Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Just now, Damien said:

Yet the All Blacks have a higher win percentage than the Kangaroos.

But still, the Wallabies sometimes win. 

England/GB never do, sadly. 

In addition to this, there are more top teams in Int RU than in Int RL. 

I'd dream having an Int RL scene actually comparable to the one RU has. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

2 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

In addition to this, there are more top teams in Int RU than in Int RL. 

I'd dream having an Int RL scene actually comparable to the one RU has. 

Therein lies the problem. It's not that Australia can't be beaten, it's that England can't beat them. NZ/Tonga can definitely beat Australia, it's not the foregone conclusion that Australia will win that the media think.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Invitational teams are invitational and not sanctioned by the governing body. They won't be sending anyone it will be the players taking it upon themselves if it happens.

But the NRL clubs are only obliged to release players for officially sanctioned matches. That’s the difficulty here. Even if players are prepared to play for an unsanctioned team are they prepared to go to war with their employer over it ?

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

But no one refused to watch it.

I don't know what you mean when you say ''no one refused to watch it'' but surely the spectator numbers (television and live) fluctuate up and down?

Rocket was suggesting that the numbers have been declining lately.

I'm just implying that it's a treadmill (I believe) they can't get off.

They have to keep flogging it (even if the horse is dying) because they haven't got any other horses. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

But the NRL clubs are only obliged to release players for officially sanctioned matches. That’s the difficulty here. Even if players are prepared to play for an unsanctioned team are they prepared to go to war with their employer over it ?

Sanctioned by who though? The NRL or the IRL?

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

I don't know what you mean when you say ''no one refused to watch it'' but surely the spectator numbers (television and live) fluctuate up and down?

Rocket was suggesting that the numbers have been declining lately.

I'm just implying that it's a treadmill (I believe) they can't get off.

They have to keep flogging it (even if the horse is dying) because they haven't got any other horses. 

Yeah Origin and Internationals are the only thing they have over the AFL. Now they want to remove international competition, SoO will be all they have left. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

the sanctioning is done by the IRL not by the governing body. Therefore if the IRL say its a sanctioned team they need to release. Thats part of the issue around the IRL not sanctioning end of season tests played by aus and nz if they dont turn up. 

Now, of course, that doesnt stop them having ghost surgeries and therefore not being released or just saying "actually i dont want to come". it also doesnt stop the NRL saying to clubs that they need to release players for the Aus v NZ unsanctioned test matches. 

It seems like there has been some big meeting with press and NRL CEOs. It sounds like the ARLC and NZRL aren't going to change their minds and there is now a huge effort to ensure players are onside for other nations:

Jon Dutton says there is a '50/50' chance of the Rugby League World Cup taking place following Australia and New Zealand's withdrawal.

Crucial talks are set to take place in the coming days, including an anonymous player survey to determine the appetite of players across the world following the withdrawal of the two powerhouse nations.

Dutton, who confirmed the decision of the ARLC and NZRL was 'irreversible', confirmed a final decision on the tournament's status will be made no later than next week.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup-dutton-21172130

2 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

How much would it cost to move it a year? If they bottle it and postpone it, the NRL should foot the bill. 

Probably a larger amount.. but its not just that its the intangibles of the fact there will be wall to wall fifa world cup in the papers (even just the build up) where as this is very much stand alone this year.  

Just now, londonrlfan said:

Do people really believe the covid excuse?

i'm assuming you havent read the thread as the last few questions you have asked have all been answered multiple times during it.. 

no, no one believes that excuse but its the one they are using and therefore the RLWC have to answer it in the open to show that its bull.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

In the past 10 years, the Wallabies have played the All Blacks 30 times, with the Wallabies winning 5 times.

In the same period, England have only played the Kangaroos 7 times. That's the issue.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

Probably a larger amount.. but its not just that its the intangibles of the fact there will be wall to wall fifa world cup in the papers (even just the build up) where as this is very much stand alone this year.  

Yep true and we don't know if stadiums will even be available. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Sanctioned by who though? The NRL or the IRL?

The IRL, but of course the IRL can only really sanction tests between its members. Indigenous teams are not members of the IRL therefore they have no jurisdiction over them. That’s the complication here. The NRL clubs would argue that these aren’t official test matches and that they can’t be forced to release players.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, londonrlfan said:

Do people really believe the covid excuse?

I do. To an extent. It’s certainly easy to jump onto the coat tails of and use it as a deflection for other thoughts or motives though. 

The numbers for Covid here recently haven’t been great and I can see why some may look at it unfavourably and be wary of such travel. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

It seems like there has been some big meeting with press and NRL CEOs. It sounds like the ARLC and NZRL aren't going to change their minds and there is now a huge effort to ensure players are onside for other nations:

Jon Dutton says there is a '50/50' chance of the Rugby League World Cup taking place following Australia and New Zealand's withdrawal.

Crucial talks are set to take place in the coming days, including an anonymous player survey to determine the appetite of players across the world following the withdrawal of the two powerhouse nations.

Dutton, who confirmed the decision of the ARLC and NZRL was 'irreversible', confirmed a final decision on the tournament's status will be made no later than next week.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-world-cup-dutton-21172130

It's looking less likely by the day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

new rise.jpg

I might switch to union. I'm sat watching Olympics 7s involving many countries. I can watch 6 Nations, Autumn internationals, SH internationals involving SA, NZ, Australia, Argentina, Lions Tours, Heineken Cup, World 7s circuit and a well organised, well publicised WC. 

• Sad 1

I don't think I could exist without a coffee shop trip. It's all about the Patch cafe in Leytonstone for me though.
Cap, 1 sugar, Oat milk (Minor Figures only) please..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

I`m sorry but as an Australian I also think it is wrong, the vast majority of `Daily Telegraph` reading Rugby League supporters, and that is by far and away the League demographic, take very little notice of afl, they have their club and they have SOO.

They used to follow International Rugby League, but apart from the occasional upset, we knew exactly who was going to win. I know people will trot out stats about the Kiwis in the 2000`s and England in Melbourne, but at the end of the day Oz won most of the time, always started winning again and are always red-hot favourites. It`s too predictable.

If Oz got knocked off its` perch for a couple of years and then start to get challenged year in, year out, then people will flock back to international League, like they did pre-1990`s. Until then they will stick to club football and SOO as long as that remains competitive.

I don't buy this argument. Everyone loves winning. I don't think suddenly losing will bring the fans back.

The All Blacks have won 80% of their matches in their 100+ year history.

• Like 2