Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

37 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Others may feel and act differently of course but this is my position. I will continue to watch on TV as many International, SL and NRL games as I can, and attend as many games in person where my health and personal Covid safety considerations allow. To do otherwise is in my view to submit to the bullying of Vlandis and Gould and proving them right.

Of course, it's difficult not to feel anger, betrayal and disgust at the forces of cant and hypocrisy from Vlandis and Gould and co but i would not stoop so low as to send both of  them by post  a White feather in an envelope addressed "Private and confidential for the personal attention of Mr P Gould"

I won’t be watching the NRL any time soon, but of course each ti their own. We should put NRL threads into cross code, given that they have their own rules on and off the pitch.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Shane Richardson's plan for international league, part of his recent report. He is a News Corp stooge and they are now partners of the NRL and looking to control the game.

I see every 4th year is a lay off for all players, instead of a World Cup maybe?????????

International-calendar.png

That becomes more pathetic everytime I look at it. 2, 3, 4, 5 is purely to benefit the NRL and has no positive effect on international RL.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

Actually they may want a World Cup but one in which they control, this is the agenda we have all suspected:

Once this is established we need to tie this into the international games (IG). This is my understanding of the history that creates many of the blockages today. The International Rugby League (IRL) is a body that should have an important role in the development of the international game. It doesn't. The breakdown started a long time ago when the ARL controlled and dominated the IG. They were not about growing the game but more concerned about the ARL and their clubs. Vested interests, blazers and overseas trips. It left a bitter taste in the RFL's mouth and justifiably so. When they had the opportunity to get the numbers and control, it was hardly surprising that they tried to set up a system of control in the Northern Hemisphere despite 75% of players being in the Southern Hemisphere. Australia's apathy for and mistrust in the management allowed them to control the system. They appointed a CEO based in London with no knowledge of the game or its politics. He was simply a puppet of the management’s “vision”. It became commercial suicide. Pouring money into European nations for little or no return. International games which were all mostly about money and political support, but in reality lost enormous amounts of money and smashed the IRL’s credibility with the ARLC. The World Cup is the only event that has kept the IRL afloat and it is in jeopardy. The reality is that 75% of participants in rugby league come from Australia, NZ and the Pacific Islands. To be fair, the investment of the ARLC in NZ and the Pacific Islands has fostered the game and improved it dramatically in those areas.This could not have been done without the support of the NRL clubs. To say that they don't support the IG is rubbish. What they don't support is the constant requests for their players without consultation and a business plan for IGs going forward. We need to create an international calendar which includes Tests, Origin, World Cup, Development Internationals and 9s. It should be a four year map incorporated in both the Northern and Southern Hemisphere calendars

Edited by rlno1

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Yeah, thats how i decide to spend my time... if i go to this event, will it show 'defiance' to people who really dont care.

Comment was a bit tongue in cheek 😋 

Joking aside I think we find reasons not to attend, if we really wanted to we would. I'm hopeful there's an appetite for this type of thing but I imagine we would only truely find out should it ever happen 

37 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Shane Richardson's plan for international league, part of his recent report. He is a News Corp stooge and they are now partners of the NRL and looking to control the game.

I see every 4th year is a lay off for all players, instead of a World Cup maybe?????????

This would be my version:

1. International Rugby League is the pinnacle of the game and should be the first priority when deciding on the games' seasons and calendar in both Australasia and Europe.

2. The World Cup - to be held every 4 years - is the largest and most important tournament and so all planning should start with these events secured and scheduled for at least the following 12 years.  The World Cup should be scheduled at the end of the Southern and Northern Hemisphere seasons.

3.  At least one Four Nations tournament to be held in each of the Northern and Southern Hemispheres between World Cup cycles and again played at the end of the regular seasons.  England, New Zealand and Australia to participate and European or Oceanic Cups can be played simultaneously with the winners eligible for the next 4 Nations in their Hemisphere.

4.  Individual tests or test series between nations can be scheduled mid season or at season end if there is no scheduled World Cup or 4 Nations.

5. Player welfare must be considered and all international games should take priority over club games.  Club games should not be scheduled to conflict with internationals if the internationals are played mid season.  Players should not play a representative game and club game in the same week to avoid fatigue and ensure that they do not play more games than their club colleagues.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

This is ultimately why I think the postponement rumours will turn out to be true. The NRL threats and pressure have just been too much. Full credit to the 3 guys that have put their hands up so far 👏👏:

Fiji Bati Head Coach, Joe Rabele confirms that three NRL players have contacted them regarding the Rugby League World Cup.

Rabele named an extended squad on Monday and gave players until Friday to confirm whether they can make the trip to England with the Bati.

Since yesterday only three out of the 15 NRL players have put their hands up for Bati duties which includes Bulldogs halfback Brandon Wakeham, Storm winger Isaac Lumelume and Warriors prop Kane Evans.

With Australia and New Zealand pulling out of the World Cup, Rabele is not sure whether other NRL players will be allowed to play for their countries.

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/rugby-league/three-nrl-players-confirm-availability/

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

That is laughable. Australia V NZ V England twice in 4 years? Is it 2003? We are finally in a position where Tonga, Fiji, Samoa & PNG could spring upsets against ‘the big 3’ on their day, a position we could only dream on 10 years ago. Should be a 4 nations at the very very least.

In saying that I think England should focus closer to home for a while, try and play 5-6 internationals a year in 20k+ stadia. Aim to bring France along with at least 2 games a year in the short term and put plans in place to help Wales and other promising European nations (and Jamaica) develop players long term.

“The World Cup is the only event which has kept the IRL afloat...” 

That is completely disingenuous. The World Cup makes the money which supports the international game (with its 60 odd members). It is the most successful event the game has had in over 100 years, and has allowed many players to play for their countries and many countries to benefit. As well as that, it generates enough money to subsidise the rest of the calendar. 

“And it is in jeopardy.” 

Because of the 4 minute warning NRL. 

So, to tweak this for accuracy, the World Cup has been an unqualified success, allowing the IG to grow as never before, and so we will crush it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Says it all really 

https://bit.ly/3A62ZfD

Nail . Head . Hit .

COVID my arris . The only role COVID has played here is as a smokescreen for their real intentions , quite shamefully . Gus gets a free pass because most influential people will agree with him . They need calling out like this excellent article 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Brilliant article. 

Phil Gould. The man makes me sick.

Indeed, it spells everything out too.  The game needs a counterweight to the NRL in the northern hemisphere, but unfortunately with the game in England and France so much poorer and weaker than down under SL can't provide that.

Edited by Big Picture

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Nail . Head . Hit .

COVID my arris . The only role COVID has played here is as a smokescreen for their real intentions , quite shamefully . Gus gets a free pass because most influential people will agree with him . They need calling out like this excellent article 

One comical aspect to this whole affair, is Gould's responses to outraged and suspicious tweets confirm the tweeters worst suspicions/fears.

The big mouthed oaf just can't resist banging on, so much so, that he's given their game away.

Shame on Australia (NRL/ARLC), shame on New Zealand (NZRL). 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That is complete garbage. I just cannot fathom how poor a suggestion this is.

It's because it isn't a real international plan. It is a plan that suppresses the international game to allow the NRL and Origin to carry on doing their thing. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rlno1 said:

He couldn’t get to 7 coz he ran out of room on his fag packet 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Yes, that gets it all across.

Who to?

What kind of readership do they have, do you know?

I'm just concerned that this outrage has been perpetrated against our own game, (from within) and Australia and New Zealand are oblivious of it.

Even RaRa couldn't accomplish a blow of this magnitude. 

But it looks as if they are going to get away with it Ging'.

Treason. 

Edited by fighting irish

With St James Park booked plus Kingston Park why don't they play England v France on the 23rd plus keep the Scotland v Italy game on the 24th try and salvage something from this diabolic mess sure all 4 teams would like to play a game. Could have a Ireland v Wales at one of the stadiums already booked Keepmoat or Leigh Sports it would give the teams a chance of a game if others interested something could be arranged ?

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hopefully there’s not too much hassle with the rearranging of the tournament in terms of dates, venues and the like. 

As for what happens internationally in the northern hemisphere, there should be games. There should be every year, mind, so that’s not a big statement to make. I do fear though that the apathy towards the game and the crowds we’ve seen since the return of fans combined could mean we see relatively poor crowds if there are games. 

Excuse me since crowds allowed you talk has thou its been months not about a week since grounds open to about 100%.