Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Re-reading the the statement the clubs put out, it's interesting to note the language has changed from the biosecurity measures being "insufficient" to now being "onerous". It's amazing what a grip they have on the press over there that they can just argue whatever's convenient and then contradict themselves the next day without anyone picking up on it. 

• Like 6

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

That's wrong. Its the NRL breaking away from the IRL. A small but very important difference.

True. But the NRL has no interest in International competition. They will just extend NRL/SOO in the usual international slot.

IRL needs to move on without them. Put some time into France, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Balkans, Nigeria, Latin America etc. 

2 minutes ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

The headline doesn't match the actual article. Meninga doesn't say he's heartbroken over the withdrawal, all it actually quotes is Adrian Lam saying he thinks Meninga will be heartbroken and then himself effectively agreeing with the NRLs stance.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

True. But the NRL has no interest in International competition. They will just extend NRL/SOO in the usual international slot.

IRL needs to move on without them. Put some time into France, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Balkans, Nigeria, Latin America etc. 

Those countries won't be able to field competitive national teams without full time players though.  Where is there for them all to play at that level?

5 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Re-reading the the statement the clubs put out, it's interesting to note the language has changed from the biosecurity measures being "insufficient" to now being "onerous". It's amazing what a grip they have on the press over there that they can just argue whatever's convenient and then contradict themselves the next day without anyone picking up on it. 

Do they need to lock their families indoors and gaffer tape the doors shut, or is that sort of onerous OK?  I lose track.

• Like 2

Just now, Big Picture said:

Those countries won't be able to field competitive national teams without full time players though.  Where is there for them all to play at that level?

It won't happen overnight, obviously. But put effort into helping them develop and then see the growth in 10/15 years. 

At the moment, England could have decent games v France, Wales and then the likes of Jamaica and Nigeria (with heritage players) without needing the NRL. 

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

It won't happen overnight, obviously. But put effort into helping them develop and then see the growth in 10/15 years. 

At the moment, England could have decent games v France, Wales and then the likes of Jamaica and Nigeria (with heritage players) without needing the NRL. 

I'm not so sure about that.  England beat Wales 80-12 and France 44-6 the last time they played those countries and the latter score was a big improvement for France compared to their 84-4 loss to England a years earlier.

17 minutes ago, frank said:

Looks like the NZ womens team has been has been kicked out of the Aussie comp. 

Hadn't that already happened?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Big Picture said:

I'm not so sure about that.  England beat Wales 80-12 and France 44-6 the last time they played those countries and the latter score was a big improvement for France compared to their 84-4 loss to England a years earlier.

True, but games against France are always half assed. Instead of playing on Thursday nights in Leigh with no tv coverage, play France in Toulouse in front of 20k live on BBC. I think RL is too obsessed with score lines at international level rather than the event. The RFU get 80k through the turnstiles regardless of who England play. I'm sure the crowd aren't bothered about thrashing Tonga or Japan, they're there because it's an event and they'll be watching England. 

• Like 4

True, but games against France are always half assed. Instead of playing on Thursday nights in Leigh with no tv coverage, play France in Toulouse in front of 20k live on BBC. I think RL is too obsessed with score lines at international level rather than the event. The RFU get 80k through the turnstiles regardless of who England play. I'm sure the crowd aren't bothered about thrashing Tonga or Japan, they're there because it's an event and they'll be watching England. 

The problem we've got now is that if we don't play Australia or NZ then we won't have any big guns to play against. Whereas in union, they have more competitive games than they do thrashings.

I'm very fearful for the international game now. Without it, the game in the UK is going to become less and less relevant. Unfortunately we can't trust the Aussies any more. I don't know if there's any point in trying to organise anything with them now - the way they're talking about this world cup is as if it's been planned by the IRL on the back of a fag packet on the spur of the moment, rather than it having been years in the planning. Gould's comment about the international game never being able to grow or develop if the IRL run it is an absolute disgrace. This world cup was on course to be the biggest global rugby league event ever staged. And the NRL/ARL have shafted it.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I would strongly differ from that opinion.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

The problem we've got now is that if we don't play Australia or NZ then we won't have any big guns to play against. Whereas in union, they have more competitive games than they do thrashings.

I'm very fearful for the international game now. Without it, the game in the UK is going to become less and less relevant. Unfortunately we can't trust the Aussies any more. I don't know if there's any point in trying to organise anything with them now - the way they're talking about this world cup is as if it's been planned by the IRL on the back of a fag packet on the spur of the moment, rather than it having been years in the planning. Gould's comment about the international game never being able to grow or develop if the IRL run it is an absolute disgrace. This world cup was on course to be the biggest global rugby league event ever staged. And the NRL/ARL have shafted it.

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking, in which their biggest test will be Combined Nations. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

Edited by Hela Wigmen

I think there is great potential for a 'rivalry' between England and Jamaica. Yes, England will run in a big score line to start with, but just imagine England v Jamaica live on the BBC with a big crowd. It would do wonders for the sport's image, especially for the Jamaican heritage people in the country and promote the sport. Plus Jamaica are a genuine team, so the funds would go to help their development. And we wouldn't have to worry about the NRL preventing it from going ahead, as the players would come from SL.

But unfortunately that requires vision and ambition, which RL lacks. We'd rather not bother playing than play Jamaica sadly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking, in which their biggest test will be Combined Nations. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

If that's the reality then the RFL will prioritise another round of loop fixtures over any internationals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that Australia and New Zealand won’t play international games or games against England. I read it as they will play, on their terms. Once the coup d’état gets more traction behind it, it’s then up to England to decide whether they follow suit and pander to the two of them in the hope they get some games against the two or go off on their own, becoming a huge fish in a tiny pond, relatively speaking. Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

Yes I think it's very much going to be a case of whenever the muse takes them, they'll click their fingers and we'll have to decide whether to come running or not.

We can't postpone the WC for a year, because they will be able to use the same excuses next year and it will end up getting cancelled. Gould hinted at this in one of his recent TV appearances. As long as Covid's around, I wouldn't trust them to not use it as an excuse to cancel a tournament or tour. So I can't see us playing them for at least 2-3 years, unless possibly it's us going over there.

34 minutes ago, Moove said:

The headline doesn't match the actual article. Meninga doesn't say he's heartbroken over the withdrawal, all it actually quotes is Adrian Lam saying he thinks Meninga will be heartbroken and then himself effectively agreeing with the NRLs stance.

Adrian Lam, who has been here throughout the pandemic and knows first hand that not a single pro RL player has lost his health or career due to Covid despite far laxer protocols than the WC proposals, is being supportive of the NRL stance straight after the NRL press release.  

He is employed by the ARLC (assistant coach) and there is a very good chance he will be back in the NRL next year, contract discussions with Wigan have not even started.

I wonder if someone from the NRL/ARLC has been in touch.... 

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 4

Has there been any mention on whether Australian or NZ game officials are also withdrawals? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The things is though, any tournaments played in the NH can be planned for years in advance. We're not afforded the same luxury with Aus/NZ. It would just be a half assed last minute test in Wollongong at best. 

36 minutes ago, Moove said:

If he was heartbroken he would have come out and said or done something. He is on Fox....paid by the NRL/Murdoch.

• Like 2

The things is though, any tournaments played in the NH can be planned for years in advance. We're not afforded the same luxury with Aus/NZ. It would just be a half assed last minute test in Wollongong at best. 

Erm Campbelltown - Woolongong too far up the coast.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Ultimately, the cards are stacked in the favour of Australia and New Zealand. 

Of course they are. But they already control the sport. Have done for years. They don't own all the levers; but nothing happens without their agreement. Now they want all the levers. 

• Like 2

Ive written a reply to that vermin Gould about 5 times, each time it sets off factual and calm but degenerates quickly into me calling him a worthless archaic, out of touch cretinous old "redacted"....man I`m furious at how this whole thing has been played out by the NRL rats, the whole thing was planned to allow them to take control of the international RL and make more money, thats it. Its utterly sickening that they feel they can act this way, and even more annoying that the likelihood is they will get away with it scott free. the NRL, the NRL clubs, the NRL bought for media, mouthpieces and all the other trash they are involved with can go to hell and I for one look forward to the almost certain implosion when they fall out with each other again. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

😂 I’m sure. Let’s just try and get a RLWC arranged shall we.

Ive been vocal about Australia and NZ having suitable reasons to withdraw from this WC. Many disagree with, that’s fine, people often do.

What doesn’t appear to be happening is an ARLC/NZRL U-turn and I can’t understand how Indigenous and Maori teams will proceed, as interesting that would be.

Best I can hope for as far as I can see is the WC does get rescheduled to next year and cross my fingers that England are unceremoniously knocked out of the FIFA WC following three straight defeats in the group stage, leaving the English public looking for a hero in the form of their RL team. 

Would you be in favour of the Aussies and NZ union teams not coming here this autumn?

9 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Adrian Lam, who has been here throughout the pandemic and knows first hand that not a single pro RL player has lost his health or career due to Covid despite far laxer protocols than the WC proposals, is being supportive of the NRL stance straight after the NRL press release.  

He is employed by the ARLC (assistant coach) and there is a very good chance he will be back in the NRL next year, contract discussions with Wigan have not even started.

I wonder if someone from the NRL/ARLC has been in touch.... 

Nail on head.

• Like 2