Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

These bits were interesting in the RLWC statement:

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) and the UK Government have today announced their intention to stage the flagship event in the international Rugby League calendar in 2022.

The extremely difficult decision was taken by the RLWC2021 Board, which includes representation from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and the International Rugby League (IRL) Board.

This follows extensive and urgent consultation conducted by RLWC2021 Chief Executive Officer Jon Dutton and his team, which engaged players, competing nations, the Rugby League Players Association (Australia), UK Government, hosts, commercial and broadcast partners.

Tournament organisers faced several unique and complex challenges with the most significant being the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.  

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams. A key factor was ensuring that fans of Rugby League are able to enjoy the best possible tournament, which was not possible under these circumstances.

We are working hard to confirm new tournament arrangements including ticket details and availability and will be providing updates as soon as can. Fans can sign-up to receive postponement updates, including new dates and schedule here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

These bits were interesting in the RLWC statement:

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) and the UK Government have today announced their intention to stage the flagship event in the international Rugby League calendar in 2022.

The extremely difficult decision was taken by the RLWC2021 Board, which includes representation from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and the International Rugby League (IRL) Board.

This follows extensive and urgent consultation conducted by RLWC2021 Chief Executive Officer Jon Dutton and his team, which engaged players, competing nations, the Rugby League Players Association (Australia), UK Government, hosts, commercial and broadcast partners.

Tournament organisers faced several unique and complex challenges with the most significant being the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.  

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams. A key factor was ensuring that fans of Rugby League are able to enjoy the best possible tournament, which was not possible under these circumstances.

We are working hard to confirm new tournament arrangements including ticket details and availability and will be providing updates as soon as can. Fans can sign-up to receive postponement updates, including new dates and schedule here.

Australian match officials certainly won't be missed

2 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.  

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams.

Damning and shameful behaviour 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

The only positive, and I am saying this as absolute scraps, is that a number of young England players like Newman, Oledzi etc. will have another year of top level RL behind them before they play in the big one.

The only positive out of this whole debacle IMO. I think England will be stronger next year.

45 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

NZRL signed a participation agreement and went back on it. Sanctions must follow.

Agreed.

14 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

I think as a mark of respect for this tournament being postponed the IRL should not allow any internationals to be played in Aus/NZ after the G/F this year.

If they do then we know they are the puppets with the NRL pulling all the strings

The IRL should blindside and pre-empt any NRL moves around the PI nations. They should fund and arrange a 4 nations for PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji away from NRL control. Show up all the NRL excuses to be nonsense when they put new obstacles in the way.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

The RLPA statement. I think it's clear the RLPA aren't happy with the NRL, by the fact they don't acknowledge or praise them whilst lavishing praise on the RLWC organisers. One thing is for certain, they have a huge say in how international RL develops going forward and I hope they can step up to the plate:

The RLPA would like to acknowledge the tremendous effort of the RLWC board, Jon Dutton, and the entire team to maintain the tournament’s viability up to this point. We appreciate and respect the inclusive and professional approach taken with players and their representative body during an incredibly challenging past 18 months.

Notwithstanding the disappointment of the decision for the International game and fans, we look forward to maintaining a strong and collaborative relationship with the RLWC in preparing for the men’s, women’s and wheelchair tournaments in 2022.

https://www.rlpa.com.au/rugby-league-world-cup/

• Like 5

Joey Manu is off contract next year. There`s a piece just up about his options on NRL.com by Dan Walsh which includes the following obligatory reference -

"The chance to chase an All Blacks dream similar to NZ teammate RTS has also been flagged".

As far as I`m aware, Manu has never played Union. He grew up in Tokoroa, of Cook Island descent, which is a quintessential League background.

For connoisseurs of the NRL mindset, there is nothing better than their coverage of NZ to lay bare the ingrained belief that RL is an Australian club game, whereas RU is an international game.

If you put it to Mr. Walsh that Joey might want to chase a dream with the Kiwis, you might as well be speaking a foreign language.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Paywalled, dude. Could you post the quote?

That is the quote, as I said it`s odd. Does go to show that not everyone is happy, especially if someone is putting their job on the line to say something. Does make you wonder why they call them journalists though, if they aren`t allowed to question anything that the NRL do, NRL mouth piece might be more appropriate.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

A sad, sad day but one we have been expecting. 

I can only take 1 positive from this. I think postponement will suit the England team more than anyone else. Let's face it preparation this year has been shambolic with SL games called off all over the place. This would have badly affected the England team compared to the NRL stacked teams that have barely been affected and played a full season. Plus our young players will be a year older too. I do think as a team England will be better for it.

I hope that all of this publicity will generate even more sales for next year. Without doubt more are now aware of the World Cup than they were 2 months ago. Next year simply has to go ahead no matter what tricks the NRL pull. Contingency plans need to be put in place and if sides have to be built around residence teams then so be it.

I also sincerely hope next year is the most profitable World Cup ever to give the IRL a bit of clout to push back against the NRL. The game needs a strong IRL now more than ever.

I was thinking the same re: our younger players. This whole affair, bizarrely, has also actually made me want to buy tickets even more!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

It appears that Australia pulling out of the WC has upset people from around the UK.

On the Daily Mail Online site there is an article by an Aussie hack called Mike Colman who has savaged the English cricket team for the suggestion that they might not tour Australia later in the year for The Ashes.

I was going to sign up so I could post a suitable response about the two faced article but to my surprise there are many comments from people all over the UK about the ARLC decision.

3 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

It appears that Australia pulling out of the WC has upset people from around the UK.

On the Daily Mail Online site there is an article by an Aussie hack called Mike Colman who has savaged the English cricket team for the suggestion that they might not tour Australia later in the year for The Ashes.

I was going to sign up so I could post a suitable response about the two faced article but to my surprise there are many comments from people all over the UK about the ARLC decision.

Did Australia ever sign up for the RLWC?

They were expected to attend but never signed up for it.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

It's so sad that the sport has to do this but the NRL obviously can't be trusted:

The chair of the International Rugby League, Troy Grant, said there were a range of sanctions available if a decision was made to punish the Kangaroos and Kiwis for effectively boycotting the event this year. But Dutton said he simply wanted guarantees they would take part no matter what the public health situation in 2022.

“We’d like agreements to be absolutely binding with signed participation agreements and we’ve already started work on that,” he said. “We’ve worked hard for six years to get the tournament into a great position.

“Into the weekend, it became apparent we couldn’t continue and that it wouldn’t have been the world-class event we’d hoped. The work now is about ensuring we have everything in place, such as the guarantees and conditions and we’re confident we’ll be able to do that. It’s beyond disappointing we can’t stage it this year.”

And according to this 85% of players wanted to play:

A survey by Australia’s Rugby League Players Association found 85% of players indicated they would still be willing to play this year, but after Australia and New Zealand withdrew, Dutton conceded he feared a knock-on effect from neighbouring nations who would fill their squads with players from the NRL.

And some good news:

The tournament’s broadcast deal with the BBC will remain in place and after receiving considerable Government support, to the tune of £25m to host the World Cup, Dutton said discussions will take place about further funding .

“We’ve got some conversations to have with Government but we believe we’ll be able to stand on our own two feet through our own strong commercial performance,” he said. “That will ensure we don’t provide any great demand on the public purse.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/05/rugby-league-world-cup-postponed-to-2022-over-covid-fears

3 hours ago, mozzauk said:

I heard this in the car on my way to the Office and a few things came into my head

1. What happens if all the grounds turn round and say no? 

2. How much is the postponement costing? 

3. Why are we going to hold the RLWC in the same year as the World Cup in DOHA? 

4. What about those teams who dont have a professional RL setup and players and officials work outside of RL, 

I think a lot of people are now thinking if they Aus and NZ can send 200+ athletes to the Olympics then why not the RLWC, it smack of the NRL taking away their toys and NZ following to not upset the apple cart.  The (what used to known as) RLIF and the RLWC should have grown a pair... 

1. We're screwed thanks to the NRL

2. Loads probably - obviously we won't be compensated by NRL

3. Because the NRL held a gun to our heads and 'asked' us to postpone it for a year, then pulled the trigger and that means it clashes with the FIFIA World Cup. They won't move the NRL season by 4 minutes to help with this clash.

4. The NRL don't care about them

The IRL/RLWC tried to grow a pair and carry on without them and then the NRL have 'persuaded' everyone (not just Aus and NZ players) not to go.

20 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's because it isn't a real international plan. It is a plan that suppresses the international game to allow the NRL and Origin to carry on doing their thing. 

The NRL must have got wind from the Trojan Horse aka Peter Beattie of the 8 year plan of internationals by the IRL possible mid season windows for internationals or a 6 nations type tournament for the IRL to create revenue. These would require players being released threatening....omg the origin!!

So now it is damage control to discredit the IRL and get the power back, so they say when players can be used.

Edited by rlno1
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I always say the phrase 'four nations' resonated with the public..... A rare case of us nicking some shine from union..... People understand it as a concept due to the 6 nation's. No reason why we can't have a 5 or 6 nation's...... One of the few times I've seen RL chalked up outside pubs in Luton was for the 4 nations

I think a 4 year cycle could look like this:

Yr1 - Australia x 3, PNG, Fiji, France

Yr2 - 4 to 8 Nation Tournament, Wales

Yr3 - NZ x 3, Samoa, Tonga, France

Yr4 - World Cup, France and Wales

One of Tests are great as an event rather then series like union do.

Also England Knights could play curtain raisers against Scotland, Ireland, Jamaica or Serbia

46 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

That is the quote, as I said it`s odd. Does go to show that not everyone is happy, especially if someone is putting their job on the line to say something. Does make you wonder why they call them journalists though, if they aren`t allowed to question anything that the NRL do, NRL mouth piece might be more appropriate.

Rugby League aside, that kind of control of the press obviously extends beyond sports reporting. It's a worry mate (for me) because its a move towards totalitarianism. It's scary, makes me shudder that the barons can make up any old because it suits their agenda, publish it across the Nation and it goes completely unchallenged.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

It depends on your view of the future. The vast majority of people IMHO are sleepwalking into the future assuming that the world is going to keep bumbling along pretty much as it is now. There are many studies, some new and some decades old, that indicate that in the next 20 or 30 years socio economic and geo political disintegration may be a reality and the global Village will fracture back into a much more insular planet. In short, in this time frame the idea of sports teams travelling half way around the world on a plane to a "world Cup" may have disappeared. I am old enough that I really don't care if the future is Utopian or Dystopian, but caving in to the Australian view of international rugby league as if that was important in the long term is laughable

Fox Sports won't allow that

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Very disappointing. Classic RL.

Hopefully, they can regroup and put on a tournament next year. I would really try and bring the season forward so we can avoid a clash with the Qatar WC, one of many problems they're going to have here. At least government funding sounds like it is being retained and hopefully covid is more under control by then but I certainly aren't confident about that.

We aren't far off a NRL buy-out of SL which will become a feeder league for the NRL with Gus Gould 'pathways' from SL to NRL clubs. Pretty sad. I can't remember northern hemisphere RL being in a worse state than it is now in the 30+ years I've been interested.

Interesting the Sky ultimatum to the RFL/Super League restructure. Is this part of the big plan🤔