Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Sickeningly and someone else made this point before me, they’ll probably throw us the bone of participating in an NRL ran and sanctioned minor international competition based in the SH.

It will be take it or leave it.

The temptation will be to tell them to shove it, but the reality will be different.

These deluded and arrogant Aussies are completely clueless if they believe you can just move the event to next year without there being any possible ramifications. If the WC is cancelled for 2021, then it will never come back. 

• Like 2

Fck 'em. Players who want to play for their countries will.

Ricky Stuart is probably the only coach in the NRL who'll be unhappy about this.
Hope Shaun Wane calls every Englishman playing in the NRL into his squad.

I suggest anyone else who is infuriated with this does not read Phil Goulds twitter feed.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

As much as I enjoy watching the PI nations if they are to fall under the NRL spell, as laughable as the National Rugby League running the international game is, then maybe a split is needed. Lets Australia do as they wish in the Pacific with their heritage teams and the rest stay with the IRL. That is basically what has been happening anyway. As things stand no one gets any benefit of these heritage teams outside of World Cups anyway.

Also from an international perspective the Aussies and NZ do actually need us, England is what usually makes international RL pay whether that is tours or the World Cup. The NRL may hold all the cards when it comes to domestic competitions with their power and finance but in terms of the international game that is not the case. 

If this doesn't make England and the RFL realise that they have to do everything they can do to develop Wales and France in particular, as well as the wider European game, then nothing will. As unpopular as it is to some on here that requires a co-ordinated approach with the domestic game to build the necessary pool of players and clubs. We know that heritage sides can be produced by Ireland and Scotland in the short term. That is 5 clubs and we can create a viable European scene with that. Wake up and smell the coffee RFL while you can still do something about it.

Spot on.

We need to wake up and realise that we (England) are one of "the other nations". Our fate is now linked far more to these countries than Australia and New Zealand.

The imperative to make France and Wales etc competitive has never been higher from an English perspective. I don't even care if they have to sell it as "this benefits England and English RL most" to get it past some people.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Name one sportsman in the world killed or severely ill from Covid when participating in a tournament.

Beattie another on the News Ltd payroll. Part of the game's hijacking.

Worst of all a bloody politician.

Tom Dean had Covid twice in 18 months and won the Olympic Gold medal in 200m freestyle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The NRL want to run International RL and try and make international RL prosper but helping to cancel a record-breaking RLWC that was set to deliver £10-15m (A$20m+) to international RL?

WTF!

Because they won't see a penny of it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The NRL want to run International RL and try and make international RL prosper but helping to cancel a record-breaking RLWC that was set to deliver £10-15m (A$20m+) to international RL?

WTF!

This is the thing I can't wrap my head around. The plans the NRL put forward previously (which Hela posted earlier) included a WC. So why on earth choose to try cancelling one which obtained a huge amount of funding from outside the sport and which was on track to deliver a fantastic spectacle across the men's, women's and wheelchair versions of the sport in the face of a pandemic.

Seems like such a ed up way to get themselves more power.

Right now it feels like the only hope is that they've chosen to go up against the UK government and taxpayer's money rather than solely the IRL, and perhaps that might be enough.

Maybe I'm a bit too emotionally invested in this WC but at this point I'd rather see the whole sport die than see the NRL complete such a hostile takeover of international RL.

Well, hopefully the actions of the ARLC/NRL and their puppets in the NZRL will finally make the RFL and SL wake the fck up.

We have all the tools we need to build our own successes. We don't really need to play the Aussies or the Kiwis to build properly. Yes they traditionally generate the most interest among UK RL fans, but that doesn't mean it has to always be that way.

Get our sh!t together. We control our own destiny. Not them.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

If the NRL 'take over' international RL, then it will cease to exist, while the NRL season and SOO are extended. Then they will have the audacity to wonder why Kiwis, English, French, Fijians, PNG players leave the sport in droves. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It was one of the first times an NRL official had come out and criticised the IRL as being a puppet of the RFL and publicly showing aggression to the efforts of the RFL to stage international development. They have then gone and trumped it and gone all out. 

Richardson and Gould are both key people in this, both NRL club officials - and based on their ramblings, absolutely bat- crazy and deluded.

They actually think the NRL will be like the NFL, they are deluded. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Moove said:

This is the thing I can't wrap my head around. The plans the NRL put forward previously (which Hela posted earlier) included a WC. So why on earth choose to try cancelling one which obtained a huge amount of funding from outside the sport and which was on track to deliver a fantastic spectacle across the men's, women's and wheelchair versions of the sport in the face of a pandemic.

Seems like such a ed up way to get themselves more power.

Right now it feels like the only hope is that they've chosen to go up against the UK government and taxpayer's money rather than solely the IRL, and perhaps that might be enough.

Maybe I'm a bit too emotionally invested in this WC but at this point I'd rather see the whole sport die than see the NRL complete such a hostile takeover of international RL.

It is a power play. It just demonstrates control. So when the NRL next put a plan in place, it is hard for the IRL members to ignore it, because the NRL have demonstrated who is boss.

Remember, it is peanuts what the RLWC will return for the Aussies.

Edited by Dave T

3 minutes ago, Moove said:

Their proposals back in 2018 where everything to do with controlling the lion's share of income to the sport. Look at the proposed nations they would play in those Four Nations tournaments; then look at us. The game for a while has spoken about another big IRL-led tournament; the NRL/ARLC have always been steadfast against. Its about power, control and money; not about the best interests of the game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I certainly agree with the sentiment Damien, the big problem is that in reality, the standard of the Home Nations teams is poor and no real signs of that improving - particularly if you strip out NRL players. There is definitely more that can be done, but I worry if ther becomes a formal NH/SH divide.

Standards are certainly a huge issue and its far from what I would want either. I want the IRL to run the game with the NRL on board. Without repeating myself though with mid season internationals being scrapped, episodes like the Denver tests, players not being released, confederations cup scrapped and now the World Cup an international game run by the NRL is not an international game.

However either way we should certainly be edging our bets and there are certainly things the game in the UK can do to improve things drastically. Things we should be doing anyway in my opinion. We saw what a boost Welsh RL got with the Celtic Crusaders in a short time they were in existence. I know finances are a huge issue there with teams in Wales and would require a different, unpopular approach. We know what a boost French RL would get if Toulouse were in Super League and we had 2 French clubs. I don't think finances are a issue there. Again it requires a different approach. Beyond that there is certainly a reliance on heritage players but Ireland in particular wouldn't struggle on that front. I'm not really of the belief that these nations will get significantly better by playing more, what they need is more full time players to choose from and we need to look to increase that pool.

The game in the UK needs an entire joined up strategy from top to bottom with the domestic game feeding into the international scene. The international scene at the top level cant develop unless it is assisted domestically in my opinion whilst a strong international scene benefits Super League and makes it more valuable. Everyone needs to realise that. I don't have all the answers and don't want to derail such an important thread by expanding too much as I know others will disagree. However what I certainly believe is that we need to reduce our reliance on the NRL and not allow the international game to be dictated to and bullied by it. We certainly cant cave in. That means changing what we do and doing it differently.

• Like 3

Just now, rlno1 said:

They actually think the NRL will be like the NFL, they are deluded. 

The NBA is the better example. Bigger than the sport, but they don't try and stop the WC and Olympics from existing, and put money in to help grow the sport globally. There are worse examples to follow for the NRL. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Essex Eel said:

In the majority of sports representing your country should be the highlight of your career and a world Cup an unforgettable experience. Young kids will often be inspired by watching these big events and the interest they generate can be huge in terms of media coverage, sponsorship and raising a sports profile. The stance taken by the NRL is inexcusable and detrimental to the growth and future of our sport.  I fear that the lack of International opportunities will make our sport less attractive to young kids and may see existing players look at union as a more attractive proposition as they can test their skills and achieve a higher profile on a much larger stage.

Damn right and when the NRL take over where are they going to take the Roos? Penrith and Campbelltown. This ia beyond a joke.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Standards are certainly a huge issue and its far from what I would want either. I want the IRL to run the game with the NRL on board. Without repeating myself though with mid season internationals being scrapped, episodes like the Denver tests, players not being released, confederations cup scrapped and now the World Cup an international game run by the NRL is not an international game.

However either way we should certainly be edging our bets and there are certainly things the game in the UK can do to improve things drastically. Things we should be doing anyway in my opinion. We saw what a boost Welsh RL got with the Celtic Crusaders in a short time they were in existence. I know finances are a huge issue there with teams in Wales and would require a different, unpopular approach. We know what a boost French RL would get if Toulouse were in Super League and we had 2 French clubs. I don't think finances are a issue there. Again it requires a different approach. Beyond that there is certainly a reliance on heritage players but Ireland in particular wouldn't struggle on that front. I'm not really of the belief that these nations will get significantly better by playing more, what they need is more full time players to choose from and we need to look to increase that pool.

The game in the UK needs an entire joined up strategy from top to bottom with the domestic game feeding into the international scene. The international scene at the top level cant develop unless it is assisted domestically in my opinion whilst a strong international scene benefits Super League and makes it more valuable. Everyone needs to realise that. I don't have all the answers and don't want to derail such an important thread by expanding too much as I know others will disagree. However what I certainly believe is that we need to reduce our reliance on the NRL and not allow the international game to be dictated to and bullied by it. We certainly cant cave in. That means changing what we do and doing it differently.

Yep, as I say, I certainly agree with the sentiment, I suppose it needs to be a long-term strategy, and the short-term worries me if the NRL get their way.

• Like 1

Looks like the NZ womens team has been has been kicked out of the Aussie comp.  They  were costing the NRL money.

These women have been left out in the cold with no games. Will most probably go to Union now.

Yet the NZRL is still subservient to the NRL.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

My god, that is sickening.

No point in trying to reply.  I cant read his row-locks anyway, since he blocked me following my erudite and highly literate  tweet to him.

"This account owner limits who can view their Tweets""

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

If the NRL don't allow any players to come over for the WC then we all need to boycott watching the NRL. We need to start a mass exodus 

Done that.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

If IRL break away from the NRL, then we should be looking to Canada/USA, as that's where the money is. But we fcked that up already by booting out Toronto to shrink back to the M62. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

If IRL break away from the NRL, then we should be looking to Canada/USA, as that's where the money is. But we fcked that up already by booting out Toronto to shrink back to the M62. 

That's wrong. Its the NRL breaking away from the IRL. A small but very important difference.

Edited by Damien