Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

11 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

£10m of it was for the 'Funded By' programme which has put money into facilities and equipment for community clubs. Most if not all of that has already been spent.

Right, so already I've discovered that the dramatic claim that rugby league will only get £25m from UK government if the world cup is hosted in 2021 and not anytime after, is in fact misinformation. £10m of the £25m has already been received from the government and has already been spent. So now I just need to find out whether the other £15m is conditional on the tournament being held in 2021 and not later. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Right, so already I've discovered that the dramatic claim that rugby league will only get £25m from UK government if the world cup is hosted in 2021 and not anytime after, is in fact misinformation. £10m of the £25m has already been received from the government and has already been spent. So now I just need to find out whether the other £15m is conditional on the tournament being held in 2021 and not later. 

And whether the £10m already received would have to be paid back if the tournament does not take place in 2021. None of us have sight of the contract (that I am aware of) so perhaps you would be prepared to understand why those of us who have to live with the UK government every day might believe their "northern powerhouse" plans are treated with suspicion.

2 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I don't mean this as a dig, as I enjoy your posts and appreciate your views, but Makinson is 29 years old and won the Golden Boot as the best player in the world.

I'm almost sure that the Golden Boot criteria changed and it was awarded to the person who made the  most impression at international level.  (obviously not going to be won by an Aussie anytime soon if that's the case)

35 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

What makes people think they won't do the same in 2025 too? Going ahead without them is the best option. 

And that is a massive question. Or, looking at it another way, why would anyone - individual, government or sponsor -invest money, time and effort in preparing for a World Cup if that is completely wasted because NRL go “nah”? 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

And that is a massive question. Or, looking at it another way, why would anyone - individual, government or sponsor -invest money, time and effort in preparing for a World Cup if that is completely wasted because NRL go “nah”? 

The annoying thing is France 2025 was shaping up to be an attractive proposition and the NRL have probably scuppered that too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

Highly likely that the remaining £15m or at least the vast majority has been spent as these types of events cost a fair few bob in upfront costs

1 hour ago, londonrlfan said:

What makes people think they won't do the same in 2025 too? Going ahead without them is the best option. 

If you go ahead this time then they will turn up next time. If you back down to the bully then they will bully you again next time

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Indeed. This is one of the slight risks with this public spat strategy. We could probably have kept it quiet and all blamed covid together publicly and it would have been damage limitation. If this now gets delayed, we have shown that we are a real mickey mouse sport with a world cup nobody values and why on earth would those people invest in future. 

We have actually had great planning and serious investment for once, we can't blow this. We are at risk of undoing any efforts of 2008, 2013 and the limited success of 2017 with this. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

If you go ahead this time then they will turn up next time. If you back down to the bully then they will bully you again next time

And you lose the faith of any partners or sponsors you may have right now. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Why do you think these so called bullies turned up in the past (e.g. when there wasn't Covid)?

I've been watching rugby league since 1990 and I've seen the Aussies and New Zealanders come here many times. For example, off the top of my head the Aussies were here in 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2013, 2016. Bit hazy about the rest, but I'm sure I've missed some years.

So when and why did they decide to become bullies?

• Confused 5

When the defections came, I was hopeful the WC would proceed without them and the game would prove it is bigger than any of its parts. The holding off an announcement could be due diligence but also an admission they are dependent on certain nations being there.

If the tournament ends up being a break even affair rather than a profit maker, then surely press on. Only a loss making WC is to be cancelled. If the WC is cancelled, it will prove the game is dependent on one of its parts to do anything.

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Why do you think these so called bullies turned up in the past (e.g. when there wasn't Covid)?

I've been watching rugby league since 1990 and I've seen the Aussies and New Zealanders come here many times. For example, off the top of my head the Aussies were here in 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2013, 2016. Bit hazy about the rest, but I'm sure I've missed some years.

So when and why did they decide to become bullies?

• Threatened players strike before 2017 WC
  • Tried everything to block Eng v NZ test in Denver (citing player safety)
  • Went back on agreed IRL Confederation Cup plan
  • Pulled out of plans to play GB in 2019
  • Axed mid season international window
  • Pulled out of 2021 WC (citing player safety)

Not bad since you last saw them in 2016.

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 16

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

You forgot the refereeing.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Axed the Anzac test, last played in 2017.