Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

If we want a positive angle to focus on in all this misery, just imagine the scenes if we did beat Australia in the final next year after all this!

The Aussie will find an excuse not to come next year as well and so will the Kiwis

When the Aussie say jump the Kiwis say how high

• Like 2

I believe the WC can be held in 2021. It wouldn't be as profitable as a full compliment of teams but I doubt it would run at a loss if it went ahead. The only other reason it would be delayed if there were mass defections of attendees but I don't think that would happen. I think the monetary side and maximising the return would be a major factor in the decision to postpone. 

I think the committee has also tried too hard to appease and seek consensus. In the process, the protracted wait for a decision only to it putting it back a year has come across to me as somewhat feeble, when decisive leadership was needed. If true, I don't feel any interest in the 2022 version. I may feel more positive in a years time but right now total loss of interest in it. 

• Like 7

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Or Australia is still in lock down..

Mates down under reckon 2022 before they even THINK ABOUT travel.

Going to get the same next year.

So now they get a ANZAC / Pacific test series in November and the NH get a game against  France at Leigh.🙁🙁

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's your money so you've every right to do as you wish. But I hope if people do decide to ask for refunds it's for genuine financial reasons and not some misguided attempt at revenge on the Aussies.

Sinking our own World Cup on purpose is the quickest route to giving the NRL everything it wants. 

Its not just financial, I have tickets to several games and would happily roll them over, but a mate who was going to the opener with me works shifts and most of his holidays are rostered so he may not be able to commit to next year. Ditto for another mate who was going to Anfield, The Emirates and the final on tickets I booked. I even booked a student ticket for the opener for someone who won't be a student next year. Therefore I may have to ask for a refund to get the money back for others that cannot commit reasons other than financial.

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

No he didn’t.

As far i know Paley hasn't posted on here in any form since he lasted posted as Paley, if that makes sense. He got uptight about something and that was it, and he walked away. I did hear he was posting on a union site mainly about non sporting matters, or that's what i heard, but i enjoyed his posts on here, sadly we have seen the last of his postings on these forums

OK Lets move on

Edited by lucky 7

Am guessing no NRL players being released is the key thing for postponement. 

Feels like the international game is heading for some tough times with the ARLC seemingly winning out here.

I’d suggest the RFL try and schedule mid season tests/tour with one of the PI nations. Around Origin time maybe, but imagine the NRL clubs would put the kibosh on such a thing. Everything will now be on their terms.

Again, if this whole episode doesn’t focus the minds and motivate the RFL to sort out the long term strategy for the club game and England RL and how the two grow then they deserve everything they get.

The opportunities are still their for Rugby League, but they’ve been there before and the games administration have never been able to recognise and grasp those opportunities.

I say again. Invest in the right people and invest in the game.

• Like 4

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, Devon Ram said:

What about all those hotels across the country who have bookings for match weekends especially Newcastle with 2 games on opening weekend, booked mine when they said it was on !!!

What you are saying people that go to Rugby League don't go to Football ?

I was referring to the sponsor point. 

Had tickets, flights( from Holland) and hotels booked for last year's  Aussie games (or was it the year before ?times stood still ) different circumstances but the  outcome is the same 😡

Held back on the WC.

Glad I did now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I presume so too. I have no doubt that the RLWC would have gone ahead, even with the Australia and NZ withdrawals, if the NRL had freely allowed players to play for the remaining countries.

• Like 4

Don't think it's too gloomy having WC next year. BBC should still be showing same number of games, Qatar WC doesn't start to Nov 13th, most of RLWC will be done. The warm up games for Home Nations for Qatar will be on Sky. The Premier League would have been a factor this year anyway,  so no change there. The only problem might be securing football grounds,  because they'll be squeezing in games before the 6 week close down,  2 weeks for warm ups and 4 for the tournament. So getting the grounds might be tricky. On the other hand , see below. 

October 2022 - MOTD 

GARY LINEKER ( to camera) " before our next game, just a reminder that the BBC is the only place to bring you double World Cup coverage. Qatar starts in 6 weeks but before then we have..." 

RLWC TRAILER SHOWN.

LINEKER " Yes two world cups,  let's get behind our home nation teams"

ALAN SHEARER " absolutely Gary, looking forward to it"

LINEKER " now our next game,  bottom two teams of the Premier League, Manchester United and Arsenal " ( well I can but hope)😀

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Don't think it's too gloomy having WC next year. BBC should still be showing same number of games, Qatar WC doesn't start to Nov 13th, most of RLWC will be done. The warm up games for Home Nations for Qatar will be on Sky. The Premier League would have been a factor this year anyway,  so no change there. The only problem might be securing football grounds,  because they'll be squeezing in games before the 6 week close down,  2 weeks for warm ups and 4 for the tournament. So getting the grounds might be tricky. On the other hand , see below. 

October 2022 - MOTD 

GARY LINEKER ( to camera) " before our next game, just a reminder that the BBC is the only place to bring you double World Cup coverage. Qatar starts in 6 weeks but before then we have..." 

RLWC TRAILER SHOWN.

LINEKER " Yes two world cups,  let's get behind our home nation teams"

ALAN SHEARER " absolutely Gary, looking forward to it"

LINEKER " now our next game,  bottom two teams of the Premier League, Norwich no surprise there and Arsenal " ( well I can hope)😀

Just need to add the line about Australia and its colony not coming in 2022 because it will be cold and wet . Player welfare. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

I thought for example Jason Taumalolo said he would come. I understood they couldn't stop players attending. Some would yield but others not. So no NRL players would be allowed? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

So the soft bstards aren't coming ? , bloody wusses , can't wait for them to run out next year if they have the bottle 

Although it's the players who will get the ' verbals ' , not the soft arseed bosses 

1 hour ago, Nate90 said:

I simply don't trust the NRL to not pull the same  again next year.

Thats the real issue here.

Even the Aussies aren't hiding behind covid anymore- its about giving players a rest so they are ready for preseason games with their clubs. Now we know the NRL control all RL why should they send their players over in 2022?

The other issue is how will France ever get any support or sponsorship for the 2025 WC if the NRL can just cancel the tournament with a few hours notice - this could also destroy any French expansion as well as affecting the UK game.

All because the NRL want to stage some pre-season friendly games....

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The other issue is how will France ever get any support or sponsorship for the 2025 WC if the NRL can just cancel the tournament with a few hours notice - this could also destroy any French expansion as well as affecting the UK game.

Yes that the part that worries me, the effect on the French WC planning. The French Gov`t are going to want to see a successful WC in England before they commit too much to their own tournament.

Now here`s my take on it as an Australian.

Yes you are all right, this is a power grab about the NRL wanting to dictate terms and especially about releasing players, but the Australians and Kiwis will turn up next year, and everyone else from down here. The NRL would know that players want to represent their country and also play on the big-stage out of OZ. They can deny them that this year, but not forever or there will be a revolt.

So start thinking about next year and how it can be made to happen.

If the decision is to cancel, that's the worst outcome. It will be no different next year and maybe the sponsors all ready on board will give it a miss and rightly so.

• Like 1