playing? No one cares.” Co-anchor - “yeah it’s a pointless tournament,  it’s just getting in the way of the cricket”

I knew at that moment what is very evident today. They only care about origin and a bit of NRL. The sport is led by the most insular, myopic, arrogant and apathetic sporting country on the planet. I loathe them 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

To be honest I felt the same as well - I thought Australia was so significant on the world stage as a young lad. I came to the UK in 1995 and couldn't understand why we couldn't make the bbc news & before the internet there was no way of finding out what was happening back home. I then realized we were just another small country like everyone else. I think to a certain extent the NRL still thinks like i did pre-1995.

As soon as they realize there not - rugby league will forever be held back & will be remembered as the sport of What Ifs? instead of We Can? sort of attitude.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I knew at that moment what is very evident today. They only care about origin and a bit of NRL. The sport is led by the most insular, myopic, arrogant and apathetic sporting country on the planet. I loathe them 

But it wasn't always like this … that's the annoying thing !!!

International RL used to be huge in Australia, right up until the 1995-97 Super League war, which just destroyed the  international RL calendar; for example, all those massively anticipated Kangaroo + Lions tours at 4-yearly intervals just went out the window, and never came back … and it's never been explained why !!

Ever since, it's been a botch-potch of international RL programming, and meanwhile the SOO monster just grew and grew … to the point where the NRL relies on it for a huge part of its broadcasting deal. PLUS, the NRL no longer owns international RL product, so the NRL can't profit from it.

And then with no international RL, huge swathes of younger people don't grow up with it or are never introduced to it … and the memories of international RL of those of us who did grow up with it just slowly fade with time.

It's enough to make one weep !

• Like 8

It's about time the RLWC Board made a decision. The powers that be in Aussie are not going to change their minds and with that neither will NZ. They have had their chance it's their choice. Also forget about these composite teams, invite  the next two countries that would have qualified, being the US and Serbia. 

All this delay must be affecting the sale of tickets and that's the last thing we need.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I was in Australia during the 2014 4 Nations, to me the highest quality 4N tournament there was with all four teams competitive. Samoa we’re very unlucky not to win their first two games and the standard was excellent. I went to Brisbane for the double header and was in Melbourne for the Ryan Hall finger tip stitch up.

One of the things I was looking forward to was being in a country where League was popular while a good international tournament was on so I could discuss it at work etc. 

Imagine my surprise when the prime times news, on the channel that carried the sport, reviewed the game and then said “why are they even playing? No one cares.” Co-anchor - “yeah it’s a pointless tournament,  it’s just getting in the way of the cricket”

I felt the same after going for the 2008 World Cup down there. 

2 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

But it wasn't always like this … that's the annoying thing !!!

International RL used to be huge in Australia, right up until the 1995-97 Super League war, which just destroyed the  international RL calendar; for example, all those massively anticipated Kangaroo + Lions tours at 4-yearly intervals just went out the window, and never came back … and it's never been explained why !!

Ever since, it's been a botch-potch of international RL programming, and meanwhile the SOO monster just grew and grew … to the point where the NRL relies on it for a huge part of its broadcasting deal. PLUS, the NRL no longer owns international RL product, so the NRL can't profit from it.

And then with no international RL, huge swathes of younger people don't grow up with it or are never introduced to it … and the memories of international RL of those of us who did grow up with it just slowly fade with time.

It's enough to make one weep !

No, I get it. It’s not all the aussies fault. UK rugby league was a shambles in the mid to late 90s and by the time they got it together in the mid-2000s it was too late, proven by the fact that period was some of the best international RL. By then then couldn’t give a toss. Origin only. I doubt there’s been an institution, let alone sport, that’s been as self destructive as RL in the history of our species. If the World Cup goes ahead it will be a miracle 

• Like 2

3736-mipm.gif

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I felt the same after going for the 2008 World Cup down there. 

Media rules all. If our sports leading country’s media doesn’t care what hope is there? The question that puzzles me is why? Someone is pulling the strings obviously, but what sort of moron doesn’t understand the impact of a successful international game. We’re one of maybe 5 or 6 team sports with a legitimate international scene yet we (RFL included) treat it like an abscess on our sphincters.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Like 1

3736-mipm.gif

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t think bury, just not interested, I don`t think they think the story had legs, but if they smelt blood in the water, and that is what I was getting at by saying the NRL would be embarrassed by the tweet you posted, then I think definitely very quickly they would start running with it.

I think it's a bit of both. Vlandys very clearly has the news corp press in his pocket. They're like his own PR firm, and they are in control of much of the agenda setting in the coverage. Then we also have club-affiliated media figures at channel 9, like Phil Gould and Darren Lockyer. They all have vested interests in burying it. Beyond that though, the media treatment of the issue also probably is an extension of the unfortunate general apathy for test football here.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand why anyone can't appreciate the hierarchy of sporting competition in these days of global instant communications, global brands, global media etc.

Top of the pyramid is truly global competition :Olympics, Soccer World CuP, Tennis grand slams, Formula 1- They attract the biggest audiences, media coverage, tv rights and advertising/sponsorship.

the comes  pseudo -global stuff like the World Series, Rugby Union World Cup, something Krikit...

The comes regional international stuff, Euro this that and the other, for example.

At the bottom ferriting around amongst the loose change relatively speaking, is domestic sport. And thats what NRL is at present. Shirley Vlandis realises this. If not, then he's even more stipid than he appears.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I don't understand why anyone can't appreciate the hierarchy of sporting competition in these days of global instant communications, global brands, global media etc.

Top of the pyramid is truly global competition :Olympics, Soccer World CuP, Tennis grand slams, Formula 1- They attract the biggest audiences, media coverage, tv rights and advertising/sponsorship.

the comes  pseudo -global stuff like the World Series, Rugby Union World Cup, something Krikit...

The comes regional international stuff, Euro this that and the other, for example.

At the bottom ferriting around amongst the loose change relatively speaking, is domestic sport. And thats what NRL is at present. Shirley Vlandis realises this. If not, then he's even more stipid than he appears.

I agree with the sentiment but did you really just put the euros in your imaginary 3rd tier? It’s easily top 5 sporting tournaments in the world 

• Confused 1

3736-mipm.gif

4 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think it's a bit of both. Vlandys very clearly has the news corp press in his pocket. They're like his own PR firm, and they are in control of much of the agenda setting in the coverage. Then we also have club-affiliated media figures at channel 9, like Phil Gould and Darren Lockyer. They all have vested interests in burying it. Beyond that though, the media treatment of the issue also probably is an extension of the unfortunate general apathy for test football here.

Your spot on mate, I was thinking about Damien`s post and my response when I got off, I think we definitely need to clarify between the different media outlets responses and that was probably the bit I didn`t explain. Your probably right about Nine, and also the majority of the Murdoch media, having said that, Brent Read in the OZ has still been running stories,, but yes, I was actually talking about the other TV stations, like 7 and 10 and even the ABC or SBS for that matter. They are unlikely to run it until the NRL find them selves in a corner, but as you said, not before, just because of the general apathy and the fact that no one really takes International League seriously yet and the story would have no legs.

Edited by The Rocket
remove tautology
  • Like 2

Interview with John Dutton:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58006088

Sounds like they accept ARLC and NZRL will not change their minds but will push on if they can get buy in from the NRL players. I imagine the role of the RLPA is going to be pivotal in how this goes down and we should have a result either way next week.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frank said:

It's about time the RLWC Board made a decision. The powers that be in Aussie are not going to change their minds and with that neither will NZ. They have had their chance it's their choice. Also forget about these composite teams, invite  the next two countries that would have qualified, being the US and Serbia. 

All this delay must be affecting the sale of tickets and that's the last thing we need.

I think that's the point: we can't just slot in U.S. and Serbia and expect ticket sales to resume on the path expected. 

I know many on here, including myself, will honour the tickets bought, but others will be asking for refunds. You can already see it in RLWC Facebook posts. 

And it's very likely that the final surge in sales in the run up will now be weaker too. I know we all want it to be different, but there is a huge financial risk hanging over the tournament now that we can't just wish away. 

The organisers need to take the time they need to crunch the numbers and take a sober, responsible decision. And I think their hesitant comments of the last 24 hours suggest they have serious doubts about going ahead too. 

We all know where the blame for this disaster lies, but we're still required to make a responsible decision backed up by financial reality when it comes down to it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I agree with the sentiment but did you really just put the euros in your imaginary 3rd tier? It’s easily top 5 sporting tournaments in the world 

I was just idly looking through the list of most watched sporting events in the US earlier and in there, ahead of some college football games, NBA play offs, March Madness and the US Open is England v Italy in the Euros final.

Not sure it's top 5 in the world - so many variables about how you get that - but it's definitely ahead of every other football confederation tournament by some distance.

The overall point though that the RLWC isn't anywhere near that table still stands though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Whatever outcome the average rugby league supporter will never forget this shameful episode in International Rugby League.

If you told me this time last week around the time before the story broke what we now know - I'd say you were full of it, as if Aus/NZ would do that to jeopardize a tournament

History never treats kindly those who treat there own sport with contempt

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Media rules all. If our sports leading country’s media doesn’t care what hope is there? The question that puzzles me is why? Someone is pulling the strings obviously, but what sort of moron doesn’t understand the impact of a successful international game. 

I think the AFL`s successful encroachment into NSW and QLD during the past 3 decades or so has had an insidious and consolidating impact on the NRL and NRL media.

The AFL has no international scene. Therefore they have a vested, even existential, interest in Australian insularity. Locked into a binary domestic code war, the NRL and NRL media have been drawn more into viewing the sporting landscape through an AFL prism. Thus their neglect of international RL has grown.

The NRL media`s attitude to NZ is revealing. They take every opportunity to lionize the All Blacks. The only reason a sport would be so keen to promote a team in a rival sport is if that team are seen as operating in a completely disparate sphere. i.e. the All Blacks are a national team, and international competition has no relevance to Rugby League.

The NRL`s ambitions for NZ are entirely club-centred. They want the Warriors to be a strong organisation and NZ grass roots RL integrated into NRL pathways. Games against the Kiwis are a footnote.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
grammar and spelling
  • Like 4