Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

11 hours ago, Damien said:

Not sure how you reason with logic like this. Followed up with a couple more points but don't expect a reply.

Why the FCK does Gould have so much control over everything, he is just a TV commentator.

9 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

Think positive, it wont be cancelled to much invested in it to let the NRL bully us.

I actually agree, alot is going on at ground level with Troy Grant and his team canvassing players. He was not in attendance at the Press conference on Thursday which was noticeable.

They have the NRL worried otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with their press statements and Gould has been throwing tantrums.

6 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Several pages ago, there was an interesting discussion about England v France etc. Whilst predictions of 35K crowds for England v France in London are wildly optimistic (even though the city consistently gets the highest international crowds), I'd wager non-heartland venues could attract more than 5K - 7K that Leigh has drawn for the same fixture, previously.

If you played England v France at Brentford (brand new, 17K, pitch big enough for RL, huge French population in London, and London always buying into RL internationals) I think you'd sell it out, it would look good on TV, and everyone would have a great time. You'd have the issue of getting the French to be consistently competitive, but at some point we have to bite the bullet on that one and just get the games on. We could do things on our end like picking an experimental squad, younger players ("We're giving the senior guys a rest after a long season"), leaving the NRL-based guys out of it, that sort of thing. And the thing is if we do that when playing outside of the heartlands the locals won't really be too aware or even concerned by it.

• Like 4

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

54 minutes ago, George Watt said:

Yesterday all 16 NRL clubs supported the NRL and NZRL board decision not to attend the WC. They all  want the competition to be played next year.

The NRL clubs biggest concern right now will be that they are on the cusp of the first NRL round to be rescheduled as far as I can remember.

26 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The NRL clubs biggest concern right now will be that they are on the cusp of the first NRL round to be rescheduled as far as I can remember.

3 day lockdown and looking at moving them to Sunday, though I'm sure some bright spark at the NRL will suggest extending the season by a month to solve the WC problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

3 day lockdown and looking at moving them to Sunday, though I'm sure some bright spark at the NRL will suggest extending the season by a month to solve the WC problem.

"Unfortunately, in order to build flexibility into the season we're moving the Grand Final to 23rd October.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

And guarantee player welfare of course.

"We owe it to our players to optimise their safety in these difficult and trying times"

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"We owe it to our players to optimise their safety in these difficult and trying times"

"This will mean we also need to postpone the start and end of the 2022 season so have asked the RLWC be further postponed until 2023"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

"This will mean we also need to postpone the start and end of the 2022 season so have asked the RLWC be further postponed until 2023"

That was actually Gould's response when somebody said the WC can't compete against the FIFA equivalent in 2022.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Absolutely agree on both parts in bold. The mix for me would be when our SH "friends" come over... (and they will as there is money to be made on a nation vs nation Test Series). Then your NW, NE & ANO is a perfect fit.

France et al... I'd be a little bit bolder and take it to those development areas, where ever they may be.

I do think modest London grounds should be good for the likes of France. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Watt said:

Yesterday all 16 NRL clubs supported the NRL and NZRL board decision not to attend the WC. They all  want the competition to be played next year.

Where the same money wont be on the table and it will be lost in the other, bigger world cup.

They actually just don't want it played at all. Watching watch NRL they arent even bothering to talk  about this; doesn't get mentioned on their daily NRL 360, NRL tonight etc programmes... and theyve cancelled all their games today because of covid. !

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

I just heard the 3 remaining NRL subscription holders in the UK were devastated when they woke to this news today.

So I signed up for a year a couple of months ago! 

I've just emailed them and told them they Murdoch needs to at least give me my money back for this morning.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

I just heard the 3 remaining NRL subscription holders in the UK were devastated when they woke to this news today.

I'm guessing one of them is Adrian Lam.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thebrewxi said:

Where the same money wont be on the table and it will be lost in the other, bigger world cup.

They actually just don't want it played at all. Watching watch NRL they arent even bothering to talk  about this; doesn't get mentioned on their daily NRL 360, NRL tonight etc programmes... and theyve cancelled all their games today because of covid. !

Another risk of postponing, will they come next year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

2023 is the Union World Cup, so it'll have to be moved to 2024 instead.