Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

11 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

FFS! So as usual the Aussies get what they want. Really hoped the organizers would make a stand on this. Should have known better 😡

• Like 1

Big worry if these reports are true. I trust the team did all they can to go ahead. Huge concerns that 1 nation can successfully run roughshod over a whole sport. I don't know how or if we can recover from that.

I have tickets to one Aus game in the World Cup. At present, I have little intention of attending.

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

The "right" vaccination policy is to get people vaccinated quickly, no idea what is so right about Australia's vaccination approach but I can see a lot wrong with it.

🤣

You have to laugh, don't you?

I don't know how governments get into threads except as an aside, the RLWC is in jeopardy because of the NRL. The question is not abour who did waht well but how does the IRL and the rest of the World respond to the withdrawal.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

50 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The plan is vaccination. It’s been a slow rollout and the success of eliminating widespread COVID for much of the last 18 months, moreso than most countries on this planet, has allowed the government the luxury to ensure that the right vaccination programme proceeds. 

The time is now to get moving on that strategy though and we are seeing uplift in vaccinations, so we will get there very soon.

That’s about all I’ve got to say about our Federal and individual State government’s plans for overcoming the threat of COVID.

Surely the answer is another hard lock down ? 🤣

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

And send the bill to the ARLC and NZRL

Yes , and as a sign of goodwill after all the trouble they’ve caused . I’m very angry and saddened by this outcome , it was totally unnecessary 

47 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You are right though. Radio silence on the subject. In saying that, even if it were proceeding with Australia in it, there wouldn’t be any news at the moment

The sad reality is that most of the Australian RL public probably don’t care that Australia is not attending. To residents in the middle of a lockdown, the decision dare I say it, probably makes sense. The news story at the moment is about the congested five teams chasing the final two spots of the NRL finals.

Many here think that is insular, I agree, but mindset is also testimony to the strength in popularity of the NRL over anything else.

International RL has been Mickey Mouse for years, despite some valiant attempts to give it the credit it deserves.

The difficulty in Aus is that there is a very crowded season to contend with and there will be no movement to the mid season SOO series, so all that leaves is outside the NRL season.

The prime issue (which you’ve highlighted with the Mickey Mouse label) is there isn’t much of an international game to speak of. Although the frustration with Aussies (and Kiwis under Aussie control) not playing is understandable here they are an easy target. 

The NRL is worth billions of Aussie dollars? The RLWC in contrast will make how much? If there isn’t a financial incentive then there has to be sporting one...

...Aussies have won every RLWC for the past 50 years bar one, and in that time GB haven’t beat Aussies in a series. 

Lack of competition, lack of money outside Australia, no wonder they are “inward looking” (they ain’t though, there just isn’t much reason to look outside). Throw in a pandemic that has seen Aussies take greater measures than most their decision not to attend is hardly a surprise.

If the RLWC generated let’s say a tenth of the $6 billion (US) the 2018 FIFA World Cup did, or if they weren’t pretty much guaranteed a place in the final with a high probability of winning it, you can be sure the Aussies would be making plans for the tournament. 

Their decision highlights the lopsided power/resources/profile/playing numbers the game has in Australia to the game outside it. If you remove Australia entirely from RL the sport would be left with what? 30% of what it currently is? Even less maybe. There just isn’t enough outside Australia to make them interested at the minute, and you cannot blame them.

• Thanks 1

Better than cancellation but what a ballache with reorganising venues etc.

On the plus side, I hope we see England have better prep than the pathetic Combined Nations effort, and that Super League and the RFL work together to ensure other NH nations can play warm-up games next year.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Oxford said:

There is little point to watching even the Greatest Game then.

And to that end less point in discussing it either.

I would show you my home page but 750 B doesn't allow it, and that's all about to change now.

I've been with Sky Sport because of RL since Gary Jack was playing for Balmain, I've been an SRD fan since about 1965 but all that changes today.

• Sad 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Should the NRL run International RL? Does the NRL even know they play rugby league in Chile!? Brazil Rugby League’s Rob Burgin and Michael Carbone of the Chasing Kangaroos podcast get some things off their chest, try to find solutions, and mention Gus Gould a dozen or so times.  https://anchor.fm/chasingkangaroos

Oh deal never mind the wife had purchased 500 tickets to the final for her corporate clients with 2 big events before and after the match + 2 shirt sponsorships for visiting teams 

With this and Toronto last year its been a bit of a ball ache however 100% commitment will still be there for next year:) 

Hopefully everything will be sorted out very quickly in terms  of dates for 2022, key now is to have the final one week before the start of the World Cup and for this to happen we will need the NRL on side as if it happens again its sadly goodnight Vienna:(

Rather than spend the next week on here being negative lets look to the future 🙂

Paul

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Better than cancellation but what a ballache with reorganising venues etc.

On the plus side, I hope we see England have better prep than the pathetic Combined Nations effort, and that Super League and the RFL work together to ensure other NH nations can play warm-up games next year.

Not just a ballache - I expect a huge financial cost too. 

Really hope that some England games can be set up for this Autumn.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

I'm sure Sky will be kind and show us the inevitable Australia, NZ, Tonga series.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Rather than spend the next week on here being negative lets look to the future

Alright, Pangloss

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Not just a ballache - I expect a huge financial cost too. 

Should be a priority. Ideally arrange fixtures against Scotland and Ireland, however I would expect the NRL based players that were supposedly in favour of attending may somehow show their cards.

Alternatively, a great opportunity for Tonga and Samoa to travel and demonstrate their commitment.

A five nations over four weeks with Eng, France, Tonga, Samoa and one other would be a great salvage. I hope it can get done.

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

The IRL should be including nations who missed out on qualifying or going with 14 and having cross pool fixtures. What is the point in trying to qualify if some teams that aren't even countries jump the queue? This is international sport not an exhibition.

The top Aussie and NZ players should be made to feel left out. That is what happens when your country pulls out without consulting you. 

Yes, I think that is the way to go. 

• Like 1