Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can someone explain how they can block players of nations who signed the participation agreement. Couldnt we sue them now? 

The NRL clubs can't, they are using the Aus/NZ pull out to try and suffocate the RLWC organisers into submission. That, plus misinformation to the other players, is their only hand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can someone explain how they can block players of nations who signed the participation agreement. Couldnt we sue them now? 

In what court and with what money - and how likely to be sorted in three months?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

"The NRL and its clubs have gone to great lengths and invested heavily to ensure our players remain healthy and the competition continues," Souths CEO Blake Solly said.

Corrected that...

Disappointing that it's someone with so much experience running RL in England that they've put out to kill RL in England.

Edited by JonM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Australian media so far are reporting this take on it:

“Ordinarily, clubs are bound to release players for representative duties as part of their license agreement with the NRL.

However that will not be enforced this World Cup after the ARL Commission's decision to pull the Kangaroos from the tournament.

It means clubs would have the power to tell their players they do not want them to participate.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-league/nrl-clubs-dish-out-world-cup-hammer-blow-c-3549625

Who is deciding not to enforce it? Australia and NZ are full members of the IRL. The IRL isn't a full member of the NRL.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Who is deciding not to enforce it? Australia and NZ are full members of the IRL. The IRL isn't a full member of the NRL.

Who would win in a court battle between the IRL and the NRL though?

If it’s in the players contracts couldn’t they waive their right to appear in this case?

21 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Why have Souths and Raiders been put at front of house to deliver this message from the 16? Is it because they are the only clubs with more than 1 English player, to apply a bit more informal pressure.? If so, that stinks.

Interesting by issuing the statement, South Sydney are at odds with the opinion of their current Head Coach....

• Like 2

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I mean we could try.

And "we" presumably means the IRL, a shell organisation that depends on the RFL, ARLC and NZRL for its existence.

It wouldn't be a fair fight and the NRL knows it. 

In rugby league (including in England) the clubs have always had the ultimate power because the international game is so limited, and it's just being illustrated now at the worst possible time in the worst possible way. 

In soccer, the reason the European super league collapsed was because a/ governments pledged to step in and stop it, and b/ to their credit the super league clubs' own fans said they'd boycott it. 

I see neither the Australian government nor the NRL fans caring about what's happening, so the NRL will carry on regardless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

They know it can't simply happen by transposing 2021's dates and locations.

They don't care.

But they also know that if IRL is desperate enough that they (the NRL) have priority access to a bunch of soulless stadiums in Sydney and Brisbane which could add to their (the NRL's) profit.

Heck, there's probably a pie shop or two who already support the NRL who might like to pay a few extra dollars to get their name on the halfway line.

That's all the NRL is now a game run purely to make profit, no profit don't bother.

It's been like this since the SL war. 

It's the only sport I know that kills off fans rather then growing them.....tooo stupid.

• Like 1

I'd hate to be the person with the job to tell Jason T that he is not going.

In fact if Tonga put a statement out saying they are still going with all the potential players signing the statement then that would send a message they won't be bullied into withdrawing

• Like 2

I think the fact the NRL clubs have felt the need to put out this statement, after more than a week since the original decision, smacks of desperation. The NRL and its clubs really thought their decision was final and stayed quiet, as did their media lackies, thinking the story would just go away. It hadn't and they are now shooting themselves in the foot and doing serious harm when it comes to player relations, not just for the World Cup but going forward too.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The latest statement re: the NRL clubs not having to release their players is being described as a hammer blow.

I take it this is them playing their ace.

Do the organisers have any cards left to play now or is it finished?

Don't listen to any media that is News Corp.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

What's the IRL going to do, kick out the ARLC? It's an empty threat. 

In these circumstances, they might as well...

Actually, that would be funny for about 5 minutes. Presumably in the interim no NRL player would be insured because their insurers would only accept them playing in recognised competitions. So if the NRL is recognised by the ARLC, which is recognised by the IRL at international level...  Lawyers' beanfeast.

I mean, they'd get round it, but maybe not before all this weekend's matches have had to be cancelled or played without insurance.*

*which is why, when this has periodically been suggested in RU as the nuclear option to bring premiership clubs to heel, it's always been argued to do it on a Friday, during the season.

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 1

And the dirty tactics continue. Nothing the NRL does surprises me anymore. A despicable organisation:

Kick-off in the NRL Telstra Women's Premiership has been delayed until October due to the COVID-19 pandemic with the six-week competition to be held as a standalone event.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/30/nrlw-now-a-standalone-october-event-after-kick-off-delay/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, rlno1 said:

Don't listen to any media that is News Corp.

Fair enough and it’s the NRL players that still hold the key to this.

I just don’t see them going up against their employers over this World Cup (I hope they do but I’m being realistic).

A Rugby League World Cup without SH players is obviously finished.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

This is over!

NRL is now pretty much the NFL. SL/RFL is College football. The IRL is meaningless.

Well, yes. Although that's been the case for a long time, possibly forever, it's just never been exposed in such a brutal fashion before. 

Even in the pre-Superleague days, international rugby existed because of agreements between the ARL and RFL. We've never had an all powerful international body like FIFA. 

I'm not interested in the politics now.  We may have an 'insider' view of the motivations of the NRL clubs and the significance of IRL's level if authority etc. but all that will be seen from outside Rugby League is one part of our great sport trying every angle it can find to stop its premier international event from taking place.

The sport of Rugby League has shown once again that it is its own worst enemy.

I am very close to just walking away from Rugby League, which has been one of my life's great passions - sometimes you have to just let things go to protect yourself! If the World Cup is destroyed as seems highly likely now then I am done.

• Like 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

And the dirty tactics continue. Nothing the NRL does surprises me anymore. A despicable organisation:

Kick-off in the NRL Telstra Women's Premiership has been delayed until October due to the COVID-19 pandemic with the six-week competition to be held as a standalone event.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/30/nrlw-now-a-standalone-october-event-after-kick-off-delay/

Pathetic. No one will care then it's cricket season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Well, yes. Although that's been the case for a long time, possibly forever, it's just never been exposed in such a brutal fashion before. 

Even in the pre-Superleague days, international rugby existed because of agreements between the ARL and RFL. We've never had an all powerful international body like FIFA. 

We did have an international board who sanctioned rules and tours etc. We have tried to get an organisation to control the game like FIFA but the NRL won't allow them full control.

4 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Pathetic. No one will care then it's cricket season.

Indeed.

Women’s Big Bash starts 14th October as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not interested in the politics now.  We may have an 'insider' view of the motivations of the NRL clubs and the significance of IRL's level if authority etc. but all that will be seen from outside Rugby League is one part of our great sport trying every angle it can find to stop its premier international event from taking place.

I am very close to just walking away from Rugby League, which has been one of my life's great passions - sometimes you have to just let things go to protect yourself! If the World Cup is destroyed as seems highly likely now then I am done.

Why would you let the selfish behaviour of some Australian businessesmen take away one of your life's great pleasures?

It's probably too late to save this world cup, but longer term we can rebuild. 

There are two rugby leagues now, one based around Sydney and one around Northern England. Players may move between the two but too all intents and purposes they're separate sports. It's schism 2.0 without the blacklisting.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm with you there. Though I will follow the rest of the world game, I'm done with the NRL, my membership will go, no more listening to BS from News LTd lackies and Gould, Origin etc. I don't need it.

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

What still amazes me about the NRL’s statement and indeed the entire Australian me me me approach is that there is no suggestion as to how a 2022 World Cup would happen, or any acknowledgement of the efforts other sports are taking when faced with the same challenges and the costs and vast wider impact associated with any rearranged tournament.

That is all a red herring.

The NRL clubs know postponement will create massive headaches and is just not going to happen in 2022, that's why they are arguing for it !!!

The NRL clubs have been agitating against the 2021 RLWC for months.

They are completely against the RLWC full stop. They make no money from it, and they know it is taking attention away from their fading SOO.

The statement by the clubs is completely mendacious!

THEY WANT TO KILL OFF THE IRL ALTOGETHER.

• Like 1