Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It´s also the tv. This year we are the event. Next year we´re barely the fifth most important thing happening, England association football will have played, commonwealth games. A fraction of the games will get shown. And if Dutton leaves before next year then he would have just washed his hands of it. Come out and say it´s on, or the NRL can hand over a 25 million quid bond, plus pay for the wages of all the staff for another year. 

well yes but it could be an opportunity. In that lots of focus on sport and sporting events... so the public appetite should be increased following all the publicity around sporting events of one type or another. A good opportunity to sell to a "wetted appetite"...

Grab the opportunity on the back of the sporting awareness or just give up and say we are doomed...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I keep hearing that the RLWC is up against lots of other tournaments next year but they aren't all on the same time, and nor are they all in the UK.

The general public doesn't really care about tournaments - I'm thinking about the Olympics in particular - until they are actually on, or perhaps a few days beforehand. 

2022 is not ideal but it's doable.

This is my view too. 

Is it ideal? Of course not. Could it be the least worst option? Quite possibly. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Sponsors might wonder why they are paying the same price for an event that will get virtually no media coverage or when they can just sponsor the commonwealth games instead or any of the dozen events next year. 

We don't know what the media coverage would be for 2022.

Assuming it doesn't clash with the FIFA World Cup, I can see no reason why the BBC wouldn't stay committed to showing all 61 games. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

All true. But a lot of people already feel that about this year. 

There's a lot of bravado on here about how we can just carry on without Australia and NZ, largely because we don't want to feel bullied by them. I get that, I feel it too. 

But outside regular RL circles the 2021 tournament is dead already. 

No good outcomes left, the NRL has seen to that, just looking for the least bad ones now. 

Yes, we're not party to what has been said to the organisers by the government re their funding, by the BBC re their broadcast contract, or by the various football clubs who've who have signed stadium rental contracts. So we have to trust Jon Dutton & the organising team to make the best decision and try to minimise the financial damage the NRL have caused here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It´s not dead because there´s zero evidence that the casual market gives a toss about Australia. It´s actually the tragic obsession with Australia that is out of whack. They do not matter and if England make a final the viewing figures will be a hell of alot higher than if it was Aus vs NZ anyway. 

We'll have to agree to differ. In my view it's just not credible to say the reputation and image of the tournament won't be harmed by Australia and New Zealand pulling out. It's our opportunity to showcase our best. We clearly won't be. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Assuming it doesn't clash with the FIFA World Cup, I can see no reason why the BBC wouldn't stay committed to showing all 61 games. 

I think they will honour that. It was always going to be a mix of FTA, red button and online.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The reality is that we're going to be up against football during the major selling period (the women's Euros - and bear in mind the Lionesses got 11m viewers in their last major tournament on FTA, and England rugby league ... didn't) and then up against it (Premier League then Qatar build-up) during it.

All whilst having not to appear ludicrously tinpot.

The RLWC lot have got a lot right so I've got more faith in them than I'd normally have in a rugby league project but ... talk about tying one hand behind your back ...

Surely still an opening game England vs. Samoa, big crowd, League at its` best, will get the public back on board, and especially since it is being played in your backyard.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Surely still an opening game England vs. Samoa, big crowd, League at its` best, will get the public back on board, and especially since it is being played in your backyard.

Every so often you - and others to be fair - give away that you really don't get just how small league is here and how big football is.

Football isn't just as big as the NRL is in NSW and Queensland. Football is as big as that *and also* as big as cricket *and also* as big as those two again. And then a bit more.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

It won´t because Australia and NZ will pull next year. Why are we giving five seconds to believe people who gave us 5 minutes notices. The leeches will cancel next year too, bank on it. 

Now that is a genuine concern, I agree.

No one can predict quite what the Covid situation will be, but we know now that we can't rely on the Australians to act in good faith. 

We can get away with one postponment - much bigger sports than ours have done it - but not two. 

We'll need strong guarantees or it's either cancellation or carry on in 2021.

The most crucial questions are: will the BBC and flagship sponsors like Cazoo remain on board for 2021 without Aus/NZ, and with who does the financial risk lie of ticket sales now fall short?

If the latter even remotely touches the RFL we need to run a mile from the tournament. 

11 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

All the back pages will be World cup build up and football. That´s it. 

it would be anyway in by far the majority of media... even now and no football at all except friendlies,

Its going to be hard but a good marketing organisation and able to fully utilise all the digital/social media can make a difference... with the right sort of programme and lead in. Of course that would require extra investment so don't know if can be afforded.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Every so often you - and others to be fair - give away that you really don't get just how small league is here and how big football is.

Football isn't just as big as the NRL is in NSW and Queensland. Football is as big as that *and also* as big as cricket *and also* as big as those two again. And then a bit more.

Yeah I`ve been told that a few times now and it`s easy to forget, probably a little like what League faces in Victoria, one column 6 pages in from the back

Having said that, my point was that you wouldn`t be expecting the whole country to come on board, but a flash opening ceremony, cracking opening game involving your home team, could generate enough interest to get us through a successful tournament. Christ get Kate and Harry there, that`s what they are for, isn`t it, patrons ?

England going on a winning streak wouldn`t hurt either, build a bit of momentum. 

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

The key is the broadcasters and sponsors...

I mean as for potential fans anybody I speak too outside of my RL circle didn't and haven't a clue their was to be a RLWC. So it won't impact the potential non RL sporting fan base. Although I know the competition of other sports will be a factor but could as said before be something we could use to advantage.

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I keep hearing that the RLWC is up against lots of other tournaments next year but they aren't all on the same time, and nor are they all in the UK.

The general public doesn't really care about tournaments - I'm thinking about the Olympics in particular - until they are actually on, or perhaps a few days beforehand. 

2022 is not ideal but it's doable.

What world do you live in !!! we wont get a better chance then this Autumn to showcase Rugby League, you cant have it both ways moan don't get enough media coverage then happy where going up against the Football World cup plus other events. 2022 is bloody stupid time to have it full stop.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Lots of different groups responsible for all that, though. Some of them lack ability, and some of have acted with sheer willful malice. 

But John Dutton's RLWC team has been one of the rare positives in recent times, and if they  - knowing the reality of the finances and logistics  - decide that postponing is the least worst option, then I think they've earned the right to be trusted. 

Let me be quite clear, I do not blame the organisers one bit. They couldn't have delivered more when it came to this World Cup. That doesn't mean its not nigh on impossible to sustain my interest going forward in the sport. There is only so many times you can watch it shoot itself in the foot and over the last decade its been time and again.

My interest has severely waned in recent years and every major decision seems to make it diminish further. As is I've watched far more NRL than Super League the last years but there is zero chance of that now.

• Like 4

So if its correct its off till next year i take it all the football clubs are on board with this ? because for arguments sake St James Park is not available then whats the plan for the opening game plus people who have bought tickets for the double header that weekend.

Literally the only reason we, like our Cousins on the dark side, have our World Cups in odd years is to actively avoid the 3 biggest sporting Events in the world - the World Cup, the Olympics and the Euros. 

Their must be some seriously optimistic maths to think going up against a FIFA World Cup that England will have a realistic chance of winning is anything but a hiding to nowhere. 

England should not tour Australia, and not give the Kiwis their regular financial boost everytime they tour here. This is the new Super League War.

• Like 3

I've bought quite a few tickets for the tournament, if I'm honest and I don't take glee in this, if it's postponed I will be asking for a refund rather than moving my tickets to next year.

The opportunity to have several hundred quid back at the moment is too tempting over waiting to see if it actually does happen next year.

Whether I end up buying tickets again next year is another story but it's not guaranteed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devon Ram said:

So if its correct its off till next year i take it all the football clubs are on board with this ? because for arguments sake St James Park is not available then whats the plan for the opening game plus people who have bought tickets for the double header that weekend.

St James's park, Elland Road, Old Trafford, the Emirates, Anfield, Bramall Lane, KC Stadium, Middlesbrough, York, Coventry, Doncaster, Bolton, Huddersfield all risk being wiped out.

5 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Literally the only reason we, like our Cousins on the dark side, have our World Cups in odd years is to actively avoid the 3 biggest sporting Events in the world - the World Cup, the Olympics and the Euros. 

Their must be some seriously optimistic maths to think going up against a FIFA World Cup that England will have a realistic chance of winning is anything but a hiding to nowhere. 

England should not tour Australia, and not give the Kiwis their regular financial boost everytime they tour here. This is the new Super League War.

I mean, I admire and agree with your fighting spirit, but the last time (GB) toured down under the Aussies asked us not to bother visiting, and the NZRL have clearly decided that their long term financial interest is being a sub division of Australia. 

It's a war that the other side isn't even interested in fighting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toby Chopra said:

I mean, I admire and agree with your fighting spirit, but the last time (GB) toured down under the Aussies asked us not to bother visiting, and the NZRL have clearly decided that their long term financial interest is being a sub division of Australia. 

It's a war that the other side isn't even interested in fighting. 

I agree to be honest, but moving the world cup is capitulation.

• Like 1