Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

5 seconds to Google....Bryan Carney has the one in the photo at home 😉

150px-Great_Britain_rugby_league_crest.png

eng_pl_GREAT-BRITAIN-RUGBY-RL-PUMA-SHIRT-XL-41313_1.jpg

The tour was in 2019... You keep brining up things from old tours as if it has relevance to the 2019 one... Anyway back to the thread.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i really hope we can ride this out and put on a great world cup this will probably be my last chance to see us win something in this country, and if we win it, in 5 years time no one will give a flying #### if the aussies were in it.

• Like 4

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

International development NRL style:

The name Tas Baitieri has been a fixture in Pacific rugby league circles since the turn of the century and his drive to develop the game in the region has been unparalleled.

So the NRL's decision to get rid of his role as International Development Manager has stunned many, with the NRL's Country Manager in Samoa, Maika Felise stunned by the decision.

"I'm just speechless. Filling his shoes is going to be very hard because he knew how to treat Pacific people and he knew how to get through to them about what he wants to do in the Pacific with rugby league," he told Pacific Beat.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio-australia/programs/pacificbeat/pacific-rugby-league-shock-over-tas-baitieri-redundancy/12875102

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Thank you Damien. Just watched it … he's very impressive.

I'm hoping beyond hope that RLWC 2021 can go ahead in some form … as well all know now, it's up to the players to save it.

I wonder if a 14-team tournament is also being considered?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Thank you Damien. Just watched it … he's very impressive.

I'm hoping beyond hope that RLWC 2021 can go ahead in some form … as well all know now, it's up to the players to save it.

I wonder if a 14-team tournament is also being considered?

I also wonder who (apart from Troy Grant, I presume) he is referring to when he says he has "people on the ground" in Australia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

The name Tas Baitieri has been a fixture in Pacific rugby league circles since the turn of the century and his drive to develop the game in the region has been unparalleled.

So the NRL's decision to get rid of his role as International Development Manager has stunned many, with the NRL's Country Manager in Samoa, Maika Felise stunned by the decision.

"I'm just speechless. Filling his shoes is going to be very hard because he knew how to treat Pacific people and he knew how to get through to them about what he wants to do in the Pacific with rugby league," he told Pacific Beat.

In a statement to Pacific Beat it(the NRL) said "A Pacific Programs Manager and Pacific Programs Coordinator will be based in Australia, and teams of development and community program staff employed in Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and Papua New Guinea through our partnership with the Australian Government."

As long as they employ appropriate people I don`t have a problem. There are many complaints within the League community that Pacific Islander/Maori and Aboriginal are under represented in administrative roles. This may be part of the strings attached to Oz Gov`t funding.

We recently had the popular and intelligent Andrew Langmack up here doing development work, a shuffling, shambolic, disheveled character you ever saw, just awful as a face for the code, but as I said, he was always popular. I`m just hoping the NRL just doesn`t start handing out jobs for the boys based on popularity contests or who needs it the most.

Edited by The Rocket

10 hours ago, Damien said:

He does come across well and, at least, in control of what the options are and very clear about explaining them. I know we know but it would have been nice if he could have had a few more seconds to explain just how unwieldy the 'simple' move to 2022 would be.

What I didn't hear, because I don't think he really has the answer (because I'm not sure there can be one) is what is left other than appealing to the players' sense of adventure and patriotism and whether that really will be enough to get past an NRL/ARLC determined to make sure the World Cup either doesn't happen or happens without any NRL players.

(I'm also prepared to admit I was wrong last night. Whilst I'm not going to coronate him RFL chief tomorrow, he came across so much better than I can remember anybody else in a position of authority in this game ever doing.)

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I am just so fortunate the investigative, leave no stone unturned, Australian media have been able to talk to anonymous senior players & an anonymous biosecurity expert & also the 16 clubs getting involved now.

This all makes sense now & I can understand the decision now not to go🤣

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Suspect the point is that the NFL think it's safe to some over to the UK.

It would be worth making the point that no tickets for the NRL International Series (First game on 10th October) are currently on sale and also at the point of posting this the US Government advises against their citizens travelling to the UK.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/united-kingdom-travel-advisory.html

The RLWC may not be the only international event canclelled in 2021.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

A good sign that the World Cup may be going ahead:

Fourteen Kaiviti Silktails players have been named in the Vodafone Fiji Bati extended squad to prepare for the World Cup in England scheduled for later this year.

The Silktails players are Jili Temesia,Vuate Karawalevu,Tomasi Vunicagi,Penioni Tagituimua,Pio Seci,Ralulu Nasoki,Apakuki Tavodi,Apimeleki Lutu,Waisale Vesikula,Josh Taboiliku,Malakai Kovekalou and Josh Waqavesui.

Bati Head Coach, Joe Rabele has also reached out to players to confirm their availability to represent Fiji in the Rugby League World Cup.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby/14-silktails-in-bati-rlwc-extended-squad/

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

It would be worth making the point that no tickets for the NRL International Series (First game on 10th October) are currently on sale and also at the point of posting this the US Government advises against their citizens travelling to the UK.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/united-kingdom-travel-advisory.html

The RLWC may not be the only international event canclelled in 2021.

Yeah, but hey still intend to come if they possibly can - unlike the Australians.

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sally Bolton Syndrome strike again.

Yup. Dutton, like Bolton was part of the RFL that people call incompetent for many years prior to them doing a good job at the World Cup. 

It's almost like it's not the people, but the level of investment. 

But if we are going to just judge based on individual events, the 2016 4N was utterly uninspiring, with an opening crowd of 5.5k, a double header crowd of 21k, and an Olympic Stadium crowd that was almost 10k down for a game against the Aussies. Dutton was the leader of that tournament. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

and an Olympic Stadium crowd that was almost 10k down for a game against the Aussies

To be fair though Dave, the 'Roos might've decided not to come to London with four minutes notice so the fans were just getting in first!

• Sad 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup. Dutton, like Bolton was part of the RFL that people call incompetent for many years prior to them doing a good job at the World Cup. 

But if we are going to just judge based on individual events, the 2016 4N was utterly uninspiring, with an opening crowd of 5.5k, a double header crowd of 21k, and an Olympic Stadium crowd that was almost 10k down for a game against the Aussies. Dutton was the leader of that tournament. 

As with anything, investment of resources and time make a hell of a difference. The 2016 4N was run by the RFL, so a very different working environment to the WC where he has had more control - pretty much been given free reign. Dutton probably also learned a lot from 2016 4N as well, experience is invaluable.    

• Like 1

Just now, Whippet13 said:

As with anything, investment of resources and time make a hell of a difference. The 2016 4N was run by the RFL, so a very different working environment to the WC where he has had more control - pretty much been given free reign. Dutton probably also learned a lot from 2016 4N as well, experience is invaluable.    

The World Cups are RFL run events though, we just set up a splinter organising committee. 

Dutton was part of the 2013 team too. 

Nigel Wood was Tournament Director for 2013 for example. 

33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Glad you mentioned 2016 because it was absolutely sht. Dutton was in charge of that and he underperformed badly. The big difference this time is that he has a big budget, a large supporting team and access to people via the government pathway. In 2016 he probably had Nige, a work experience kid and a couple of thousand in pound coins from the back of the Red Hall waiting room sofas.

• Haha 1

Isn't it ironic the NRL are locked down in QLD Australia (at this stage to Sunday afternoon) playing to empty crowds while trying to do a backroom deal with a State Government to host the GF for the most $$$ - still not knowing who will be open for business then

It would be pretty sweet if the RLWC comes out & says its still on during this week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Damien said:

A good sign that the World Cup may be going ahead:

Fourteen Kaiviti Silktails players have been named in the Vodafone Fiji Bati extended squad to prepare for the World Cup in England scheduled for later this year.

The Silktails players are Jili Temesia,Vuate Karawalevu,Tomasi Vunicagi,Penioni Tagituimua,Pio Seci,Ralulu Nasoki,Apakuki Tavodi,Apimeleki Lutu,Waisale Vesikula,Josh Taboiliku,Malakai Kovekalou and Josh Waqavesui.

Bati Head Coach, Joe Rabele has also reached out to players to confirm their availability to represent Fiji in the Rugby League World Cup.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby/14-silktails-in-bati-rlwc-extended-squad/

Interesting that 14 Silktails have been named, a team massively affected by the COVID travel restrictions this year and yet pretty much the entire squad has agreed to tour. This seems to be yet another indication that players overwhelmingly want to play in the WC, in the Silktails case it will considerably boost their wages for the year and put them in the shop window for SL clubs as well. They are also a NSWRL Cup team and I've not seen anything by that organisation supporting the NRL. 

• Like 2