Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Just now, gingerjon said:

There is no calendar. There's not even a confirmed World Cup in 2025.

Wouldn't matter anyway if the NRL decide not to release players because they're needed for preseason trials.

Did the NRL propose an International calendar?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Just now, MattSantos said:

Did the NRL propose an International calendar?

Anyone can propose an international calendar.

I think the last one the NRL proposed in detail had the Kangaroos touring England in 2019.

That must have been brilliant.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Can someone tell me, if the WC went ahead as planned and England won it, when is their next game and who against?

Is there a calendar in play to take us to the next one?

I wonder why there is no calendar?? Hmm why could that be?? Hmmm?? I'm sure there was after 2017.

I wonder why the whole planned calendar was changed in 2019? Who could have decided that?

• Haha 2

The RFL and the game in this country needs to build up its stock of regular credible opposition.

Despite the presence of NRL players the likes of Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and (less reliance on NRL players) PNG should still remain as possible regular opponents.

tests/short tours by any of the above could easily be profitable. If approached and executed correctly.

France is our most obvious opponent to build up competition with. It’s ridiculous it’s taken something like this to force the discussion around more and regular games. 
We won’t build up that competition by playing games midweek as a rushed addition to an already structured calendar.

IMO Games against the home nations will not bear any fruit until the game invests in those nations properly. 

Short term - look to structure regular games against PI nations and France.

long term - invest in the development of the home nations while playing regular club and International games in those countries. Development here can be linked to SL development.

After this whole episode I wouldn’t be currently looking to play Australia or NZ outside a tournament. Any respect and trust for both governing bodies has gone.

I do however feel this is all about certain individuals within the game in Australia. People come and go. Hopefully those people go sooner rather than later. 

• Like 4

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I wonder why there is no calendar?? Hmm why could that be?? Hmmm?? I'm sure there was after 2017.

I wonder why the whole planned calendar was changed in 2019? Who could have decided that?

Was there no calendar or was it changed? Cant be both

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s nothing wrong with any of the venues, towns and cities picked for the postponed Rugby League World Cup in the U.K.

Each was appropriate for the kind of games that were being put on.

Self-hate is not a healthy thing.

No one is saying they werent. 

So, anyway, perhaps RFL could organise a mini-comp - maybe a couple of Oceania Cup-style round robins consisting of World Cup nations, eg England, France, Wales, Jamaica, Ireland, Scotland?

If it's too late organise such a thing, perhaps an England vs. France 'triple-header' - men, women and wheelchair? 

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not sure, but it does seem like playing France in France would be better for them and more challenging for us.

Exactly. Especially if Catalan do well and Toulouse get promoted. Build on that momentum.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Exactly. Especially if Catalan do well and Toulouse get promoted. Build on that momentum.. 

Yes, it all sounds good if we can do it at late notice and convince the best broadcaster possible to pick up the game(s).

The BBC may yet want a World Cup alternate based on these shores and so might sponsors - it needs to work financially too.

I do think wheelchair rugby league could also find a space especially as England and France are at a very high standard.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

13 hours ago, yanto said:

Mates down under reckon 2022 before they even THINK ABOUT travel.

Going to get the same next year.

So now they get a ANZAC / Pacific test series in November and the NH get a game against  France at Leigh.🙁🙁

England may play in Leigh, but Australia will play in Campbelltown or Penrith. 😩

At least Australia can play SOO next year & work on there combinations to be ready for the World Cup.

Then we'll hear the commentators say 'Australia is rolling through there opposition today like a well oiled machine.'

Well if you play SOO 3 years in a row and no one else it does give you a leg up🤣

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

There we go again! Tell us, do you want the sport to fail? Because if it does in Aus, as you have clearly said you want, as a commercial enterprise it fails in the north of England, too. 

At the moment when the NRL is doing its upmost to make the sport to fail internationally and do not give a damn about the consequences, with some fans and pundits in Australia relishing this, you cant blame people if they aren't too enamoured with the NRL.

I was always of the opinion that a strong NRL would be great for the game. A rising tide lifts all ships and all that. I thought the NRL becoming the most powerful Rugby league of either code would be great for the game and would allow the game to fight RU and would keep our stars in the game. Yet in recent years the NRL has done more damage than RU could ever do and proposes to do even more going forward. There is zero benefit to a strong NRL for the rest of the game if the NRL abuses that position to strangle and stifle the international game. Similarly there is zero benefit to all these PI players if the PI nations are never allowed to play games.

The perverse thing is that the game has never been stronger internationally from a player and team point of view but is now weaker than it has ever been. That is solely down to the actions of the NRL.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Can someone tell me, if the WC went ahead as planned and England won it, when is their next game and who against?

Is there a calendar in play to take us to the next one?

England and NZ tried to do their own thing with the Denver test to remove their reliance on Australia and develop their own thing. That wasn't even good enough for the NRL who did all they could do sabotage that and ensure it would never take place again. The NZRL were thoroughly admonished and judging by the World Cup will never cross Australia again.

Others may feel and act differently of course but this is my position. I will continue to watch on TV as many International, SL and NRL games as I can, and attend as many games in person where my health and personal Covid safety considerations allow. To do otherwise is in my view to submit to the bullying of Vlandis and Gould and proving them right.

Of course, it's difficult not to feel anger, betrayal and disgust at the forces of cant and hypocrisy from Vlandis and Gould and co but i would not stoop so low as to send both of  them by post  a White feather in an envelope addressed "Private and confidential for the personal attention of Mr P Gould"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

So speaks an RL fan who refuses to enjoy RL, but it was credible in the sense of ebobg properly organised, full teams, national TV coverage etc. 

Game at Hull KR mind. 

What is enjoyable about one sided RL games ? When played between two fairly evenly matched teams then RL is the best game on the planet to watch, but when played between two completely mismatched teams then it is one of the worst.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

What is enjoyable about one sided RL games ? When played between two fairly evenly matched teams then RL is the best game on the planet to watch, but when played between two completely mismatched teams then it is one of the worst.

Other sports do manage to stage games that are foregone conclusions. I understand the point, and it will clearly be less attractive than a close game - but I disagree with your claims that it is not credible, just because it is not close. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Other sports do manage to stage games that are foregone conclusions.

England football's next game at Wembley is against Andorra.

I presume the FA aren't even bothering to sell tickets.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Shane Richardson's plan for international league, part of his recent report. He is a News Corp stooge and they are now partners of the NRL and looking to control the game.

I see every 4th year is a lay off for all players, instead of a World Cup maybe?????????

International-calendar.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2