Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

I still can’t believe the ARLC and NZRL have done this

Who needs enemies when you can have Australians?

You must feel so ashamed on behalf of your compatriots.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

36 minutes ago, RP London said:

It can be arranged... :kolobok_ph34r:

😂 I’m sure. Let’s just try and get a RLWC arranged shall we.

Ive been vocal about Australia and NZ having suitable reasons to withdraw from this WC. Many disagree with, that’s fine, people often do.

What doesn’t appear to be happening is an ARLC/NZRL U-turn and I can’t understand how Indigenous and Maori teams will proceed, as interesting that would be.

Best I can hope for as far as I can see is the WC does get rescheduled to next year and cross my fingers that England are unceremoniously knocked out of the FIFA WC following three straight defeats in the group stage, leaving the English public looking for a hero in the form of their RL team. 

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Ive been vocal about Australia and NZ having suitable reasons to withdraw from this WC. Many disagree with, that’s fine, people often do.

What doesn’t appear to be happening is an ARLC/NZRL U-turn and I can’t understand how Indigenous and Maori teams will proceed, as interesting that would be.

Best I can hope for as far as I can see is the WC does get rescheduled to next year and cross my fingers that England are unceremoniously knocked out of the FIFA WC following three straight defeats in the group stage, leaving the English public looking for a hero in the form of their RL team. 

They'd do well to get kicked out before the tournament starts. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I might switch to union. I'm sat watching Olympics 7s involving many countries. I can watch 6 Nations, Autumn internationals, SH internationals involving SA, NZ, Australia, Argentina, Lions Tours, Heineken Cup, World 7s circuit and a well organised, well publicised WC. 

It's hard to see any future for professional RL in the UK if the World Cup isn't going to happen ever again. If I owned one of the bigger clubs, I'd be seriously looking at non-league soccer or opportunities in the yawnion pyramid at this point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

but that wouldnt solve it as the RLWC happens before the FIFA World Cup which is the big problem.. it will get lost in the build up to the FiFA world cup and the whos injured whos not that will be the back pages of the papers in the run up. 

If it happens it needs to happen this year, if it happens next year i get the feeling it will be a pointless damp squib, more so than it happening this year with indigenous teams or invitation xiii or even bringing in the next qualifiers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

but that wouldnt solve it as the RLWC happens before the FIFA World Cup which is the big problem.. it will get lost in the build up to the FiFA world cup and the whos injured whos not that will be the back pages of the papers in the run up. 

If it happens it needs to happen this year, if it happens next year i get the feeling it will be a pointless damp squib, more so than it happening this year with indigenous teams or invitation xiii or even bringing in the next qualifiers.

Launching 2023 with a Feb RLWC would be better. If anything, end of season is probably my least favourite time for internationals.

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Launching 2023 with a Feb RLWC would be better. If anything, end of season is probably my least favourite time for internationals.

Yep up against the 6 Nations RU would be good 😕 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Scubby said:

Yep up against the 6 Nations RU would be good 😕 

xxxx the Six Nations. Not like they play that 💩 on consecutive weekends anyway is it?

What a great way to demonstrate to the neutrals the difference between the two.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

terrible idea.. the point of end of season is the players are all "in the groove" a pre season world cup would be woeful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

That’s a very telling statistic. Where is that quote from @Matterhorn?

Its through all online publications that have bothered to report on the world cup.

A recent survey showed 75 per cent of players consulted by Australia’s players union were still happy to travel to England to play in the World Cup.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

xxxx the Six Nations. Not like they play that 💩 on consecutive weekends anyway is it?

What a great way to demonstrate to the neutrals the difference between the two.

In the UK the RLWC would not get a look in. Remember the BBC this autumn were committed to televising every single game on its platform - including women's and wheelchair - the most live games ever.

The UK government put in A$40m - that is 5x what the Queensland govt paid for SOO. Not happening in 2021 will destroy the game in this country and basically bankrupt international RL going forward.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Encouraging, every current or recent Kangaroo or Kiwi who has spoken out seems to be saying let players come if they want to.

Cam Smith saying the same probably gets the NRL referees on board too....

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why can't we just play it without Aus/NZ? Are we admitting they're bigger than the sport?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

I see that a couple of the NRLW players are playing union at the Olympics. Not sure what to make of that.

They want to represent Australia on the big stage as opposed to staying at home and being patronised by the NRL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

Its through all online publications that have bothered to report on the world cup.

A recent survey showed 75 per cent of players consulted by Australia’s players union were still happy to travel to England to play in the World Cup.

The quote I have regularly seen is 75% of players polled by IRL. Nothing to do with Australians specifically and I can’t remember how many were polled or if it was reported. 4? 24? 124?

But if you have an alternate quote, then as I said, a telling stat.

3 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Why can't we just play it without Aus/NZ? Are we admitting they're bigger than the sport?

They're not bigger than the sport, but they're an enormous part of international RL. That's why their absence causes such a big problem. We might still decide to play without them, but it's not a decision that can be arrived at without a great deal of careful consideration.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Well, I would probably watch it, but I wouldn’t be too engaged. 

edit* - see next post

No reason why not in theory. 

Edited by Sports Prophet

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Correction, I would be engaged in it and keen to watch it all.

Plenty who wouldn’t though. Many of those probably weren’t gonna watch anyway, so not much lost.

Edited by Sports Prophet

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Tonga and Samoa would be even stronger and would be worthy winners. As would Fiji. If England can beat Tonga/Samoa stacked with Aus/NZ interntionals, I don't see why it would be devalued. 

7 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

No, we're admitting that a World Cup without Australia and NZ is clearly an inferior product. 

Bankrupting the Northern Hemisphere game just to prove some sort of point gets us nowhere.

This decision now is basically about choosing the least worst option financially. Only the organisers really know the facts of that. 

• Like 2