Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I recall the other time the Aussies decided they wouldn't support internationals in November. England organised a credible tournament of England, Wales and France

Which year was this because I'm struggling to remember the details?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Last paragraph is so dramatic. I love RL so much that i now want the best bit to fail.. 

Theyve pulled out and with all the context, its an understandable decision. I dont agree or like it, but i can understand it.

The whole sport is a huge mess, the one successful element is trying to maintain that in a complex landscape and even more complex pandemic. 

I don't want RL to fail, the actions of RL make its continued success less likely.

What context? The context of the other major international sporting events going ahead this year? The context of Australians and Kiwis of virtually every sport going to these events? The only context is the NRL pre-season.

One League maintaining "success" whilst sabotaging the rest of the sport (which considering the World cup is where the IRL gets the vast majority of its funding from that it distributes all over the world), isn't to be lauded in my book. Big fishes, tiny pond.

• Like 2

Hopefully there’s not too much hassle with the rearranging of the tournament in terms of dates, venues and the like. 

As for what happens internationally in the northern hemisphere, there should be games. There should be every year, mind, so that’s not a big statement to make. I do fear though that the apathy towards the game and the crowds we’ve seen since the return of fans combined could mean we see relatively poor crowds if there are games. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

How about a tri tournament this Autumn, exile/all stars, France and England? 

I think supporters may get behind something to show defiance to down under

Yeah, thats how i decide to spend my time... if i go to this event, will it show 'defiance' to people who really dont care.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hopefully there’s not too much hassle with the rearranging of the tournament in terms of dates, venues and the like. 

As for what happens internationally in the northern hemisphere, there should be games. There should be every year, mind, so that’s not a big statement to make. I do fear though that the apathy towards the game and the crowds we’ve seen since the return of fans combined could mean we see relatively poor crowds if there are games. 

Hull, Leigh and Bolton are really exciting venues in thriving cities that i cant wait to go to on a last minute whim. 

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I recall the other time the Aussies decided they wouldn't support internationals in November. England organised a credible tournament of England, Wales and France

It was shown live on the BBC. I enjoyed it, but it got rubbish crowds and people lacked interest. 

There is a risk something similar this year would be worse, maybe no NRL players. 

There was nothing credible about it on the pitch. If I recall correctly England played 3 games, Wales & France, then France again in the final, and won those games by a combined score of 170-20 including putting 80 odd past Wales.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, MattSantos said:

I will and thats why i wont be going

You mustn’t get to watch much rugby then if you’re more bothered about the towns and cities games are played in than the product on the pitch. I’ll look forward to watching Australia, PNG, Tonga and Fiji while you look at libraries and bus stations. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It's possible the clash FIFA world cup might actually help in that regard. The Premier League winter break will probably start around 10th November-ish, which should mean the Emirates, Anfield and Old Trafford are all available for the latter stages of the tournament. 

• Like 2

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'd be okay with taking the hit on rubbish crowds just to give England any kind of momentum.

They have to organise *something*.

(And not put it on half in apology).

I agree, if we are happy to stage world cup games next year with these teams, we should do something this year. 

It's clear the England team need a bit of work too! 

14 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

.. "i cant wait for the NRL to be overan by Soccer" etc etc. Make your mind up.

I can't, they might wake up and realise there's a world outside of Australasia and in some bits they play RL and it might be worth playing against them on regular occasions. They certainly don't see that now.

9 minutes ago, Derwent said:

There was nothing credible about it on the pitch. If I recall correctly England played 3 games, Wales & France, then France again in the final, and won those games by a combined score of 170-20 including putting 80 odd past Wales.

So speaks an RL fan who refuses to enjoy RL, but it was credible in the sense of ebobg properly organised, full teams, national TV coverage etc. 

Game at Hull KR mind. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You mustn’t get to watch much rugby then if you’re more bothered about the towns and cities games are played in than the product on the pitch. I’ll look forward to watching Australia, PNG, Tonga and Fiji while you look at libraries and bus stations. 

Im talking about potential games at the end of this year, but aye, ill watch big games in good venues. Time is precious and i cant justify it and certainly cant sell a weekend away to Bolton to a neutral. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Super League based opponents to play England?

Wales, Ireland, France, Jamaica

Scotland at a push.

Of those I reckon its France and Ireland tied at the top for the toughest fixtures.

Jamaica, +1 other ... call it a World Series of Rugby League.

Make it a celebration where the results don't count for too much but it's all about development and visibility.

Women and wheelchair matches too.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I can't, they might wake up and realise there's a world outside of Australasia and in some bits they play RL and it might be worth playing against them on regular occasions. They certainly don't see that now.

So you do or do not want RL to fail? Be honest...

I am at the stage where i couldnt care

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Jamaica, +1 other ... call it a World Series of Rugby League.

Make it a celebration where the results don't count for too much but it's all about development and visibility.

Women and wheelchair matches too.

Should probably be some good will events at the arenas and stadiums that we can use too.

Can someone tell me, if the WC went ahead as planned and England won it, when is their next game and who against?

Is there a calendar in play to take us to the next one?

There is no calendar. There's not even a confirmed World Cup in 2025.

Wouldn't matter anyway if the NRL decide not to release players because they're needed for preseason trials.

• Like 1

There we go again! Tell us, do you want the sport to fail? Because if it does in Aus, as you have clearly said you want, as a commercial enterprise it fails in the north of England, too. 

Its already failing commercially in the north of England - that ship I fear has sailed. We're already talking of going down to just 10 professional teams.

The World Cup really could have been the shot in the arm the sport here (and indeed in the rest of the world) so desperately needed. That has been sabotaged unilaterally by 16 NRL clubs. I can't wait for a time where they can't exist in blissful ignorance that the rest of the world exists.

• Like 2